How do I determine if my house is a joint tenancy or tenants in common?

Asked by Alex, West Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA Tue Aug 19, 2008

My parents have a house in Arcadia. They're looking into estate planning, so one of the questions was how the house was titled. What's the best way to determine this?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Diane Wheatl…, Agent, Upland, CA
Tue Aug 19, 2008
They (your parents) should have a copy of their Grant Deed that was recorded with the county. It will state on the Grant Deed how title is held. Recorded documents are public record therefore can easily be provided through the use of a Realtor, escrow office, title company or of course visiting the hall of records in downtown Los Angeles to ask for a copy yourself.

If you'd like I can pull that for you in the morning and let you know first thing. No obigation. Easy for me and I do it all the time. I'm here to help!

Diane Wheatley, Broker
(909) 981-5589
2 votes
Bob McClure, Other Pro, Walled Lake, MI
Tue Aug 19, 2008
easy question....go to the register of deeds at the county where the home is located....pull a copy of the last deed recorded....however it is can quit claim deed from whoever and how ever the title is vested, into the entities(s) you choose.i suggest using an escrow co. so it is done in a recordable form, and done according to state is a great way to keep the sole survivors out of probate court....hope that helps...bob mcclure- mortgage now- farmington, michigan. (248) cell.....
1 vote
Judi Monday,…, Agent, Green Valley, AZ
Mon Dec 22, 2014
You can check your county records to see how it was recorded. Many will allow you to do this online, otherwise you'll have to make a trip to the recorders office.
0 votes
Janet E. To…, Home Buyer, Richmond, CA
Mon Dec 22, 2014
Can joint tenancy be used in cases of fraud, and/or identity theft to hide other "property" by avoiding probate court from a beneficiary?
0 votes
Caroline Kha…, Agent, Arcadia, CA
Tue Jun 30, 2009
You can call me and I will pull the title report and see the vesting...I am local and handle alot of Arcadia business.
Caroline 626-705-7705
0 votes
., , Los Angeles, CA
Mon Dec 29, 2008
COMMUNITY PROPERTY Hmmmm! Can someone help me here?

Is a husband and wife not community. If they were married at the time of aquistion than, hmmmm! Tennants in common? As a lender I would make one quit off title but never the other.

If this is a rhetorical question (which is a damn good one) then most (very very) likley community. Otherwise why would someone bring an asset into a marriage and convey interst in title as a tennant in common (its impossible actually). If a divorce were to occour one spoyse will have a 50% interest in the others interest as a commnity (Divorce court regardless of prior contractual (non binding) agreements). Let me know (Alex) what you find out. And yes, get a copy of a premlim or search a RE web info site the offers a chain of title.
0 votes
Baker & Snid…, Agent, Arcadia, CA
Sat Nov 15, 2008
The best way to find out is to look at a copy of the deed. This will show the way title was taken. If this is not available to you contact a REALTOR and they should be happy to help. If you do not know which REALTOR to call my partner, Jerry Baker or I would be happy to help. We are located in Monrovia, right by the Arcadia City border.

Connie Snider (626) 253-6392 or Jerry Baker (626) 233-0620
0 votes
Alex, Home Buyer, West Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA
Tue Aug 19, 2008
Is there an online source for this information?
0 votes
Jonathan Jam…, , New York, NY
Tue Aug 19, 2008
Look at the deed is the first place to start, then tax records....
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more