How do you avoid agents not showing up for appt's. to reshow your home without a call to cancel,

Asked by Arlene, 10956 Thu Aug 16, 2007

Answers

15
Keith Sorem, Agent, Glendale, CA
Thu Aug 16, 2007
Arlene
I appreciate your frustration. The most important thing to remember that "accessibility" is one of the most important factors in maximizing exposure to your home. I don't know all the details of your market and sale, however this is what I would share with my clients: "The more accessible (easy to show) your home is, the less market time we will have".

Also, I would verify that your Realtor has posted a virtual tour with wonderful pictures. There are homes that actually sell soley from the Virtual Tour...that might reduce the number of showing but help the home sell more quickly.
Keith
Bruce Lynn, Agent, Coppell, TX
Thu Aug 16, 2007
I don't understand the question exactly, but I'll try to answer. If the agent did not show up without cancelling there can be a couple of issues. One is they might have run out of time. Another is the driveup appeal. Sometimes we get to a home and the client doesn't like the driveup or location and wants to skip the home tour. You might have your agent call the showing agent and ask them to come back or to reschedule. Is it the same agent who consistantly does not show, or is it multiple agents?
Web Reference:  http://www.teamlynn.com
Deborah Madey, Agent, Brick, NJ
Thu Aug 16, 2007
While no one can disagree that such behavior is rude, I would not suggest a blanket determination that the agent shall not be allowed to show your property.

First, it does not make good business sense. If that agent has the right buyer client to purchase your house, you want and need that buyer. If there is a real buyer for your property attached to that agent, we want to get that buyer in your property. Second, most real estate laws on agency in most states , as well as association ethical guidelines, require that we be fair and honest in our dealings with customers, even when we are not their represenatives. If the buyer wanted to reschedule, and had an exclusive buyer agency relationship with their agent, the denial of such appointment may be construed as a legal or ethical violation. As an agent, there has been more than one time that I have had to struggle with a difficult agent on the other side of the transaction. It's my job.

If you are a seller, ask your Realtor to follow up with the agent who missed the appointment. This is an example of where neutral party intervention brings value to the table for the client. The lisitng agent can inquire the reason for the missed appointment. If there is a potential buyer attached to that Realtor, the listing agent can pursue a reschedule. If not that buyer, maybe that Realtor has another buyer. It then falls to the listings agent to follow up and reconfirm any appointments made by that buyer agents reinforcing the expectation of a courtesy call in the event of any changes.

Unfortunately, Arlene, it happens. I just had an agent schedule, cancel, reschedule and cancel again. We received the phone calls, but the seller was still highly inconvenienced by this. It is the minority of agents, yet it rings out loudly in our memory as a result of the frustration.

Rely on your lisitng agent to follow up, find out the reason, and reinforce the need for communicaiton from the offending agent.
Ken Pujdak,…, , Greenville, SC
Thu Aug 16, 2007
Arlene:

It is very rude for anyone let alone a Realtor to make an appointment then not show up and not even bother to call you to cancel or apoligize. The missed appointment may have been due to the buyer missing the appointment, however, that doesn't excuse the agent for being rude.

One way to avoid having that particular agent from attempting to show your home again is to write down the agents name and match it against future calls for apppointments. You could also call the agent's broker in charge and mention the rudeness and request the agent not be allowed to show your property.

I feel your pain. When I sold my last house, my wife and I would spend several hours preparing the house (it was 7500 sqft) just to have no shows and no cancellations. Arlene, unfortunately, it goes with the territory. Take it in stride and remember, what goes around, comes around.
Web Reference:  http://sellmyhomeken.com
Lois Berman, , New City, NY
Wed Jan 19, 2011
It is just common courtesy for an agent to cancel an appointment instead of just not showing up. If you are working with an agent, the buyers agentnt should call your agent as soon as they konow they will not be coming. Most agents do act in a professional manner and would do that. Thaose of the ones that we want to do business with!
Web Reference:  http://www.loisbermanre.com
Sylvia Walter, Agent, Stony Point, NY
Sun Jul 5, 2009
It is frustrating, and really there is no excuse for not following up with a quick phone call to cancel. We all know clients get caught in traffic or some unplanned dilemma occurs and our well intentioned appointment is blown. COURTESY is the key - ALWAYS remember someone was waiting, or left their home, just for your scheduled appointment. Sounds simple, but yet I know from time to time my seller's have experienced that appointment that never happened. I usually follow up with a phone call. I find out WHY ,ask if they are planning to reschedule, and also encourage them to call next time to CANCEL so that my client is not inconvenienced. I also know that the agent could have a buyer for my seller and we all want to see SOLD!!
A little Consideration is the key - not only as a realtor but in life itself.
Debbie Herman, Agent, New City, NY
Tue Jun 30, 2009
Hi Arlene,
I'm not one of those agents. I always call the homeowner or listing agent to cancel if my customer cancels on me which is why the agent usually doesn't show up. This rarely happens when I have a listing if ever, because I am very accessible to the agents my cell phone is always on and I call my seller immediately. That's all I can say. On the average Real Estate Agents are very responsible, but remember they are also people so there is always one bad apple. Hopefully that won't discourage you. If you have any more questions please feel free to call me
Web Reference:  http://www.debbieherman.com
Marty Remo, Agent, Central Valley, NY
Sat Apr 26, 2008
Try to take control your appointments. At Remo Realty, we log in all of our appointments and confirm these appointments with our sellers. This allows us to obtain feedback, and track the agents that are coming in and out of your home. We require the buyer's agent to call and cancel if they are not going to show up. If it becomes a recurring problem with a particular agent, we can deal with it on our end.
Web Reference:  http://www.RemoRealty.com
Kathy Drewien…, , Atlanta, GA
Thu Aug 16, 2007
I know it is an aggravation, at best -- more so when someone has expressed an interest. I suggest you contact your agent and have them contact the agent representing the buyer. If you are not represented by an agent, I suggest you call the buyer's agent and inquire if you were confused about the day/time.

Yes, they should have contacted you if there was a problem; but, stuff happens. Take the high road and avoid suggesting their behavior was rude. Gaining an offer requires some flirting and wooing.

Diane Glander, Agent, Spring Lake, NJ
Thu Aug 16, 2007
There's not much you can do as the homeowner. There's not much a listing agent can do either. We all just need to be more courteous to eachother. There are lots of reasons appointments get cancelled, but NO reason for the buyer's agent to not make a phone call to the seller to let them know you are not coming. It happens a lot in this day and age due to our overscheduled lives, but there's more to it. The buyers are holding back a bit. They are afraid to make a decision in this market. It's frustrating for everyone. You can ask your listing agent to remind people to call and cancel if they cannot make an appointment. Sometimes that works!
Web Reference:  http://www.dianeglander.com
Deborah Madey, Agent, Brick, NJ
Thu Aug 16, 2007
Arlene,

Sorry to hear that. It is frustrating, rude and unfortunate. Still, if it is possible contract for you, it is worth it to have your Realtor call the buyer agent and see if there is still interst.

If I were the lsiitng agent, I would convey inconvenience but not anger or hostility. We want the contract, and we want attentiveness, too.

Ask your agent to follow up. Good luck
Arlene, , 10956
Thu Aug 16, 2007
This was the 2nd showing to the same buyer & her husband this time. I was told by the agent she just loved my home and wanted her husband to see it. . I am home when the house is shown at all times because I have a dog., they are also told to call before they come. Only one has done so since the house is listed.
Carrie Crowe…, Agent, Southaven, MS
Thu Aug 16, 2007
Bruce is right. Sometimes when you get to a house the client declines to enter. The agent should still call the listing agent and cancel as a courtesy, but the seller has probably already made plans to be gone at that time. He is also right about running out of time. Sometimes you schedule a series of appts and your client runs behind getting to the first appt and you run out of time before you could get to all of the homes. Again, the agent should call the listing agent and give an explantation as a courtesy! I know it is frustrating. We have all had sellers that have picked up and left home, only to find no one had been there while they were gone! It is very disappointing! I hope this helps, do have your agent put in the remarks to please call if they need to cancel for any reason!
Web Reference:  http://carriecrowell.com
Ana Lee, , Houston, Pearland, Pasadena, Friendswood. Fresno, Manvel, Alvin, Deer Park, La Porte
Thu Aug 16, 2007
Very simple, make sure your listing agent requests that showing agents call and cancel any appointments if their buyers are not going to show up. This can be added on the MLS in agent remarks or with the showing service if your Realtor is using one. Although, as a Seller, you must understand that as frustrating as it is to get ready and go out to kill some time during a set appointment time just to return and find out that no even came to see the house, cannot be regulated by anyone. Your listing agent surely has no control, and the Buyer agent has less if they are meeting the prospective buyers at you house. I'm sorry this is causing you some aggravation, please discuss it with your listing agent.so that she can let the Realtors know that someone will be home during the showing. An experienced Realtor can sell around you if you just stay out of their way and don't speak to the prospective Buyer when the showing is going on; let the Realtor sell your house.
ginger magoon, Agent, College Station, TX
Thu Aug 16, 2007
Have your Real Estate agent post in private remarks to please call you and cancel if they will not be showing up at your home. Many times it is not the agents fault for the no show but it is the responsibility of the agent to call and cancel. Also when they call to make an appt. get the agents name and phone number and call them to confirm before you go out of your way to leave your home so that your property can be shown. Calling the buyer agent back prior to showing may not solve every no show but it will probably decrease the number of them. Good luck on selling your home. :>)
Web Reference:  http://www.gingermagoon.com