How do I list my house for sale with no fees?

Asked by Donelda Warren, Glenville, NY Wed Apr 11, 2012

Answers

8
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Wed Apr 11, 2012
How ironic that you are choosing not to work with an agent, but need guidance on your marketing strategies. For maximum exposure, do consider an agent; you can try Craig's List, or any other for sale by owner sites, word of mouth, post fliers locally, hold an open house, etc.
Dennis Evans, Agent, Clifton Park, NY
Sun Mar 29, 2015
I am always here to help anyone looking to sell their home, No matter if they are for sale by owner, But it may make sense to check out what will put more money in your pocket after the sale... When buyers see "for sale by owner" then they want a very discounted price and when you reach a smaller pool of people, the odds that you are getting the best price is not very good, so, Im always here, but if you want to end up with the most money, A realtor may make sense for you!
Carrieland, Home Buyer, Glenville, NY
Thu Jun 19, 2014
HaHa.. As said by a realtor.. Theres a site called " for sale by owner" that might have the other sided conversation on the matter... theres pricing packages to give you an idea if thats the direction you want to go...I was thinking the same thing.. after a story my realtor neighbor told me about double ending a deal and making 16,000 of someone elses equity they've spent time, work and money earning over the years.. So, you might have to arrange the inspections n pay 200-300 dollar permits for this and that .. exposure you CAN get at a decent price is how it looked to me.. Good Luck, let me know how it goes... or give me a heads up if you find a NEVER DO THIS reason.. :) Carrie
voices member, Home Buyer, Alabama
Wed Apr 11, 2012
As far as listing a home as "For Sale By Owner" goes, it is a common misconception that its an easy task to accomplish while avoiding fees. However, if you feel you are capable of handling it, then by all means I wish you the best of luck!

A couple of essential values you would get working with an agent is expert knowledge and exposure. An agent is trained to SELL your home in the quickest time possible. Realtors have tools available to them that neither you or the general public can access. These tools are important in marketing your home for sale and drawing in interested buyers.

More often than not, a buyer is going to be working with a buyer's agent. This Realtor shows them houses that are available for viewing and listed where usually only agents can see them. While anyone can just google homes for sale in your area, or hop on trulia to look for houses, Realtors have the ability to see the houses on the market and all the conditions/specifications of it, and will therefore drive more quality buyers to your home.

Good luck to you with whichever path you decide to take.

Isiah Youngblood, Realtor®
Deborah Brac…, Agent, STATEN ISLAND, NY
Wed Apr 11, 2012
I agree with Anne, you've chosen to do this alone and already you have a question. Believe me, there will be more to come, it's not as easy as you think. I can't stress enough to let a "professional" do a "professional" job of selling your home. Your home, your most personal and valuable possession, is worth it, isn't it???
Gail Gladsto…, Agent, 11743, NY
Wed Apr 11, 2012
The only way to list without fees is to sell by owner. You may save 4, 5, 6% in commission, but it will cost you dearly.

National Association of Realtors statistics shows that sellers represented by a Realtor end up selling for almost 21% more than owners selling on their own.

You tell me...which way will save you money?
Christine Se…, Agent, Rotterdam, NY
Wed Apr 11, 2012
There are several common fees, but every state is different
The realtor fee is a negotiated fee of the purchase price and this is decided on before the home is listed for sale by a realtor/company. If you do not have a realtor, you are saving this brokerage fee but are looking to do an extreme amount of work and communicating to get your home sold on your own.

But you will still need title insurance. Actually, the buyer needs the insurance, but the seller normally pays $200 - $300 to prove that there are no liens on the property. Then there are attorney’s fees, and recording fees, and possibly termite and other inspection fees that vary by state and jurisdiction. These can amount to 1% to 2% of the sale amount. Since you are the seller, you get to pick the title company.

All fees are deducted from the sale of the home. Unless, the home sells for less than the amount owed to the bank .

A realtor will offer the best price for the home given the certain market conditions in your area. I am an agent in your immediate area and if you should want a FREE Home Market Analysis of your home to see what your home is worth please feel free to contact me. I am a local realtor in your area!
Christine Serafini
(518)514-8830
christine@maddalone.net
Jennifer Bla…, Agent, Basking Ridge, NJ
Wed Apr 11, 2012
Something to consider - - any fees you "save" you will likely end up incurring with a lower net sale price and with the headaches you will experience throughout the process given that you won't have the help and support of someone who has navigated these waters over and over again!