How do I find comps for the area around me? I look in the local area and nothing comes up that's even close to what my house is like.

Asked by Teshua2, Dickinson, TX Thu Apr 14, 2011

Trulia's advanced search engine turns up nothing in my area. Is there another place (besides contacting a realtor) that I can get this info from?

Answers

10
Jim Atkinson…, Agent, Houston, TX
Wed Jul 8, 2015
Your best source is using a local Realtor. Realtors pay to gain access to records not always available or easily available to the general public. Plus, they are most likely familiar with the homes already listed or recently sold in your area.
irisphx, Both Buyer And Seller, Austin, TX
Sun Jan 12, 2014
I use REI Autocomp.

http://www.reiautocomp.weebly.com

It brings all the comparable sales into one place and even chooses the home(s) that are just like mine in a few seconds.

Paul - Austin, TX
John Willis, Agent, Bayou Vista, TX
Sun Dec 29, 2013
Talk to one of the many Real Estate agents on here. If you are not working with an agent yet, we are all ready to help. Call me or any of the others here to give you a hand in the comps.
Typical agent who doesn't listen/read. The asker specifically says WITHOUT contacting a realtor, and your response is to contact a realtor. Worse than the stereotypical used car salesman.
Flag Tue Apr 29, 2014
Julie Treadw…, Agent, Dickinson, TX
Sat Sep 21, 2013
Ask a local realtor to run the comps for you.
Cyndi Depale…, , League City, TX
Tue Oct 2, 2012
EMAIL ME AND i WILL BE GLAD TO DO THEM FOR YOU!
Cyndi, I am seeking comparables to see if I should appeal my property tax value. I just received my appraisal and the stated value rose $36,770 from last year! My address is 401 Livingstone Lane, League City, TX 77573. My email is stevestockwill@theviagroup.com. Please let me know if you can assist me or if you need any additional information. In any event, thank you for your time.
Flag Wed Apr 22, 2015
Don Groff, Agent, Austin, TX
Thu Apr 14, 2011
Your best bet is to use a Realtor. Sites like Trulia, Zillow and Yahoo Real Estate are good for information but they lag behind the MLS by anywhere from 2-5 days in most cases. Also, to get sold comparable homes you need access to the MLS. When a home sells we are required to go in and input the purchase price, seller concessions etc. Because Texas is a non-disclosure state you cannot get that information anywhere else.

This is just one of the countless things that a good Realtor does for their clients. Also taking the time to explain and educate them about the market is essential. My job is to educate my clients so they have the information they need to make informed decision. It's your money whether you are buying a house or selling a house. It's my job to ensure that you are making decisions to keep or make as much equity as possible.

Good luck with your search.

Don Groff
REALTOR | Mortgage Broker | Consultant
Buy - Sell - Lease - Invest
Keller Williams Realty | 360 Lending Group
o.512.669.5599 m.512.633.4157
listings@dongroff.com
Lisa Boland, Agent, League City, TX
Thu Apr 14, 2011
Your best source for comps is a Realtor. We have the ability to see what the home sold for, how long it was on the market, and how many contributions were made to the buyers closing costs. Feel free to e-mail me your neighborhood and I'll send you the comps in your area. No obligation. I also have a form on our website http://www.NickandLisaB.com for a free home evaluation. The more info you provide me with the more accurate our evaluation is. You will also only want to use homes +- 200 sq feet of yours and built during the same period of time.

Websites that pull info off of the MLS are usually outdated and can not be considered accurate.
Web Reference:  http://www.NickandLisab.com
Bruce Lynn, Agent, Coppell, TX
Thu Apr 14, 2011
Yes this is tough. You might ask any neighbors what they bought or sold their house for, but they don't always give you the exact numbers.
You can look at the tax appraisal roles, but those are also often as far up or as far down as any other online method.
You might also look at Zillow....but their margin of error in Texas is also pretty far off.
Those are the free sources and you get what you pay for on free....it should give you a ballpark.

Another source is an appraisal. You might also ask your lender if they have any sort of online system to judge value.
Marie Souza…, Agent, Centerville, MA
Thu Apr 14, 2011
Get an independent appraisal. They will provide you with the current value of your property by using comparable sales. A real estate agent will also do the same for a minimal charge or sometimes free of charge (but you stated you did not want to go this route). In our area the public does not have access to all the Active, Pending & Solds comparables.
The Marie Souza Team - Top Selling Team on Cape Cod
Phone: 508-790-2000 Fax: 508-790-4005
info@mariesouzateam.com
scott farmer, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Thu Apr 14, 2011
You could hire an appraiser to get a professional opinion since your home is unique and you are unable to find similar properties to compare it to.