How can you correct errors found on the settlement statment after closing?

Asked by Linda, Mason, OH Sun Aug 24, 2008

I recently sold my home and at closing noticed several errors on the settlment statment. I was charged for a hms that was already paid for, i was charged a rush fee for my condo hoa papers though i had the info sent in a month prior to closing and most importantly, the semi anual hoa fees that i had just paid, were not credited back to me in the prorated amounts for the days i paid but not in the property.. How do i get my money back?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Jeff Konstant’s answer
Jeff Konstant, Agent, Elkton, VA
Mon Aug 25, 2008
Realtynovice is correct that this should have been discovered earlier. You should be able to recoup the HOA fees directly from the HOA. Don't count on the rush fee though. As for the HMS, contact them as well and explain the double charge.
1 vote
Tina Turner, Agent, Cincinnati, OH
Wed Sep 24, 2008
It sounds like a few phone calls need to be made.
1) Title company - tell them of their mistakes and ask for their help
2) Your agent - ask him/her to track some of the info down. Have them call the HMS rep for the area and explain the double payment, etc.
3) Start dailing the phone and call the places where you made the double payments. You should have examined the HUD statement a little closer before signing it (however, in your defense, often the title company throws it at you the day of closing and you don't have time to cross examine the nickel and dime items).

Remember, you'll catch more bees with honey and try to catch these people at the first to mid month (the end of the month is most hectic to ask for corrections to be made)
0 votes
Realtynovice, Both Buyer And Seller, Akron, OH
Mon Aug 25, 2008
Now that appears to be a horse of a different color. Title companies are licensed by the state. Give the title company a curtesy call (talk to the owner)and explain that you want to give them a chance to follow though on making it right before you lodge a complaint.
0 votes
Linda, Home Seller, Mason, OH
Mon Aug 25, 2008
the hud was not presented to me or my agent prior to closing. we had problems with them from the start. by the time i made it to the closing table and was then handed the hud, the buyer had already signed her papers. the choices were either to not close or to let the title company fix the errors after closing like they said they would. However, it doesnt seem they are taking care of the mater which is why im trying to figure out how to proceed with the mater.
0 votes
Phil Morrical…, Agent, Hamilton, OH
Mon Aug 25, 2008
You did not say your Realtor reviewed the HUD or not. You and your Realtor should have reviewed the HUD througly before the closing to catch any issues.
0 votes
Cathy Sloan, Agent, Jacksonville, FL
Mon Aug 25, 2008

I would first contact the closing agent or closing title company and discuss the remedy to your oversite with them. They may correct the error for you or refer you directly to the HOA.

You can provide your HOA with a copy of your HUD1 and copies of your cancelled checks with a letter requesting a refund of the overpayment. I would think you can recoup all or some of the HOA expenses.
Web Reference:
0 votes
Realtynovice, Both Buyer And Seller, Akron, OH
Sun Aug 24, 2008
As you state that it is after closing, apparently you signed the settlement statement. That means you reviewed it and accepted it as accurate and aggreed to it. Although extremely unlikely, you could consult a lawyer to see if there is a remedy available, but most likely what is done is done as it was unfortunately your negligence in not thorooughly reading what you signed.

0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Home Selling in Mason Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more