How does having(and treated of course) mold affect the value of your home? How much can we expect to lose?

Asked by Amber Pugh, Wichita, KS Tue Nov 25, 2008

We found mold damage on the back of our house we are planning on ripping out all affected areas. We were told that once you have had mold you must include a disclosure when selling your house. What will that mean for us when it comes to asking and selling price?

Answers

2
John Rafalski, Agent, San Jose, CA
Tue Nov 25, 2008
You should get a Mold clearance from a certified mold inspector before, during(while everything is open) and after. There is probably mold in 60% of the homes out there. I used to do bathroom remodeling and have seen mold in many situations
Maria Morton, Agent, Kansas City, MO
Tue Nov 25, 2008
As long as you have treated it, it's not a problem. Same with termites, radon, wood rot, and anything else in a house. All houses eventually have to have something repaired, replaced, fixed, or treated. The older houses tend to have had more things addressed simply because of their age. If I were you, I would take photos of before and after and also have an inspector take a look at your work AFTER you have completed your remediation. You may or may not want to include the photos when/if you sell the house but at least you will have the option of doing so.
Web Reference:  http://www.MariaSellsKC.com