How do I find a "seasoned" real estate agent?

Asked by Savdavid, Savannah, GA Fri May 28, 2010

Answers

18
Voices Member, , Benton County, OR
Fri May 28, 2010
You pepper them with questions and determine from their Responses if they are worth their salt.
Alan May, Agent, Evanston, IL
Fri May 28, 2010
look for the one with salt-and-pepper hair.

(sorry, I just couldn't help myself)
oh ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
ahem
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Flag Sun Nov 22, 2015
The Stephen…, Agent, Portland, OR
Sat May 29, 2010
Ask how long they have been licensed. Ask how many transactions they do a year. Quality comes through experience. A younger agent, like myself, that does a lot of transactions a year - gets seasoned pretty quickly.
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Sat May 29, 2010
Ahhh - all the usual suspects are here now (Hi Rock - you sure can find those utube videos!)

Get ready to groan:

I enjoy our CAPERS here on trulia - it's all so SAVORY - however..... (this part is a real stretch) ........I am a bit CHILI, so I will take a POWDER... and be back later.
Cue-me-in (cumin) on what I miss.

(I warned you, you'd groan)

Have a happy holiday weekend, all!
Voices Member, , Benton County, OR
Sat May 29, 2010
I think maybe Rockinblu nailed the answer to this question..

and I really mint that!

Dunes
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Sat May 29, 2010
Consider adding pepper if you are looking for a "hot" one!
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Fri May 28, 2010
Cute Alan - I'll be right back after I go through my spice cabinet for additional names to play with!

Oh, did I mention I will go through the cabinet gingerly? :)
Alan May, Agent, Evanston, IL
Fri May 28, 2010
that is some "sage" advice.

I hope you're not trying to "curry" favour with SavDavid,
Pat & Steve…, Agent, Westlake, OH
Fri May 28, 2010
You need an educated agent who is currently working in your market, not necessarily a seasoned agent. Ask friends, relatives,co-workers, neighbors, etc. Then interview several agents ( I suggest at least 3), to determine their current knowledge of your market AND to find someone you want to work with. Make sure that all the people you interview are going to provide the services you need and want and that they have the applicable experience. As an example, I am a Realtor and an Attorney (for 30 yrs), licensed for both only in OH. Am I seasoned? It depends on my current experience and knowledge of my market, plus the applicable experience I have had.
Alan May, Agent, Evanston, IL
Fri May 28, 2010
hair colouring.... why haven't I ever thought of that?
Dan Chase, Home Buyer, Texas City, TX
Fri May 28, 2010
Alan, That would not work. To many people dye their hair. You have to look for wrinkles. Those are almost impossible to get rid of.

Below is a blog giving some suggestions about finding a realtor for selling your house. It should be helpful
http://www.trulia.com/blog/rockinblu/2008/12/i_ve_got_my_fin…

If instead you would consider selling it yourself the blog below will give you a good idea of what is involved and the things to do.
http://www.trulia.com/blog/rockinblu/2008/08/thinking_about_…
Thomas Tolbe…, Agent, Savannah, GA
Sun Jul 18, 2010
Hi David, From all the responses I've read below at least you can see that Realtors have a sense of humor. :)
If you haven't found the right "seasoned" Realtor in Savannah give me a call. I would be happy to tell answer any questions you may have!
The Medford…, Agent, Fremont, CA
Fri Jun 4, 2010
@Dunes

"You pepper them with questions and determine from their Responses if they are worth their salt."

Dang - we finally agree on something!!!!! Who knew ... That's actually the best answer here! :) Seriously. Even though I DO like rockinblu’s spice …
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Sat May 29, 2010
Best interview the agents hear what the agents have to state. Also read their website determine if there is "brag page" of who they are , and etc.

Great question

Lynn911.com
Web Reference:  http://www.lynn911.com
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Fri May 28, 2010
What do you mean by, "seasoned?"
Dan Chase, Home Buyer, Texas City, TX
Fri May 28, 2010
I noticed that so far no one has said to use the sniff test. Usually a seasoned realtor has a certain smell that has marinated into them over the years.

In all seriousness, look at the blogs I referenced below. They should be of help in finding a decent agent. It really is a tough thing to figure out. Sometimes an agent has 30 years of experience and is incompetent. Sometimes a new agent has learned a lot and has the help they need at their office from all of the other agents. I know it is tough.

Make sure you ask for both references AND to see how many houses they have sold over the past year and during their career. It is at least a start.
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Fri May 28, 2010
PS . Dan - in my area, one is just a doctor's appointment away from wrinkle removal, too! NO gray hairs or wrinkles here!!!
............................

Sardavid - we are having some fun with your question....you really want a seasoned agent? Look for one like me with aching knees and a perpetual smile.........or is that a wince? You might also visit some websites and see who has a solid track record.

Ask around - call and speak to the managers of local offices, and ask for an experienced......... seasoned ........ or just plain old agent! :)

Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Fri May 28, 2010
Good one Dunes!
I liked it!

Glad you had the thyme to respond!
:)

(I couldn't resist) !