How much commision I should pay for buyer agent?

Asked by Richard Chang, Irvine, CA Sat Aug 17, 2013

Answers

17
Shoumo, Home Owner, Fremont, CA
Sat Apr 5, 2014
I am not surprised that these agents who makes the free money based on an archaic system of commissions which was meant to be for under 100K homes, are now doing a cat fight to preserve the same commission rates for 1Million + homes in the San Francisco Bay area. Come on who gives a 45K 3% commission on a 1.5M home. Look for agents who will be happy to work for you at 1% or less, and there are plenty of them :-)
John Souerbry, Agent, Fairfield, CA
Tue Aug 20, 2013
Steve - Thanks for quoting that link! I mentioned earlier in response to this question that agents should consult with their broker before discussing specific numbers. Or their lawyer.
Mike Kashani, Agent, Irvine, CA
Tue Aug 20, 2013
3% if landlord is not paying.
Call me direct and I will help you find homes in Irvine.
thanks,
Warmest Regards,
Mike kashani
Beach Cities Real Estate
Newport Beach Real Estate
DRE#01132565
mike@bcre.com
http://www.bcre.com
Steven Ornel…, Agent, Fremont, CA
Mon Aug 19, 2013
Hi Richard,

Commissions are always negotiable between the Client and Broker/Agent.

For those practitioners responding to this question and quoting a commission percentage please review the following:

"Per Se Antitrust Actions in the Real Estate Brokerage Business"
http://realestate.about.com/od/liabilityandrisk/p/antitrust_…

-Steve
Alexander Gr…, Agent, San Jose, CA
Sun Aug 18, 2013
Looks like you got a lot of different answers below. Hopefully one of them will help. If you are also looking to buy, I can get you started by pre-approving you for a purchase loan. That way you will be able to move on the house you want and you know what is in your budget. You can call me at 408-352-5147 or email me at AGreer@themortgageoutlet.com. You can check us out at http://www.TheMortgageOutlet.com. I will look at your situation and present you with some options.

Alex Greer
Emily Knell, Agent, Huntington Beach, CA
Sun Aug 18, 2013
What do you have for sale? I have clients wanting to move to Irvine from Seal Beach, the husband got transferred from his LA offices to Irvine, so at the moment they're kind of 'in the middle' of LA & Irvine but prefer to just be in Irvine so the commute is less than 20min/day.

They will pay 2.5% to my commission.

Shoot me an email directly or give me a call. I don't look back on this same Trulia thread for answers after mine.

Emily S. Knell
EmilyKnell1@yahoo.com
562-430-3053 c
Realtor Since 1996
Realty ONE Group
Huntington Beach
Cindy Davis, Agent, San Diego, CA
Sun Aug 18, 2013
The average commission for a buyer's agent is 2.5%.
Ann Urias, Agent, tustin, CA
Sat Aug 17, 2013
Hi Richard

My company offers a 3.5% listing program. You pay a total of 3.5% no hidden fees.
We offer a professional full service listing to homeowners from pre-listing to having the sale completed. Moreover additional post purchase advice and assistance is available to you at all times. Total commissions paid is 3.5% which includes selling and listing agent fees. You can Save thousands!! Call Ann for more info 714 588 7676 or email me
David Tsui, Agent, Irvine, CA
Sat Aug 17, 2013
Hi Richard,

It varies depending on how fast you want to sell your home. If you offer higher, more agents will show your home. If you offer lower, fewer agents will show your home. There are strategies to sell homes. If you want to sell your home in the shortest time for the highest price, please give me a call. Let's sit down and discuss about it.

David Tsui
Realty ONE Group
4010 Barranca Pkwy, Suite 120
Irvine, CA 92604
(949)232-2406
Rekha Shah, Agent, Long Beach, CA
Sat Aug 17, 2013
Hello Richard,
It all depends lots factors, like broker, market situation, price, inventory, seller's needs. Commission does not have fixed tag, it is negotiable.
In my opinion minimum 2% is a must for the amount of time agents puts in to do the paperwork & to protect the client by keeping all the legal discloures on timely manner to close the escrow in time .
Call me if need any help.
Rekha
949-202-6106
rrshahoc@gmail.com
DRE # 01895912
Joe Van Foss…, Agent, Fullerton, CA
Sat Aug 17, 2013
Hi Richard,

I would recommend taking a look at other For Sale By Owner homes in the area and see what those sellers are doing. You may also want to see how long those homes have been on the market, especially if you are in a hurry to sell. The market isn't like it was 3 months ago. Sellers have to be quite a bit more savvy now that the inventory has ticked up in Irvine.

If you have any questions or would like a (free/no obligation) marketing consultation, I'd be happy to help.

Joe Van Fossen
(714) 584-7154
joe.vanfossen@gmail.com
Lance King, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Sat Aug 17, 2013
Richard is trying to sell his place without a listing agent and wants to know how much commission buyer's agents normally get.

Richards, that you are asking this question should indicate to you that you don't know the market well enough to be doing this yourself. If you insist on doing it yourself you can offer whatever you want as commissions are negotiable. In San Francisco buyer's agents are typically offered 2.5% but it can be higher or lower depending on the firm and the situation. You should also hire a real estate attorney to prepare the disclosures so you don't end up getting sued later. Hmmm, maybe you should just hire a pro and do it right?
John Souerbry, Agent, Fairfield, CA
Sat Aug 17, 2013
Gosh, agents, even a rookie should know that there are serious legal problems that can come from talking about actual commission rates on a public forum like this. Suggest you speak about this with your brokers.
Sylvia Jonat…, Agent, Irvine, CA
Sat Aug 17, 2013
The commission structure and rate depends on the type of purchase (foreclosure or standard sale, for sale by owner purchase). Feel free to call me at 714-856-7003 to discuss your intended purchase scenario. In some cases, the commission payable by buyer is ZERO! Wouldn't you want to know what the real story is instead of somebody guessing what your question is all about. Call me and get the facts!
John Souerbry, Agent, Fairfield, CA
Sat Aug 17, 2013
Whatever your agent asks for.
John Doyle, Agent, Dana Point, CA
Sat Aug 17, 2013
The standard is 1/2 of the total commission on the listing agreement. If the listing agent is charging 5 percent then it is normally, but not always, 2.5 percent to listing and selling agent.
Joe Homs, Agent, Laguna Hills, CA
Sat Aug 17, 2013
Richard,

If your selling your home you should pay at least 2.5% to the buyers agent. If you would like me to represent you as the listing agent I have extremely competitive rates. Give me a call to discuss.

Joe Homs
949-625-4533
Web Reference:  http://Thehomsteam.com
Commission in Real Estate is considered a legal question and as such it should not be discussed among agents online or in the public. You should discuss this question with the agent you plan to employ to work for you. There are no standard commission rate set forth by the Real Estate Board. However, there are many factors to consider when selecting your agent to discuss the commission rate. The kind of service you expect to receive and the service your agent plans to provide are all examples of what will determine the commission rate. Additionally, paying the right commission is Key when it comes to selling your home in the shortest time. The right rate will generate more showing by agents, particularly if your home is in competition with other homes in your area. Commissions rate in real estate are negotiable when it comes to selling your home. I am sure with a few agents interview you will be able to determine the commission to pay.

Julie Frimpong -
Irvine CA Realtor
http://www.irvinecondohomesales.com
Flag Sun Sep 1, 2013