Tds, Home Seller in Brooklyn, NY

How do I legally convert a 2 family home to a 1 family home in Brooklyn, NY? What factors should I consider? My goal is to renovate and sell.

Asked by Tds, Brooklyn, NY Wed Oct 13, 2010

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Mildred A Ca…, Home Seller, Bronx, NY
Sat Aug 30, 2014
I own a 2 family 3 story house in the Bronx, NY The information in the department of finance list my house as class1 building code A5 1 family attached/semi detach.

When I bought the house in 2004, it was sold to me as a 2 family with the certificate of occupancy indicating Letter of No Objection. The previous owner converted from 1 family to 2 in 2001.

My question is, would my property tax increase if i change from 1 to 2 family with the Department of Finance, and if so, would I have to Backpay any monies?
0 votes
dpcm3815, Home Seller, Brooklyn, NY
Tue Jul 2, 2013
I too have the same problem. I have a legal 2 family that I use as a one family and now I'm selling it. Of course, years ago I removed the kitchen on the 2nd floor as I use it as a bedroom and I removed the partion wall seperating the living room from the 2nd floor stairs. I hear all the Real Estate agents saying that 2 familiy homes fetch more money than one families but my question is, can I sell it as is or do I have to restore it back to a functioning 2 family ?
0 votes
Rhonda Holt, Agent, New York, NY
Wed Oct 20, 2010
Hello, to convert you should call and visit the Department of Buildings website at and type converting property into the search box.

I hope this has given you some guidance.
Web Reference:
0 votes
David Rogoff…, , Brooklyn, NY
Fri Oct 15, 2010
Dear Tds,

Our question is why do you want to convert from 2 to 1 family?

Usually demand and price increases from 1 to 2 family not the reverse, unless you have fewer bedrooms and baths than the other comparable homes in the neighborhood.

Before taking the plunge and expense for the conversion via a new C/O have you spoken to Realtors to determine the price differential (gain) to move forward?

If you were not selling and wanted to convert to a mother/daughter or hospitality suite for a relative, it is a good idea. However, you indicate you are selling. That's why it may make more sense to leave it a 2 family but move forward with the renovation. And when you renovate to sell, try to update simply and with features that appeal to most buyers. Re-doing kitchens and baths are always a good idea, and painting in light airy colors to open up rooms is excellent.

As full-time Brooklyn Realtors, we would be happy to assist you and include a free home evaluation. We hope this information is helpful to you, and please don't hesitate to call!

Best regards,

David Rogoff & Bonnie Chernin
Real Estate Sales Associates
Fillmore Real Estate - Branch 19
Brooklyn NY 11210
917-593-4068 - David mobile
646-318-5031 - Bonnie mobile
0 votes
Tatiana Cames, Agent, New York, NY
Thu Oct 14, 2010
In terms of renovating for resale, your architect and broker can assist in choosing a floorplans and finishes wich will be most marketable
0 votes
Tatiana Cames, Agent, New York, NY
Thu Oct 14, 2010
You will need an arcitect to submit your plans to convert the house to a single family DOB. Once they are approved and the work is done, There will be an inspection of the work by DOB and when all work is approved you'll be issued a new CO for a single family house.
0 votes
Ralph Windsc…, Agent, Hauppauge, NY
Thu Oct 14, 2010
I can't imagine how a one family home would have greater value than a two. Before spending a lot of your hard earned money on things that may not bring a return to you, consult a broker/agent about your plans to see if it's worth your time and expense. Today, a dollar in is almost never a dollar out. Feel free to contact me with any further questions. Good luck.

Ralph Windschuh
Associate Broker
Certified Buyer Representative (CBR)
Senior Real Estate Specialist (SRES)
Century 21 Princeton Properties
Top 2% of Century 21 Agents Nationwide
0 votes
Madeline Pad…, Agent, Brooklyn, NY
Wed Oct 13, 2010
You should really have one of us come over and look at your home as is and run some comps for you, because in today's market it may not pay to do anything to it.
Or you can start with the architect first and get an estimate
of the costs. Please feel free to contact me directly and set up a convenient appointment.
0 votes
Tds, Home Seller, Brooklyn, NY
Wed Oct 13, 2010
The home is now currently a 2 family. I want to make it into a 1 family. Does that change the answers below?
0 votes
charles mira…, Agent, Brooklyn, NY
Wed Oct 13, 2010
Yes you would need a new certificate of occupancy for the property. But before you get the permits, and necessary paperwork you need to determine the value before the renovation and after making it into a 2 family. I am a real estate agent but i am also a certified assitant appraiser and can work out the numbers to see if it would be beneficial financially.
Charles W. Mirailh
Superior Realty
Direct: 917-443-6295
0 votes
Sal Calabrese, Agent, New York, NY
Wed Oct 13, 2010
Everyone is correct, Architects, permits and new Certificate of Occupancy, but what i would do before spending a dime, would be calling a real estate broker that has experience not only on determining the value of the house in the present condition as a one family and as a renovated two family. Also do an analysis of construction cost and time invested in the project. Evaluate if the change in the C/O and the return on the investment warrants moving ahead with the project.
I'm a broker with 35 years experience, a Developer with 20 years of construction experience and an accountant.
If you need my assistance feel free to contact me. Good luck.
0 votes
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Wed Oct 13, 2010
You will need to acquire all the necessary permits and ultimately a c/o--therefore check with the local building's department beforehand--see link for additional information.
0 votes
Corey Wasser…, Agent, New York, NY
Wed Oct 13, 2010

You are going to need to obtain a new C of O. The best place to start is talk to an architect. They will need to file plans with the city and can better explain the process/expense. When you are ready to sell please don't hesitate getting in touch with me, I will go the extra mile for you!

Corey Wasserman, Associate Broker
Bergen Basin Realty
718-763-4110 (office)
917-560-2615 (cell)
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more