jr, Real Estate Pro in Wilmington, DE

How do we find a RE agent who will take us seriously?

Asked by jr, Wilmington, DE Mon Jun 15, 2009

The problem is the RE agents we have spoken with have either blown us off or just been plain flakey. We are very flex with our price, reasonable people. We do have renters in our house until Sept. and we are living in NY. Could these be reasons we are unable to get any call backs or serious takers on the selling of our house? Also what is the % rate that agents are willing to work for these days (and no this has never come up, and is not the reason we haven't found an agent ;)

I have included a link to our home in the Trolley Square area, listed on Craigslist. We are moving forward until we find an agent.

Hello, there,

Sounds like you have had a difficult time. May I ask a couple of questions? Have you met with any agent in person? It is possible to do a listing via remote, but at some point, since NY is within driving distance I would think you would have wanted to meet with an agent face-to-face. However, if you are not able to do so, that does not preclude your getting good service.

Before I made a decision regarding whether or not to list the house, I would like to inspect it. You state you have tenants in there. Are they cooperative? Will they allow me to come through with a prior arrangement from you? Trolley Square, while a very desirable area, is also experiencing serious decreases in value. So if you are flexible on your price, both from a listing standpoint and from a sales standpoint, then I would certainly be willing to work with you. These matters can be handled quite efficiently these days with email and the various web sites that will allow tremencous exposure for your property. Our office also does a lot of work in the Trolley Square area and we have a team of agents very knowledgeable on the ins and outs of the area. I, personally, would like to take a couple of these agents with me to inspect the property prior to determining an appropriate price. The price point you are currently using is experiencing longer market time but it varies from property to property. And condition is of paramount importance. I use a professional stager to help market certain properties.

As for commission rates, that's negotiable. However, in the economic climate that we are experiencing I strongly encourage sellers not to attempt a listing 'on the cheap'. It can act as a deterrent when property showings are scheduled. We are all working harder for the money these days so agents need to be compensated appropriately.

I will be more than happy to help you. You can check out my web site and my company's web site and call my with any questions you might have.
Web Reference: http://www.DianeRiffee.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 15, 2009

The fact that you have tenants until Sept and you live in NY should not stop someone from listing your home. If your tenants are uncooperative, that causes some problems, but as long as you give the proper notice, a tenant normally cannot stop someone from showing the home.

As for commission rates, I recommend not listing it for less than 5%.

As a seller these days, you have to price the property to sell so that it is not sitting on the market.

I would be happy to help in any way I can, so feel free to give me a call at (302) 540-5373.
Web Reference: http://www.jroark.com

Good Monday Evening! I can appreciate your frustration and anger. I am extremely passionate about helping people with their real estate needs and will help you 24/7 with any questions, concerns or problems you might face. You can contact me 24/7 on my cell phone at (302) 373-9371. Let's talk and see if I can be of help to you. Thank you!

John Ferraro-Prudential Fox&Roach
My name is Mike Rayno I work for Prudential Fox & Roach. I have a team in Delaware that I know will be willing to help you.
If you wish me to set up an appointment to speak with someone on my team just send me an email
Mike Rayno
I'm assuming that you are talking to agents in deleware about your home that you would like to sell. Otherwise, you may find some resistance in getting someone to list your home knowing that it can't be sold and taken possesion of until Sept, for some listing contracts that could be half of the listing period or more that a new homeowner wanting to move in would have to wait. Unless you can get an agreement from your current tenants to break their lease....you might have to wait. Sorry, but I hope this helps. Oh, about the % rate....commission is always negotiable, don't let anyone tell you what the "going" or "average" rate is.