Charles, Home Owner in Huntsville, AL

How much does a well manicured and landscaped yard add to the value of a home?

Asked by Charles, Huntsville, AL Tue Jun 11, 2013

Hi Charles. Well, it's impossible to put an exact figure to answer your question. Each situation is going to be different, and other factors such as other properties' yards in your neighborhood (for comparison), "curb appeal" of your property, and ability/cost to maintain such a yard. It also depends on your situation--if you are about to sell your home, then you want to make your house (and yard) presentable and appealing to prospective buyers. Keep it cut and fill in spots, trim bushes, etc.

If you are trying to build equity in your home simply to increase the value, there are other projects that are more economical with a larger return on investment (ROI). Here are a couple articles on that subject:

1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 11, 2013
I think it would add. How much depends on the neighborhood. At the very least, it's called a 'compensating factor' - one that may or may not bring in dollars, but puts your home in the 'sold' category vs. the 'expired' category.

If you like this answer or if it was useful to you, a quick click on the green 'thumbs up' would be appreciated.

Kim Eisen
"Helping People Make Smart Real Estate Decisions since 1980"
(651) 457-HOME (4663)

1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 11, 2013
Their is not way to really measure that. To some degree, its just expected to be there. Everything is about first appearances. If your yard looks like a disaster, then a potential Buyer could assume you have maintained (or lack thereof) the inside of the home in the same manner. They may not even go inside if the outside is that bad.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 11, 2013
Probably nothing measurable:
There is no blank space, or column on an Appraisal sheet that shows; "APPARANCE AND LANDSCAPING OF YARD".

But on HGTV, they are always harping on the CURB APPEAL; they have have a show for it.
But how could you measure it?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 11, 2013
Hard to put a number on it. But think about this scenario: you have two homes, side by side, same specs, same price, etc, but House A has nice manicured yard, and House B's yard is a disaster...I'd venture to say House A will sell more quickly and at a higher amount than House B.

If you're trying to sell a house, and you don't have good curb appeal, you're definitely going to have a harder time selling it. You can price the home lower, to account for the lack of good yard, which might help. But you know what they say about first impressions. It's really hard to get past that.

As I said before, there's no way to put a dollar figure on it since I have no idea what kind of property you're talking about, market conditions, price ranges, etc.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 11, 2013
3%-4% of the home's value.

It's impossible to quantify--unless you could have comps--similar houses, one with good landscaping, one without. But, just thinking about houses in my area, I'd expect a differential of 3%-4%.

On top of that, the one with better landscaping is likely to sell faster. Some folks will be so turned off by poor curb appeal that they won't even venture into the home. Or, as HomeBuyer suggests, poor curb appeal is likely to suggest that there are other things wrong with the home.

And that's likely the case. Real estate investors often "Drive for Dollars"--driving around neighborhoods looking for properties whose owners are in distress. One of the obvious signals is a poorly maintained lawn and bushes.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA
I hope you found your answer here. If not and you still have questions feel free to contact me through my website: http://www.laportiapaulk.com or even on my cell 256-701-4266. I would love to come out and help you determine the value of your home.

If you are trying to sell even if you would like to do so by owner I have some great tips to offer you, that will definitely enhance your selling experience.
As a buyer, when I see a unkempt overgrown lawn - red flags are raised in my mind on what other things in the house are needing repair, replacement due to an absence of pride of ownership.
I cannot assign a numeric value to it ... but one thing I can also add is - a well maintained lawn / curb is the initial requirement before I keep a house on my short list.
As a realtor in Huntsville, AL I can tell you that having a maniured lawn as the other realtors here have answered adds great value and curb appeal to your home. Often times even before contacting the owner/real estate agent to see the home a prospective buyer will simply drive past the home. If the curb appeal isn't inviting - (tall grass, broken mailboxes, overgrown plants, etc.) the buyer will move on to the next property on their list. Keep in mind these buyers have seen pictures of the home in its best state and to maintain that and/or increase the curb appeal is an important factor when deciding to sell. It could mean the difference between a selling or not.