How do you interview an agent? What are you looking for exactly?

Asked by jdzka01, Londonderry, NH Sat Mar 9, 2013

Answers

9
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Sat Mar 9, 2013
In a nutshell...you should be looking for someone that knows what they are doing....

I often recommend that people trying to identify an agent with which to work, to do so by attending open houses. There are any number of questions that one can ask to help in this process so we recommend that you attent these events with a few prepared questions. One that I like puts the agent in the position of demonstrating their knowledge of the overall local market. "What is the best opportunity presently on the market that is NOT listed by your company?"

You should target "full time" agents for obvious reasons...they should have a greater level of experience and availability to help meet your needs.

Edith Karoli…, Agent, Winnetka, IL
Thu Mar 14, 2013
You are looking for a listing agent to list your home for sale with. So you want to know how they deal with the day in day out marketing and advertising of your home, what they expect from you, how they deal with showings and open houses, and ask them why they would do a good job for you and your home to get sold. Remember that you want to hear the truth from your trusted Agent, not what you would like to hear, that your home is worth more than it really is so you list with that agent NOOOOOO

You want an honest and straightforward agent who will put the numbers and market facts in front of you, will tell you how they will communicate with you, and do all the other things mentioned above....And yes if the agent tells you about things you should be changing or improving on in your home, whether you like them or not, the agent wants to do what is best for your home to get sold and seen by as many buyers as possible, so listen and negotiate with the agent you trust, what is most important and what are
the least expensive but most effective changes you can make to get your home ready for sale.

You also want to know that this agent is your agent you will deal with throughout the listing period, not that he or she is working with a large team and you never know who is going to be doing what.

And then yes who do you trust and like best, you know your trust in the expertise and personality
of the Realtor is the same as if you were selecting your family doctor, dentist or attorney....

If you need a good recommendation or your area and have not yet listed your home, let me know and
I gladly send a good one your way.
Good Luck to you

Sincerely yours,
Edith YourRealtor4Life & Chicago, North Shore & Northern Illinois Expert
Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients, Buyers, Sellers and
Investors alike....And always with a SMILE :)

Covering for @Properties Chicago & suburbs, and with her trusted Partner
Agents US & world wide properties. French, German, some Spanish &more EdithSellsHomes@atproperties.com or EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com
Check out my website at http://tinyurl.com/YourRealtor4Life
Get to know me! Learn about my experience, expertise, services! Read letters
of recommendation! Sign up to search for properties in my expanded service area.
HAVE THE MOST WONDERFUL DAY :)
Team Tringali, Agent, Londonderry, NH
Mon Mar 11, 2013
Hi there,

Feel free to ask anything and everything and go with your gut!!! Choose someone who makes you feel comfortable, inspires you and makes you feel taken care of and confident. Choose a full time agent and one who is busy and knows how to handle all sorts of transactions. You are lucky to have thousands of agents to choose from, the down side is trying to get to the really good and qualified ones who will make a difference in your real estate transactions.

Let me know if you need any more tips or ideas. I am a top agent in Southern New Hampshire and happy to offer you my services! I live and my office is based in Londonderry. Feel free to call me for a free market analysis or an extensive interview :)

All the best, Danielle Tringali /Team Tringali/Prudential Verani Realty 603-845-2112

Team Tringali
Danielle A. Tringali
REALTOR®
Prudential Verani Realty

603-845-2112 (office)
781-640-0723 (cell)

2012 Top 10 Realtors for Prudential Verani Reality/ Ozzie Award Winner

2012 Prudential President's Circle Winner

2012 Achiever of the Year

http://www.TeamTringali.com
Annette Law…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Sat Mar 9, 2013
JD,
That's a great question.
In a past life I helped healthcare companies write requirements that ONLY my company could meet. Your questions will garner exactly the same response. My list of published interview questions would include only those things I excel at and others will not.
-
Does that help or have any meaning or benefit for you? No.
-
There are seven questions you need answered. These, however, are not questions you can ask, The right agent will fully satisfy these questions in their presentation. If they do not, you need to able to say, "Next." Sometimes, it is hard to do when face-to-face with all those pretty people.
-
Two of the seven question are:
1. How long will it take?
2. What will it cost?
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.

At the end of the interview, you glance at the list and you will KNOW if the agent succeeded. You will feel the PEACE. You will experience the ASSURANCE that you are in good hands. You will TRUST the agent who through their focus on YOUR needs, set their agenda aside to focus on your goals. You will UNDERSTAND real professionals ask intelligent, probing questions that reveal your real purpose. You will become an integral part of a TEAM that has but one goal.

If you want the remaining five questions, and this is important to you, CALL is what you must do.
(I will not return to or follow this question unless I get a TU or BA. That means follow up questions or using the 'contact' link or Trulia email will get no response from me.)

Or, lacking a better plan, you can just count who has the most letters appended to their name!
NOTE: With the exception of two, appended letters is the least significant and most deceptive of all agent strategies.

Best of success to you,
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax Realtec Group
Palm Harbor, FL
727.420.4041
http://RealEstateMadeEZ.us

Scotsdale Bluffs, Dunedin Home Tour
http://youtu.be/KTuVUxNDpOQ
Josh Barnett, Agent, Chandler, OK
Sat Mar 9, 2013
By asking them questions and someone that you feel good about working with.
Scott Hulen, , 64068
Sat Mar 9, 2013
Picking a Realtor®; you should interview several Realtors® before making a decision. Do not solely rely on a referral! Do the work yourself and interview several. Here’s a short check list of questions to ask & things to consider:
1) The paperwork involved in this process is extremely complicated, having stated this It is important that a Realtor be “practiced at our trade” pick a Realtor® which has completed 15+ transactions the previous year
2) Interview 3-5 full time Realtors® (very few part-time agents have the same skills as a person who works Real Estate on a full time basis)
3) Do not choose a Realtor® who proclaims themselves as “EXPERTS” because they have taken a seminar and have a designation on their business card. (CDPE, ABR, CRS and others) many of these expert classes require less than 16 hours of training and everyone who pays the fee passes. The experts are the ones who run the race not just buy the t-shirt.
4) Do a basic back ground check on your Realtor® use a site like PIPL or just goggle their name, this usually turns up items such as lawsuits, bankruptcies or other items which you feel might interfere or conflict with a Realtor® representing your best interest. Ps: this does not work for a John Smith
5) Once you have interviewed your potential Realtors® and if you are still unsure and want a “trail run” sign an exclusive buyers agency for 48 hours with the Realtor® and explain if all goes well in the beginning then you will be willing to commit for 3-6 months.
6) Work with a Realtor® which is local to your area. Meaning a 10-20 mile radius, they will know the schools, shopping and the growth potential of the area without having to go look it up!

Before you even start this process consider purchasing the book by Dave Ramsey “The Total Money Makeover” this will provide valuable information in regard to having a successful financial life & make a prudent home purchase!

That’s your list! Good Luck!
Keith & Kins…, Agent, Verona, WI
Sat Mar 9, 2013
Below is a link to one of our blog posts that has a whole bunch of questions to ask agents when deciding who to go with. The three most important things I would say are make sure the agent knows what they are doing, their personality clicks with yours, and they are available at times when you would typically look at houses.
Roland Vinya…, Agent, Sprakers, NY
Sat Mar 9, 2013
I imagine others will give you lots of specifics, so I'll skirt that. The very first thing I would look for is some excitement in the agent. If he or she is not excited by the prospect of selling your home, there is a problem. And it's either with him or with your price.

You can ask about the level of experience of both them and their firm, marketing plans, what kind of buyer they expect will eventually take the place, how many sales they make each year... Ask yourself "If I was a buyer, would I want to work with them?"

Expect frankness and honesty, perhaps even telling you some things you do not like - they will be looking at your property through the eyes of potential buyers.
Tracey Langd…, Agent, Stratham, NH
Sat Mar 9, 2013
Good Morning

Depending on what kind of an agent you are looking. Here are a few questions to get you started. Also you should be able to feel comfortable with the agent you chose.

As a buyer:

How will you search for my new home?
Do you know the area?

As a seller:

How will you market my home?
How often do you advertise?
Will you show me a sample flyer?
Do you know the area?

Hope this helps
Tracey Guy
The Gove Group