How important is it to a home seller, that the agent use social media to market the home!?

Asked by Dawn Ohnstad, Wayzata, MN Tue Feb 7, 2012

Answers

9
Joe Houghton, Agent, Plymouth, MN
Tue Feb 7, 2012
I think it completely depends on the seller, but it's been my experience that it is extremely important. Social media is today is a lot like newspapers and magazines were 5-10 years ago.
Teri Eckholm, Agent, St Paul, MN
Wed Feb 8, 2012
Great Question! First of all, Social Media will more than likely not sell your home. However, agents who embrace the concept of social media are usually more internet savvy. This is key to selling in the current market place where 80-90% of all home searches start on the internet.

I will have to admit though...I did sell a listed home to a Facebook friend last year. So homes can sell when marketed on social media.

Good luck with your sale!
Web Reference:  http://terieckholm.com
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Wed Feb 8, 2012
DAwn and Jim social media is just one of the many tools needed to market and advertise a home to potential buyers. I have had sellers who do not want their address or interior pictures put on sites like FB. It ius important for teh listing agent to outline the site sthey use to the seller.
Web Reference:  http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
Jennifer Bla…, Agent, Basking Ridge, NJ
Wed Feb 8, 2012
I don't understand why agents are saying that it depends how tech savvy the SELLER is.... is that to protect you from a seller that might or might not check up on YOUR efforts? Of course social media marketing is important - - especially for tech savvy BUYERS... it is as important as print advertising is to the buyer who still reads the newspaper with their morning coffee. Social media is one more marketing outlet that you can use to get the word out. Don't skip it.
Christopher…, Agent, Tarrytown, NY
Wed Feb 8, 2012
Hi, It depends on how tech savvy the seller is. i think it should be explained to the seller that social media is only one avenue that will aid in the sale of their home. It is a culmination of all marketing efforts that get the job done. You never know where that one buyer is going to come from so you want to make sure you cover all ground.

Chris
Keith & Kins…, Agent, Verona, WI
Wed Feb 8, 2012
I agree with most of the others. An agent should use every tool available to market your home. Almost all sales these days start with an internet search by a buyer. The more exposure on the internet the better. Social Media only gets your property out to more buyers.
Frank Dolski, Agent, Lahaska, PA
Wed Feb 8, 2012
It is imperaive that a Realtor use every single tool that is out there to market a property. The fact is that we live in a society that is technology-driven. Those agents who do not grasp the many mediums to market properties such as Facebook (business/fan page), You Tube, Twitter and more will be left in the dark.
Web Reference:  http://www.FrankDolski.com
Dan Tabit, Agent, Issaquah, WA
Tue Feb 7, 2012
Dawn & Jim,
I believe it shows a comprehensive approach to leaving no stone unturned. I've advertised my open houses & new listings on my Facebook page, but I can't say it has resulted in a sale. I syndicate my listings to Trulia and a number of other sites and go way beyond just the yard sign and MLS. It only takes one buyer to find it to make it all worthwhile for your seller, so I'd encourage it.
allan erps,A…, Agent, Pearl River, NY
Tue Feb 7, 2012
Important, I guess but Facebook may not be appropriate. Internet marketing is still the key