How do I make a home look good at an open house when the interior is in need of updating?

Asked by Fishersay, Suffolk County, NY Thu May 31, 2012

Answers

3
Edith Karoli…, Agent, Winnetka, IL
Sat Jun 2, 2012
Oh Mary,
I hope you will work with an experienced Realtor to give you some good advice here.

Usually I suggest a few things to my clients that are in a similar situation and do not want to put
a lot of money into the home before selling.

A if you have heavy curtains remove them, bring in as much light and sunshine as you can into the
home. Set the dining room table with wonderful table cloth, candles, fresh flowers and lovely china, make it look like you are getting ready for a great dinner with friends...

Set the kitchen table to make it look like someone will be having miffins and hot chocolate....

Have some wonderful plantings at the front door just some nice flowering pots....
And new mat for cleaning the feet something pretty and inviting

Then if need be ask your Realtor if paint on a few walls, like deep red on one wall of the dining room, or lovely green yellow or blue, depending on your cabs will enhance the kitchen.

Paint is still one of the cheapest ways of making things look clean and more updated

Then your Realtor can help with staging, i.e. moving around some furnishings sometimes from room to room, like a lovely desk in a bedrooms could have more impact in a living room corner or as a side table in the hall way... and removing some furniture will make the place look larger.

And then make it smell delicious....
I have a few different ways I suggest to my client
a) pop buttered pop corn
b) or pop a cinnamon bun or two in the toaster oven or micro to make it smell like you just baked

vanilla candles in the bathrooms and the bedrooms are also nice

So your all set up and uncluttered (only if necessary by the suggestion of your Realtor, they will know, as they will look at your home with the eyes of a buyer)

If you want to add anything and spend a little money a big very well working suggestion is
mirrors, they reflect the rooms and the light, they make things look brighter and bigger...

You could buy a large one and just lean in a corner of one of the rooms Living room family room or
and make it more dramatic, and you and you can hang one in a small entrance to open it up
just look around and see where you could replace a Painting or other artwork with a nice size
mirror....

Just a few ideas, I am full of them, and have been super successful with staging and recreating a home before listing it for my clients...

Good luck to you, you will get it sold....

EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com
@Properties North Shore, 30 Green Bay Rd, Winnetka, Il. 60093
covering the city of Chicago, all N and NW suburbs and the fine homes of the North Shore
Edith always works in the very BEST interest of her clients, Buyers, Sellers and Investors alike and she certainly goes the x-tra Mile with a Smile for all her clients with experience and market expertise

Have a wonderful Day!
Helena Genti…, Agent, Plainview, NY
Thu May 31, 2012
Mary,

Barring any cosmetic changes to the home, I suggest you present the property in the best light possible. For example....remove ALL clutter, have the home neat as a pin, light a scented candle so the smells are inviting, bring in as much natural light as possible, ensure homeowner has the landscaping up to snuff and be welcoming! If the home is priced properly for a buyer to be able to rationalize putting some funds towards the updates then you should do fine. If at all possible, see if the homeowner can do some minor things like more modern couch covers or a change or window coverings, perhaps a more modern mirror or artwork. You get the picture, it doesn't necessarily take a complete kitchen remodel or a ton of money to have the home attractive to the potential buyers.

Helena Gentile
Thank you so much for responding. I will get some candles. The owner is a smoker and has a dog. I asked that she not smoke in the house. We'll see...
Flag Thu May 31, 2012
Kyla Varney, Agent, Wyalusing, PA
Thu May 31, 2012
Make sure the home is clutter free. Accentuate with colorful vases of flowers on tables. Add warmth with pillows on a couch and beds. Bathroom: Use a pretty basket and put some rolled towels and washclothes in it and add some colorful soaps. Vacuum the interior, wash windows, dust and cobwebs removed. Homey room air fresheners help to create a home sweet home feel and deter any pet smells. Most buyers want to add their own special touches to a home after buying it. Give them a warm welcome and let then let the buyer use their imagination from there. Good luck!
Thank you so much for responding. I will definitely work on some of those ideas....
Flag Thu May 31, 2012