How do I identify a realtor with a successful track record to sell my home?

Asked by Dulaney, Paxton, MA Wed May 27, 2009

I would like to put my home up for sale and am looking for a realtor to handle it. How do I go about identifying a high-performing realtor? Are there public records that I can search easily?

Answers

5
Voices Member, , Benton County, OR
Wed May 27, 2009
My question would be...... I have seen some agents makes claims regarding how many sales they have made and then be challenged by other agents as to the accuracy of their claim in this forum. How does Dulaney verify an agents claim of how many sales they have made?

"You can look her up online." Not sure why the person with a good track record would be a " her "

Also not sure what "good marketing" has to do with honesty, professionalism, or expertise.

Every successful con has good marketing and who supplies the info for these public profiles /testimonials? Here's an honest profile .... http://www.trulia.com/voices/profile/Real_Estate_Pro-Monmout…
The answers/comments they give tell are a more accurate source of info about the agent IMHO.

I think reading these might offer some good input for your decision making... http://www.trulia.com/blog/rockinblu/2008/12/i_ve_got_my_fin…
http://www.trulia.com/blog/matt_stigliano/2009/04/how_to_cho…

Good luck, Dunes
Angela Dolber, Agent, Whitinsville, MA
Wed May 27, 2009
What I might also suggest is going to a website like Realtor.com and looking at homes being sold in Paxton and see whose name comes up a lot on the site. This may be a good starting point to contact a few of these agents and then interview them and ask them questions about their marketing styles and sales history. In today's market, you need to have a savvy realtor who can market your home well on the internet, using different websites to market your home, and doing a nice visual tour to represent your home in the best possible way visually online since many of the buyers today are looking at your home first online! But also keep in mind that just because someone has a lot of listings, doesn't mean that they are excellent agents. Having lots of inventory and nothing sold to show for it begs the question - what services are they providing for their sellers?? I wish you well on the sale of your home!
Web Reference:  http://www.thedolberteam.com
John Mansfie…, , Westborough, MA
Wed May 27, 2009
Dulaney,

As was mentioned in the previous entries, there are no public records you can check to see who has sold the most in Paxton. Paxton is serviced by several different agencies. It would be in your best interest to interview several agents and when doing so, ask them how many properties they have sold. You want an agent that is going to market your home to the best of their ability. In this current market, you need an agent that is going to go above and beyond. Paxton is a well liked area and is very attractive to buyers. I, myself, am working with buyers looking in Paxton at the present time. I hope this has helped and please feel free to let me know if you have any other questions.
Judy Boyle, Agent, Marlborough, MA
Wed May 27, 2009
Hi Dulaney,

There are no "public" records that will give you the information you are requesting. Short of calling up every agent who has listed and sold homes in Paxton, you could start by visiting public profiles of agents who service Paxton. A good "marketer" will have an enticing profile. From there, pick a couple and call them up. Then ask them what they do...or have done...to sell homes recently (in this VERY challenging market!) If that agent has nothing to hide, he or she may actually share statistics that are otherwise only obtainable by subscribers of the Multiple Listing Service.

Connie Salta…, Agent, Frederick, MD
Wed May 27, 2009
You can look her up online. If she has an active website, listing houses that are similar to yours. (You don't want someone who lists waterfront exclusively to list your townhouse, and vise versa) Are the realtors you're choosing with a reputable brokerage? Like Coldwell Banker, Long & Foster. Pick a brokerage that has a track record. If you like their company, their website, interview a couple that appeals to you and ask them about their track record, marketing plan, and references. Get her to give you a Comparative Market Anyalsis. It should look professional, contain comps similar to your house in your neighbor and sold houses within the last 6 months. Keep in mind no amount of marketing can sell an overpriced house. So be brutal in your pricing so that you can compete with others out there. Good Luck!