How can you tell if you are making a wise choice in hiring a real estate agent?

Asked by Cheron Dinkins, East Setauket, NY Fri Aug 26, 2011

Is he/she going to show up after listing my home? Is he/she just going to hope the MLS is going to sell it, without actively marketing it? How often will they be in contact with me?

Answers

6
Phil Rotondo, Agent, Melbourne, FL
Sat Aug 27, 2011
As with mostly everything else, time will tell.
Web Reference:  http://www.321property.com
Allan Erps, Agent, Pearl River, NY
Fri Aug 26, 2011
Think there has to be some type of trust and chemistry(comfort level) involved for the Seller to make that decision. We do not ususally need to babysit the Seller, but to let them know and understand that your job is to sell their home and facilitate the transaction. Set aside one day per week, if you will to update the Seller and to discuss how to move forward, not look back!
Gail Gladsto…, Agent, 11743, NY
Sat Aug 27, 2011
First of all, seller should be interviewing several people to compare.

Secondly, I always come prepared with a written Marketing Plan that outlines ALL of the marketing that will be done.

I use Showings.com for appointment making and every appointment and agent feedback from showings is automatically emailed to the Seller....constant contact.

I am personally a Marketing Agent and happily co-broke with other agents. I may never personally be showing the house; it is my job to get many Realtors in to show the house.

Feel free to call with other questions...happy to discuss with you.

631-425-6150
Gail@GailGladstone.com
Web Reference:  http://GailGladstone.com
Christopher…, Agent, Tarrytown, NY
Sat Aug 27, 2011
Hi, If they agent does everything they say they are going to do while sitting at the listing tabel. I think some agents are afraid to contact the seller if activity is slow in fear of them thinking the agent isn't doing their job. I think constant communication is key, then if activity is slow at least you are showing the seller you are marketing the property properly.

Chris
Web Reference:  http://raveis.com/chrispagli
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Sat Aug 27, 2011
What do you tell them, Cheron?
Suzanne MacD…, Agent, Succasunna, NJ
Sat Aug 27, 2011
You can ask for references, past clients who were happy with their level of service. You may also want to get something in writing that says if they don't provided a certain minimum service they will allow you to cancel your contrat. But expect to be asked to live up to your end of the bargain as well. Today's market can be a challenge to both buyers, sellers and real estate professionals! No amount of marketing will sell a home that is over priced. And today's buyers expect a home to either be in move-in condition, and I mean complete with updated kitchems, baths,etc, or to purchase the home at a discount. I think it is absolutely fair to ask your realtor to provide some kind of assurance they will do what they say they will do, but it works both ways, sellers need to heed their agents' advice as well, especially when it comes to price and preparing the home to look its absolute best while it is being marketed.

If you will work with your agent as a team, I think you will be fine.