How do I list a home for sale by owner?

Asked by Michigan, 80238 Tue Feb 7, 2012

Answers

41
Bob Gordon, Agent, Boulder, CO
Wed Feb 8, 2012
FSBO - Buy a sign, put it in your yard; start advertising online and in the paper; make full color flyers and stock them in your flyer box. Add QR codes so people can use Smartphones to go from flyers to your website to learn more about the home. Get a Lockbox so buyer's agents can show your home when you are not there. Find a way to safely vouch that buyer's agents are who they say they are, so you know who is entering your home. Put all valuables away (Bills, jewelry, etc.). Hire a stager to help get your house looking saleable. Hire a professional photographer for great photos - a picture tells a thousand words. A dark photo tells one: your home is gloomy. Start getting your home out to the internet: Zillow, Hotpads, Trulia, MLS, FB, Twitter, LinkedIn. Fax info sheets to agents with similar listings. Update your ads and online content every week. Post to craigslist and backpage at least once a week. Keep an ad in the newspaper. This pretty much everything I do for my listings, so I'm recommending from experience. One word of caution - selling FSBO is tough, so be aware ninety percent of your responses will be Realtors calling to get your business. Good luck.
You are SO right about 90% of the responses are realtors calling with a sales pitch to get my business!
Flag Thu Jul 27, 2017
Not if you threat them with The department of Estate.
Flag Wed Jul 26, 2017
It's not that tough. I enjoyed it too. No one take care of you better than you.
Flag Sat Nov 28, 2015
Wow, what a bunch of crap with a
smile.
Flag Mon Oct 19, 2015
Bev West, Agent, Greeley, CO
Sat Apr 27, 2013
Listing your home as a "For Sale By Owner" has a lot of sellers thinking they can save money on commission and put more money in your pocket.

Keep in mind-there is a reason why Realtors have to carry Errors and Ommission Insurance. Selling a home has a lot of liability and that is why we are licensed and take continuing education credits all year long. What you save in commission by listing it yourself could cost you more in the end.
Please contact us we want to sell our property. pastorgerrylopez@hotmail.com
Flag Wed May 24, 2017
That's why you retain a Lawyer.
Flag Wed May 10, 2017
I agree - for the money they collect from the seller - It is crazy. I agree with the statement - that is what attorneys are for to make sure it goes smoothly and it is a lot cheaper. Yes you will have to vet the buyers but do that through your add - they have to send you via email their pre-approval or better a bank commitment letter that they have being throughly approved for a loan. Ask for references and check this out before they come to your home. Always have someone with you and make sure you have your security system panic button in your pocket if you feel the least bit hesitant. I would put a security system on while selling in case someone is casing the joint and especially if you are away a lot. I say talk to an attorney and find out the costs moving forward before you list the house for sale including all taxes/fees, et. Make sure you know exactly what your rights are and what you have to provide a potential buyer. And agents aren't always looking out for the seller
Flag Wed Dec 14, 2016
Total BS she trying to scare you into using an agent. My experience with R/E agents has not been good. I rank them about one step above a USED CAR salesperson. The amount of $ they make for the work put in is obsene especially in a bullish market.
Flag Tue May 31, 2016
False, Real Estate Agents cause the whole process to take longer and be much more difficult. We have sold by owner and with agents and I will never use and agent again. A contract can be a simple one page document that you send to a title company. DONE DEAL!
Flag Tue Mar 22, 2016
Bunch of crap.
Flag Sun Mar 20, 2016
thats not true thats why there are re attorneys ,to make sure everything goes smoothly
Flag Thu Feb 18, 2016
That is so untrue what you say. If you make an error you never come through with out a court case. The fact is real estate agents are only out for themselves. Lets say they push you to drop your price by 10 thousand bucks well that is allot to you. To them it is nothing off what they make in profit very little comes through the bottom line in a loss for them. The faster and more they turn over at a low price is an advantage to them not you.
They do not much really once they list and put pictures in paper to make the large profit margin. It is not that much work in reality. They will always push once listed with them for a lower price giving all sorts of excuses for you to do so. They are not loyal to you believe me they have a coffee with the purchasers agent and they work out how they can get you to come down low in price to get it sold to the purchaser quickly and get the deal to make that large profit.

Come on now you know yourself this is true your all leaches.
Flag Thu Jan 14, 2016
what ever plus 7 to 8 percent commission and a contract that keeps you from being able to sell your own home realtors want a check that's all don't care that home owner is living else were and still paying all taxes and bills while the realtors sets at their dest in control of you and your bills with a contract.
Flag Tue Sep 15, 2015
all realtors are they same, begging for work.. if something can be done on your own why higher someone who was just sitting at a computer, and then one day was like ill take a few test and make a profession.....
Flag Tue Jan 6, 2015
Once you get the earnest money, use a real estate lawyer to do the closing. I do and have saved several tens of thousands over the years, while insuring my A-- is covered. My Lawyer charges about what any escrow office would and makes sure I am protected cause he works for ME!
Flag Tue May 27, 2014
That's why people get Title Insurance.
Flag Sat Mar 29, 2014
Thats nothing but " Panic Peddling" for your own best interest !
Flag Thu Jul 25, 2013
Magikgenie, Home Owner, Boulder, CO
Fri Apr 26, 2013
The problem is that realtors are ALWAYS going to advocate that you use a realtor. Duh! In my market their 3% is an average of $18,000 per sale. With the market the way it is right now, there is no reason that you can not sell a home your self. I have only listed my house on zillow "make me move" and I have received calls from several realtors, one today who is very serious about my home for an out of state buyer. After having done research, there are several "for sale by owner" websites that will help you with the process and get you on realtor.com and your local mls. Right now I am leaning towards owner.com which has a flat fee of $395. Save yourself many thousands of dollars - it is not rocket science to sell your own home like the realtors would have you believe.
please contact us to learn how sell our home? pastorgerrylopez@hotmail.com
Flag Wed May 24, 2017
In Virginia the seller has to pay 6%. It goes to one agency or 2 if sold by another agency. I just think this can be done quicker and better without all this going back and forth. I think 3% is well enough and the agents need to sell their own properties or let the buyers pay their agent. Never ever give an agent more than 30 days to sell your home so you can get another one if there are issues. I almost slipped into 5 or 6 months but pulled back to 3 months - should have done 30 days.
Flag Wed Dec 14, 2016
The bottomline is that 98% of transactions are facilitated by a Realtor. Those are just the facts. It's unfortunate that so many people think so little of professionals and it has a lot to do with the majority of Realtors not being very good at their job. A good realtor is valuable for his negotiating, expertise and network. In fact, Realtors get 13% more for a home compared to the 2% of sales that take place without one. So paying a commission of 6% for both parties to get an increase of 13% makes a lot of sense.
Flag Sun Dec 20, 2015
My Realtor charges $295 regardless if the home sells or not, so there goes Julie Montgomery's comment. This is being done by brokers across the nation. All they brought me was a "pre-qualified" buyer who was per-qualified by the agent, not a bank. It kept me tied up and off the market for over 2 months. That is hardly worth the $295, now is it? I can do better on my own, and have. At least, buyers have to produce a prequalification letter from a bank when they go through me.
Flag Thu Dec 18, 2014
Oh, by the way, Realtors don't get paid a dime until your home sells and closes. Companies like the one you mentioned collect the $395 upfront and that's it. They get paid regardless of your home sells or not (and they don't care).
Flag Sun Mar 23, 2014
If it were that easy, there would be no realtors, and as you know, there are FAR too many realtors. Sellers think that once their home is under contract, the mission is complete. Nothing could be further from the truth. One of the biggest problems trying to FSBO is finding "qualified" buyers who are, for the most part, in the cars of licensed real estate agents that won't show FSBOs. Julie M. Denver, O
Flag Sun Mar 23, 2014
Asking your for what? It doesn't look like he asked you anything.
Flag Wed Oct 2, 2013
Then why are you asking us?
Flag Fri Sep 13, 2013
Jocelyn Cock…, Agent, Denver, CO
Tue Feb 7, 2012
Michigan,

Selling your largest investment shouldn't be taken lightly. More so than how to go about marketing a For Sale By Owner property, you should really nail down the why. If it's to save commission, I pose this question to you - is it more important that you don't pay a Realtor or that you put the most amount of money you can in your pocket at closing. If it's the second, most of the time a savvy agent will work for you saving you time and headache, and net more to you than if you sold the home yourself. It's something to consider. I've successfully helped sellers like you, and would be happy to speak with you further should you be considering the right agent for the job.
Oh I have stories first hand of Realtors taking sellers to the cleaners. Here's just 1. My mother in Law sold her home and the Realtor wanted to list it at 600K I told her no less than 800K (if it was mine I would have started at 900K and came down) the Realtor said he would do 700K and not a penny more. 3 days later there was a bidding war and the house sold for 725 K and it never hit the MLS, this was just between buyers in the Listing agents office. If it had hit the MLS it would have probably fetched the 800K I told her to list it for. Not all Realtors know what they are doing or are that honest.
Flag Tue May 27, 2014
Cory Fitzsim…, Agent, Golden, CO
Wed Feb 8, 2012
Here are some stats for you to consider: 55% of homeowners that used a Realtor to sell their home were successful vs. 39% of FSBO’s, reflecting a 50% higher closing rate for those that used a Realtor. 24% of those FSBO’s eventually enlisted a Realtor.

FSBO’s net 27% less than if they were to list with a Realtor. Of the 2% of people that sell their home themselves, 30% go through litigation.

The selling home price for those that use a Realtor is 16% higher than those who don’t.

Talk to a couple Realtors or consult a lawyer. Contracts are binding and you should have some representation. Good luck.
Web Reference:  http://www.housefitz.com
How can you prove a sold home would have sold for 27% more with a realtor. That's speculation. We sold by owner our home above what the realtor recommended we list it for with her. So, we sold for more than what we would have sold for with a realtor. Fact. Plus we paid no commissions. Bonus. And we listed in the winter when very few people sell their homes.
Flag Thu Apr 20, 2017
Not true. I am a lawyer and realtors are unethical. Out for the $$$$$$$$$
Flag Thu Mar 17, 2016
I sold my last house myself without a realtor. I used a real estate attorney to do all my paperwork, House was sold with no problems. I only paid $700 at the end for the attorney.
Flag Sun Aug 2, 2015
It's my belief that 87% of most statistic are not based on facts and without supporting documentation should not be belied. FYI I did take three levels of Stats back in the day.
Flag Wed May 21, 2014
My wife has sold two of our homes easily with no agent, no fee and NO PROBLEMS. I agree about getting a lawyer involved - they can do the closing for you and make sure all the legal paperwork is done correctly.
Flag Mon Jan 27, 2014
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Tue Feb 7, 2012
Hi Michigan

OK, first of all.....here is a correction from what was suggested below..........you can NOT post your home on Trulia as a for sale by owner.
Trulia only has listings posted via Brokers (and MLS feeds).

In order to be listed on Trulia, you'd have to list your home with a flat fee Broker, and offer a commission to a buyer's agent.

Or......you could write a blog about your home here, but that will soon be buried under new blogs that come along.

Zillow is different, however.......You can pay to list your home as a "for sale by owner" on Zillow . The information is on that site.

Otherwsie, as was already mentioned..................there is:

ForSaleByOwner.com
or........ Craigslist

Best wishes!
You do not have to pay to list a FSBO on Zillow. I have 1 on there now.
Here in Western Washington State they want 7% commission, they will list for 6% and say they are giving you a break. If you negotiate they will come down to 5% but you will not get many showings at 5% and if you want to list for less good luck finding a Realtor worth their salt. Most Realtors get a listing, post a few bad pics on MLS, and wait for someone else to sell the home. I post on every FREE venue I can and have successfully sold several homes over the years without a Realtor. When I use a Realtor it is only after having tried a FSBO first then I check out the Realtor and make sure "in writing" they will actually work for me starting with an online virtual tour and/or voice message info # on sign and a number of open houses over the term of the listing. If an Agent isn't willing to work for you why should you list with them? I have a house listed with a Realtor now but only cause it is hours drive away.
Flag Tue May 27, 2014
Forevabooks, Home Buyer, Denver, CO
Sat Sep 3, 2016
After interviewing several agents, I'm preparing to FSBO. Why? Even though the commission on my house would be about 21k, they all wanted $400+ up front for marketing. What exactly am I paying for then? I can hire a professional photographer for $125 and up and own the photos myself. I also can print my own flyers and list the home myself. Also, I work from home and will have to be here for most of the daytime showings. Agents don't like this. Why not show it myself?
One of the agents wanted to list my house for $50k less than current market value, within the same breath she said it would probably be negotiated down from there, and in the next breath said she already had several of her own clients in mind. Basically, if she got both the buyer and seller sides of the commission all she cared about was a fast sale. She said three weeks was too long to list a house. That's utter crap.
When I bought the house, it was the fifth house I'd had an offer on. In each of the previous cases, the buying/selling agents were crooked, crooked, crooked. One agent forged the homeowners signature on the offer acceptance letter. I discovered this when subsequent paperwork was not forthcoming. I actually went to the house and talked to the owner who had not wanted to sell at my offer price. He got a lawyer because his agent told him that he was under contract to sell.
Several times my buying agent who supposedly had my back, encouraged me to offer top dollar because of the "competitive market". Home inspections and neighborhood research interrupted these sales and the homes I'd bid so high on eventually sold for much, much less.
I've never met an agent who I felt really had my best interest at heart. I can interview lawyers, use flat-fee services, and sell myself.
I eventually bought my current home by offering $30k less than the listing price which was at least $25k than my agent wanted to offer, but she was eager to make a sale by that point. I got the house for $23k less than the list price and 2.5 years later I refinanced at a value of $70k more. If I'd bought at the list price and tried to sell it now, I would make almost no profit after selling commissions. Trust your gut, not some stranger whose main interest is to make money off of your HOME.
Mil Miller, Home Seller, New Orleans, LA
Fri Dec 25, 2015
Go to Zillow. Com, click house for sale by owner..that's the way I just listed my home for sale
john, Home Owner, Conifer, CO
Sat Jul 26, 2014
Maybe I wasn't specific.
I have tried for two hours to post my FSBO add.
I have been repeatedly sent error messages. I have gotten three new passwords.
I keep getting returned to the sign in page or create a new account page.
Even when I put in my city and state EXACTLY LIKE THEY HAVE IT IN THE DROP DOWN MENUE I am given an error message to "please enter a valid location.
I am simply looking for a link to post my copy and photograph and heading and contact information, but I keep going around and around in circles!
@Don Tepper (to the person who replied to this post since I cannot reply to you directly)

Unreal, did you actually just correct the spelling/grammar of a potential client?? And quite rudely I might add. That comment was entirely uncalled for, and although this post is a year old already, I'm in the process of finding information about realtors, FSBO and what works best.

I can guarantee you that this post here not only took me away from you as a realtor, but will give some serious thought to whether or not Trulia is worth bothering with once again. You should be fired for that comment alone.
Flag Fri Sep 11, 2015
You can't. Get all the new passwords you want. It's simply not allowed and impossible to do. There are many other sites out there where you can post FSBO ads. (By the way, the word is "ad"--short for "advertisement"--not "add.") The closest you can come is by using one of those services that'll post your listing on your local MLS. It should then get picked up by Trulia. The prices vary, but usually are around $200.

Flag Sat Jul 26, 2014
The Dixon Gr…, Agent, Denver, CO
Sat Jul 20, 2013
Thanks for your input Debbie. Glad you made that clear for us.
Suz A, Agent, Longmont, CO
Sat Apr 27, 2013
Homeowners may be tempted because a seller's market makes it appear "easier" to sell. In a good number of cases, sales move smoothly. I'm referring to all sales - not just FSBOs.

It's just filling out paperwork and sticking a sign in the yard?

No - not even close.

Even the owner of one of the larger web sites had to swallow his pride and hire a Realtor.

http://realtormag.realtor.org/daily-news/2011/08/09/forsaleb…

Trulia does not include FSBO.

Google the subject. And good luck.
Eblanch1946, Home Seller, Fort Myers, FL
Sat Aug 26, 2017
wanting to list my home for sale by owner
Karenrice56, Home Buyer, Denver, CO
Wed Mar 8, 2017
how do I list a house for sale by owner?
Catbarnes, Renter, Jefferson City, MO
Thu Mar 2, 2017
I have tried twice to post my "For Sale by Owner" listing. Once a week ago, and tried again two days ago. With the attempt last week, I received an email asking for my phone number (even though it was on the ad) so that someone could verify my information. No one did. No answer - no listing. When I tried to email a question, there was no way to identify myself as a seller.... the choices were, "consumer," "agent," etc. I'm at a loss as to what to do! If you don't want to post "For Sale by Owner" listings, then please remove that option as a choice. HELP!
Bill Gassett, Agent, Hopkinton, MA
Mon Dec 19, 2016
It is very difficult to list your home for sale by owner in the most important places which is the local MLS and sites like Realtor.com and Zillow. Unless you really need to sell as a FSBO you should give it a lot of thought. Study both the pros and cons and see if it is really right for you. Take a look at the comprehensive reference to see all the major pitfalls and how to avoid them.
Forevabooks, Home Buyer, Denver, CO
Sat Sep 3, 2016
Forevabooks, Home Buyer, Denver, CO
Sat Sep 3, 2016
Jgsuper69, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Sun Mar 27, 2016
For selling a house the related paperwork can be filled by a retarded high schooler. To price a house is sufficient to make a comparison among similar homes in one mile distance. Anyway a real estate lawyer can check it out accordingly with the by-law and be responsible for his work - while the realtor is not - for ca. $300. A realtor instead asks an average $16,000. Wake up, if you have some time you can save a lot of money.
Crystalppd, Both Buyer And Seller, Las Vegas, NV
Fri Nov 27, 2015
Hello!

I am a professional audio/video specialist networking to assist realtors and home owners promote their properties.

Please take a moment to visit my web-ste: http://crystalppd.wix.com/propertypromotions

I'm looking forward to the possible opportunity to help you with your promotional efforts!

Thanks for reading!

Crystal Erickson
702-626-9822
Owner of CJE Property Promotions & Design
Bill Gassett, Agent, Hopkinton, MA
Thu Nov 20, 2014
There are many ways to skin a cat. I assume the interest in selling for sale by owner is to save money? This is what motivates most people to sell by owner. The best advice would be to hire a company that will put your home in the multiple listing service for a fee and offer a buyers agent a commission to bring a buyer. While you will not be saving an entire commission you will be saving half and dramatically increase your chances of being successful. The success rate for a for sale by owner is very low otherwise. Over 80 percent of all FSBO's end up listing with a real estate agent. See the web reference below on how to sell a home on your own.
D3lliott1, Home Buyer, Detroit, MI
Sat Sep 27, 2014
There are quite a few websites which offer for sale by owner home listings. Usually, you can list a property through such websites, although many of them charge a listing fee, and a major factor to consider, is that many of these websites will not provide your property with the proper exposure that it needs, in order to attract interested buyers who ready and able to purchase your property immediately, for a good price, with cash. Sellers can take advantage of http://www.RealtyBargain.net, which offers for sale by owner home listings through auction, and unlike many other FSBO listing services, offers free listings, and most importantly, provides extensive marketing, to ensure that your property recieives maximum exposure to literally millions of interterested buyers worldwide.
Sean Dennehy, Agent, Denver, CO
Mon Sep 1, 2014
To list your own house for sale without a professional has many risks. I'm sure you already read all the posts about it. Don't risk it and list with a REALTOR­®. Chances are you will sell for more and are lowering the chances of a lawsuit against you. One wrong disclosure could be a disaster for you. Check out the stats at http://www.realtor.org/field-guides/field-guide-to-quick-rea…

If yous till decide to go at it alone. Buy a FSBO sign, put it in your yard and then advertise as much as possible. Expect to pay 2.8% of the sales price if you want agents to bring buyers. Refusing to do this eliminates about 95% of potential buyers. Expect many calls from agents trying to get your business. And most importantly expect to finally give up and list with agent anyway as most FSBO's end up doing.

I like to think of the math. How much is your mortgage payment? Is there and HOA? Start adding up everything it costs to own your home each month. When you have that number then think about the average home in the Denver Market that is listed by a professional is listed for only 30 days or less right now before going under contract. Every month you have your home listed as a FSBO is costing you money.

Best Wishes,

Sean Dennehy
Modern Real Estate
303-249-4616
Most buyers search on real estate websites themselves and they do NOT need a realtor, but since apparently the seller pays those fees they do to care very much. Question more is the key for both to save useless redundant services. A wake is necessary and real estate attorney cost a fraction to check the transaction out.
Flag Sun Mar 27, 2016
Tim Johnson, Home Buyer, Provo, UT
Fri Aug 22, 2014
There are really a lot of options for getting your house onto property listings. I think a great way is to find a good realtor around and work with them. They will be able to appraise your house and let you know how much you could get for the house. They will then work on showing their clients your house and hopefully find a good match soon. http://www.gilbertrealty.com
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Sat Jul 26, 2014
Good advice from Bob Gordon. There are also plenty of useful books on Amazon.

Unlike some of the other agents here, I'm not going to try to talk you out of trying to sell it yourself. It certainly can be done. Give it a try. If it works, great.

Arash Hajjam, Agent, Denver, CO
Thu May 22, 2014
I think enough detailed answers were given from this regard. The truth is that we as brokers are always going to advocate listing your houses through us and we believe we can get you the best deal.
Stats show that over the past years the percentage of FSBO sellers has dropped. National Association of relaters reported 11% of sale transactions to have been FSBO through the last set of data that they have collected.
Mary, Home Seller, Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
Fri Apr 11, 2014
Our home is For Sale by Owner and I stated with a Realtor at $298,000 and now am at $279,000 FSBO. Just starting the process so we will let you know how it goes with Owner.com my listing #ADD3145.
Sawgrass Players Club, Ponte Vedra Beach, FL (walk to the TPC At Sawgrass from our home).
I attempted to post with Owners.com. I paid them $375.00 for a MLS listing.
They had a broker send me a blank seven page "Exclusive Right to Sell Real Estate" BLANK contract that they wanted me to sign and return. OH, YEA. When I called them...they said..."Oh, don't worry, he doesn't want to sell your property...He lives 60 miles away. They never did post my home on the MLS
Flag Sat Jul 26, 2014
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Sat Jul 20, 2013
you're welcome!

actually, it really would be nice if posters stopped back and updated their situations - most don't....I am sure we'd all like to know if this person was successful or not!
Most of the time we offer advice, but never know what the final outcomes are!
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Sat Jul 20, 2013
since this question was asked almost 1.5 years ago - would hope the poster sold the house and moved on.
The Dixon Gr…, Agent, Denver, CO
Sat Jul 20, 2013
You put a sign in your front yard and let the buyers or buyers agents contact you directly to start negotiating. Keep in mind that this is very difficult to do yourself, which is why you should reach out to a professional.

Team PowerHouse Denver
Maggie Abdo-…, Agent, Lyndhurst, NJ
Sat Jun 8, 2013
You can list it in homes.com or foresalebyowner.com aftercreating an account.
Tracy Shaffer, Agent, Denver, CO
Wed Mar 7, 2012
Cory has some good info, Bob has a good list of things to do. Statistics say you'll make more money with a Realtor and that 80% of FSBO sellers sign with an agent after 30 days. Beyond the hassle of the sales and marketing process, your legal liability is high as you work through the transaction. Contracts change annually. Would you do your own surgery or represent yourself in court? You may have sold a home or two or ten over the years, where a good real estate agent sold 2-10 a month. The other thing, and I've seen this happen over and over again, is that agent-to-agent transactions close smoothly and without as many problems on the legal and emotional sides. My advise (and you're in MI so I've nothing to gain here), is not to sell FSBO. It's just not worth it.
Tracy Shaffer, Broker Associate
YOUR CASTLE REAL ESTATE
tracy@tracyshaffer.com
303-570-8674
Web Reference:  http://tracyshaffer.com
I keep reading post about litigation problems for FSBO but no specific's. I am going to try FSBO but will state "as is".
Flag Fri Jun 12, 2015
David & Maria…, Agent, Littleton, CO
Tue Feb 21, 2012
Craigslist is a tool to help for sale by owners. If there were issues with it, everything has its risks. The problem is that in Colorado there is no more imput only on the MLS so will be an issue to have it on the MLS without a realtor, but there are always other ways to do it. Our answer is not to sell our services but to help you achieve your goal. Good Luck!
Suz A, Agent, Longmont, CO
Mon Feb 20, 2012
You can list your FSBO with Zillow. See Debbie Rose's answer below.

Regarding Craigslist, there have been security issues and as a consequence, we're hearing complaints about false information being inserted in the classified ads there. You will want to monitor your information if you use Craigslist.

I'll back up the others on the claims of marketing strength. We build expansive networks over the years. Brooke Hengst's comment about inventory getting scarce is true.

I encourage you to call several agents to hear their take on market conditions and time on the market.

Best of luck.
David & Maria…, Agent, Littleton, CO
Thu Feb 16, 2012
You can use craigslist. Before was possible to pay a fixed amount to a MLS user Realtor and imput the listing so other agents can see it and show it. Now that is not possible. You can use a yard sign, news paper ads, web flyers and other marketing tools. You will need to have your phone number available for potential buyers to call you and schedule showings. Once you have a buyer you will need to hire an attorney to write and review a contract to buy and sell with your buyer. then you need to check dates see the escrow account and get it to close. this advice is just as a reference. Without a realtor the best thing to do is to seek legal advice.
Robert McGui…, Agent, Denver, CO
Sat Feb 11, 2012
Michigan,

I gave Cory a thumbs up below although I have seen figures not nearly so high. One thing I always remind potential FSBO's is that we Realtor's have million dollar Errors and Omissions insurance and ask how much they have. It is not nearly as easy as it looks to sell a home these days as it looks, even with the experience, expertise, and technology we as Realtors have in our arsenal. Stapleton is one of my areas of expertise and I live just five minutes away in Park Hill. Let me know if I can help.

Robert McGuire ASR
Realtor/Consultant
Your Castle Real Estate
1776 S. Jackson St. #412
Denver CO 80210
Direct – 303-669-1246
E and O that's why you hire an attorney to do any real estate transaction buying or selling. When you sign with a realtor they also want you to sign the binding arbitration agreement that makes lawsuits almost impossible and people just live with what ever wasn't right like an electrical issue or a fence removal. My 72 year old mother sold her house in 30 days by herself and the help of a lawyer. the buyers agent was such a scum bag he convinced them to pay him 6% because my mother refused since the buyers found her and then they called a realtor. I'm taking my chances FSBO my holding costs are $600 a month and the commission on a $160K property would be $9600. They are not going to get me $170K+ to make up for the commission. I have a business degree to do the marketing and an appraisal to support my price.
Flag Mon Feb 8, 2016
, ,
Wed Feb 8, 2012
Do you have errors and omission insurance? Who do you hold accountable if you mess something up?

Thousands of closed real estate deals over decades and I can count on one hand the number of purchases that did not have at least one Realtor involved. My closing attorney told me they account for about 1% of her volume, way more than my percentage. However, she also told me that out of that total number 98% of those were between relatives. I thought that was very interesting. I have never heard anyone before break down a profile on a FSBO.

Most of the Realtors I chat with on a deep level confide they are not aggressive about working with FSBOs because they end up doing all of the work for half the money. Not saying that is right or wrong, just passing on what I have been told.
Frank Dolski, Agent, Lahaska, PA
Wed Feb 8, 2012
You cannot list your home on MLS feeds such as Trulia. There is less than a 5% chance success rate for a for sale by owner. Just curious as to why you have chosen this route? Good luck!
Linda Coe, Agent, Beaufort, SC
Tue Feb 7, 2012
You may want to check our http://www.militarybyowner.com Try selling your property for a while but remember you will get a lot more exposure by going with an agent. Most people end up with a realtor after trying it on their own. It can be a daunting task without the tools we have access to. Good luck.
Shanna Rogers, Agent, Murrieta, CA
Tue Feb 7, 2012
Hi Michigan,

Trulia does not 'allow' For Sale By Owner. Trulia feeds from the MLS - which only Realtors can input to.

Shanna Rogers
SR Realty
http://www.RealtyBySR.com
Nina Kuhl, Agent, Greenwood Village, CO
Tue Feb 7, 2012
There are a number of sites that will help you do a FSBO for a fee depending on services (you can do a google search on FSBO). Things to think about:
1) How will you advertise your property? There are a number of sites that you can post it for free but generally the most exposure is having it posted to the MLS. Some of the FSBO sites will post on the MLS for a fee. You will also want a professional sign with flyer box and possibly a website that people can find out more information about your house.
2) How will you allow people interested in your home to view it? Do you have a flexible schedule that you can meet every showing and answer phone calls about your house? If you have kids, you will also want to think about having them go somewhere during a showing.
3) Do you know what price you will list your house? Unfortunately, sometimes buyers will lowball a FSBO because they think that there is not an agent involved so they can pay less for the house. Not always the case but just something to think about. You also will want to see how your house stacks up against existing homes in Stapleton and new builds. A real estate agent can provide you with a Comparable Market Analysis that will give you a range of what your home is worth.
4) Is your home ready to show? You will want to do a thorough walkthrough of your house (or even better yet have a friend do it) and declutter and do basic repairs.
5) Are you offering a coop (meaning will you pay the Buyer's agent a commission?). Not offering a commission to the amount of traffic you will get from qualified buyers using an agent.
6) Are you familiar with all the paperwork for selling a house in Colorado? Buyers will expect a Property Disclosure, Square Footage Disclosure, etc. You also will want to make sure you are familiar with a Colorado contract so you know what to look for in an offer. You will also want to become familiar with the deadlines once an offer has been submitted.
7) What title company are you using and do you know the HOA fees for transfering the property? Buyer's will expect title insurance and there are a few title companies that do specifically FSBO.

Good luck and feel free to contact me with any questions about the process or if you would like a free CMA.

Nina Kuhl
Cherry Creek Properties LLC
303-913-5858
Jaryd Takushi, Agent, Denver, CO
Tue Feb 7, 2012
Michigan,

I would create a profile in Trulia and click on My Listings. There should then be a submit listing tab that you can click. I would also suggest Zillow, make me move or Craigslist to sell your home.

What model are you selling, what builder? I am with NPRE and we have a lot of buyers in the Stapleton area.

Aloha,
Jaryd