Kimchee, Both Buyer and Seller in Jersey City, NJ

How much does a home appraisal cost and can anyone recommend an appraiser?

Asked by Kimchee, Jersey City, NJ Fri Feb 19, 2010

I'm trying to get my condo appraised because the SF seems off on the master deed and the public records. Hoping to get the public record changed or at least be able to justify marketing my condo at a larger SF. Thanks.

Hi Kimchee,

I hope you are well. The problem with not having an accurate sq ft is definitely a struggle both to a home buyer and home seller. Doing your diligence by hiring an appraiser is definitely a great idea to obtain another way of getting the exact sq ft of your home. But before doing that you may want to look at your previous appraisal copy when you bought your home if you are a home seller. If you have that appraisal report, you just saved yourself from spending a couple of hundred dollars. The appraiser I use charge approximately $350.

Please keep in mind that if you found that the sq ft of your home is more and you want to change it on the tax records and the master deed and by-laws, you may also get an increase on your homeowner's monthly fees. Each unit in a condominium building is divide based on the percentage of sq ft that you own. If you prove that you have more sq ft., your monthly fee can also increase if you want to make the changes.

If you don't want to go through all that trouble you can show the appraisal report which shows the sq ft is larger than what it says on the tax records and master deed and by laws and explain to the future home buyer the consequence if you go through the process of changing it through tax records and master deed and by-laws.

Besides, when the buyer buys your home, his or her appraiser will have the same information that your appraiser has based on the sq ft. So long as you can prove that you have more sq ft before marketing your home weather its through tax records, master deed & by-laws or an appraisal report you are ok.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Best of Luck!

Pam McAuley
RE/MAX Gold Coast Realty
56 Newark Street
Hoboken, NJ 07030
(201) 320-0268 Mobile
(201) 795-5200 ext 320 Office
E-mail: pam.mcauley@yahoo.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 20, 2010
Hi Kimchee,

Unfortunately what's done is done with respect to 5 years ago. I always measure my buyer's homes to verify square footage, your agent should have done that also. Unfortunately you'd be shocked at how many agents don't even know how to properly measure a house or a condo to obtain an accurate square footage.

With a condo, you measure from the inside walls and do not include terraces or balconies. Many master deeds make the mistake of including the terrace.

As far as marketing, if you accurately did your own measurements, you can use those instead of the public records or master deed. Just have your agent put in the listing comments that square footage is as per seller measurements and should be double-checked by any buyer to cover yourself. Just be sure you are accurate. Measure along the outer perimeter walls of the unit. I would supply a floor plan with the perimeter dimensions shown so that a buyer can see exactly how you did the calculation. This can also be added to your internet marketing. Buyers love to see great pictures and lots of data!

Marc Paolella
Relocation Director
Century 21 Joe Tekula Realtors
Phone (direct): (973) 584-4235
Web: http://www.marcpaolella.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 19, 2010
What is the appraisal fee for a condo in brooklyn ny
Call me i can get you an appraiser at a good cost. It will cost around $450.

Jose Martinez
I Charge $300.00 for full condo appraisal. I am located within 10 miles and been servicing the hudson county area for over 15 years. L.BALDUCCI@VERIZON.NET
Call me I can help you get an appraiser in any area in the united states.

Jose Martinez
Coldwell Banker Home Loans Hoboken NJ
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 13, 2012
anywhere from $300-500 - I believe, however, a good local realtor always knows home values better than an appraiser
Hi Kimchee

It should be between $500-650 . I wish I knew someone in the area. Call a local bank and speak to their mortgage people and they should be able to recommend .

Good Luck
Thanks everyone. Basically the SF of master deed equals what's in the public records but the master deed calculations are wrong. My husband, a math genius & engineer, recalculated and the SF came out to 100 SF more.

The deed is outdated and has calcuations based on an old layout and walls have been knocked down since then to create an open concept layout. The closets also don't seem to be factored in?

Sounds like it will be ok for me to list the home with the larger SF as long as I can prove with either appraisal or my own recalculated measurements that it was indeed misrepresented. That's my main concern because obviously it's a huge difference when the home price in Hoboken is 400+ per SF!

Thanks for everyone's response. You've all been really helpful!
Hi Kimchee, do your tax records match the sq footage in the master deed? Your real estate agent might have gone by the NJ tax records if that's listed as larger. if that's the case, whichever number you decide to use, yes, you should absolutely disclose that to potential buyers so that they can make an educated, informed decision, and not hold you liable for any misleading information.

I've seen many ancient bi laws, and many times the units are modified over the years and no one ever updates them. If you obtain a professional measurement, I think you should present your case to the board so that the deed/bi laws can be updated. Also, you might want to make a call to the city tax assessor's office to see if you did do this, could it in any way raise your property taxes? It might not, but better to know!

Best of luck to you!

Karina Anillo
RE/MAX Gold Coast Realty
56 Newark Street
Hoboken, NJ 07030
P (201) 795-5200 xt 332

Your appraiser is wrong. Condominium and co-operative apartments are measured paint to paint. This is an industry standard followed by nearly all appraisers. It only makes sense. Any why on Earth would it be different for co-operative apartments?

Developers seek to include mid-wall to mid-wall dimensions to inflate square footage for marketing reasons, and to decrease perceived cost-per-square-foot. But it is incorrect.

Be careful not to take office-meeting guest pronouncements as gospel. Square footage in a condominium and a cooperative apartment is calculated paint-to-paint, and when you think of it, it's just common sense.

Detached homes are measured from the outside walls, apartments are measured from the inside walls.

Marc Paolella
Relocation Director
Century 21 Joe Tekula Realtors
Phone (direct): (973) 584-4235
Web: http://www.marcpaolella.com
I have to disagree with something said below about how a condo is measured. Condos square footage is not measured from inside walls. According to the head of Vanderbilt Appraisers who has spoken at our company meetings, a condo is measured from the outside of an outside wall, and a party wall is measured from the middle of the party wall to the middle of the other party wall. There have been numberous articles in the NY Times and elsewhere about people's dissatisfaction when they bought a condo pre-construction and it seemed much smaller than what they expected once it was built because they assumed the measurements were all from wall to wall. A co-op is paint to paint, but a condo is outside wall and center of party wall and therefore includes many feet of brick and wall, not open space.

Jenet Levy
Halstead Property, LLC
212 381-4268
Hi Kimchee,

I recommend Apex Appraisals they are extremely well experienced and offer reasonable rates for home appraisals and real estate consulting. Their contact info is :

Apex Appraisals

Kyle Cook
50 Harrison St #206
Hoboken, NJ, 07030
(908) 627-1190

I had a customer with a similar situation where the square footage of their condo was about 100 sq.ft. larger than listed in the master deed.

What they did was hire an architect to measure & draw out the unit. Then then had their lawyer amend the master deed and bi-laws with the approval of the condo association to reflect this change.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. I'll be happy to assist.

Walter J. Burns
Weichert Realtors
Hoboken, NJ
201-653-8488 Ext: 230
201-694-8946 Mobile
Thanks Marc, that was some quick reply! I did a quick measurement and it's about 100 SF larger than what's listed on the deed. If I sell the place myself and listed it at my own measurements, won't a potential buyer hold me liable if the SF is not the same as what's listed in the public records/deed?

Also, the agent who sold me the condo 5 years ago actually list my condo at about 350 SF larger than even the public records. Is there anything I can do at this point? I feel like kicking myself for not verifying the SF back then!
Hi Kimchee,

I charge $300 for a condo appraisal, but you may want to just have the unit measured if all you need is square footage verification. You are under no obligation to use the square footage in the master deed if it is wrong.

Marc Paolella
Relocation Director
Century 21 Joe Tekula Realtors
Phone (direct): (973) 584-4235
Web: http://www.marcpaolella.com