How can we increase showings?

Asked by Meredith Kim, Murphy, TX Tue Jul 5, 2011

I have had my home on the market for 113 days and had only three showings. We are listed $40K below comps--hoping for quick sale as need to relocate for a job. Nicely landscaped, neutral design. Had numerous open houses to no avail. How can we get some traffic? I know we'll never sell if no-one sees it.

Answers

17
Amy Arey, Agent, Allen, TX
Tue Sep 23, 2014
WOW--that's a long time to be on the market with only three showings. Take a peek at this blog-entry I wrote and see if any of these things perhaps could help with the sale of your home:

http://amyareyrealtor.wordpress.com/2014/05/05/12-inexpensiv…

What is the online-activity? Is your agent sending you weekly reports to show where the shows and "online lookers" are coming from (so that he / she knows where to focus advertising)? What has been the feedback from those who "have" seen it? Where / How is the open house being advertised? I have a few tricks I have picked up over the years that really help boost traffic at open houses. Contact me if I can be of any assistance.

-Amy S. Arey, Realtor
Halo Group Realty, LLC
214.901.1341-Cell
AmyAreyRealtor@Gmail.com
http://www.Aarey.HaloAgent.com
Gerard Carney, Agent, Spring Hill, FL
Sun Jul 31, 2011
Tell your agent to throw a few open houses
Margaret Has…, Agent, Tampa, FL
Fri Jul 22, 2011
Increasing showings has been the topic of my blog for the last several days. The last entry was:

Help! You say your house isn’t selling? Your house has been on the market for months and months and still no bites?

If your home selling price is right and you’re doing a good job of promoting your property far and wide, then maybe your home needs a little sprucing up.

So here's a home selling tip you can do in a single weekend to give your home a boost. (read more at http://www.trulia.com/blog/margarethassani/)
Meredith Kim, Home Seller, Murphy, TX
Fri Jul 22, 2011
Thanks for the feedback. To answer questions and give an update, yes, I have a fantastic realtor who is working hard at getting the word out, doing open houses, re-took pictures, etc. I think maybe just no one is really buying in our area. We've had a few more showings but still no offers. According to Realtor.com there are 72 houses for sale in a 1 mile radius...we will just have to wait it out I guess.
Robert Quinn, , Scottsdale, AZ
Thu Jul 21, 2011
You seem to have a tough one here Meredith. It depends on a couple of things. Firstly, what is the price range we are working in. 40k might not be that much if we are in the 600K+ price range. I was originally going to suggest a price drop, but it seems you might have pursued that avenue. Price, as we all know, is the #1 factor in moving homes. Furthermore, having had a property on the market for over 113 days is hurting your reputation. I would possibly take the home off of the market, and then re-list with a killer marketing campaign. This will allow you to have a fresh start and renewed interest. Have a professional online presentation complete with photos, and make sure the place looks nice. New paint and rearranged furniture always makes a huge difference. Your agent could also go door to door (although few would) and ask about family/friends interested in the area. I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, visit my website. There is bunch of content on there you would be interested in. Have a great day!
Damon Willia…, Agent, Dallas, TX
Thu Jul 21, 2011
Hi Meridith,

How about an update on this situation? Are you working with an agent that is giving you the comparables? Is it a limited listing service? If its a limited listing service that could be the problem.
Web Reference:  http://www.realtordamon.com
Pamela Edwar…, Agent, Dallas, TX
Wed Jul 20, 2011
Try new photos - done by a photographer. Great photos can make all the difference in the world.
Kevin Olson,…, Agent, Colorado Springs, CO
Thu Jul 7, 2011
Are the comps regular/fair market homes? Sometimes Realtors will use comps of similar homes that are regular sales when the market is really driven by foreclosures and short sales.

While there is nothing wrong with this, you as the seller should be aware of what's going on and why. One idea would be to have an open house for other Realtors, and offer a prize of some sort. Pick the winner by having Realtors leave feedback with their name on it. Just a regular drawing for a gas card or something.

The reason I say this is that most realtors will leave honest and sincere feedback when they have to put their name on it. You might get some good insight as to what could be wrong.
Don Groff, Agent, Austin, TX
Thu Jul 7, 2011
Hello Meredith,

All I can say is you are not really priced that much below TRUE comparable homes or nothing is selling in your market. You should be listing with a Realtor who can give you true and up to date market activity. Look at what has sold in the past 30 days near you and see how it compares.

Ask your agent to take you for a drive to see comparable homes so you can get a first hand idea of how you truly compare in price, condition and amenities. Something tells me you are not priced very well or for some reason your home is not showing well to people looking online. If you were truly priced for a quick sale and the home was in the best possible show condition you would be getting traffic that would result in offers in most cases.

Also, if you are working with an agent in the MLS they can pull data showing how many times your home has come up in searches and been looked at. Talk to your agent and go look at some of your competition.

Best of luck to you.

Don Groff
REALTOR® | Mortgage Broker
Keller Williams Realty | 360 Lending Group
o.512.669.5599 m.512.633.4157
listings@dongroff.com
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Tue Jul 5, 2011
If you are not using a Realtor you would have limited traffic majority of all home buyers turn to Realtors represent them agents only use MLS send search results to buyers

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
Teral McDowe…, Agent, Plano, TX
Tue Jul 5, 2011
Hello Meredith, I am familiar with the 75094 area and it is my observation that homes under $300K seem to sell within a reasonable time frame. Homes valued over $300K do have a longer time on the market but even they seem to be moving well this summer. I would agree with others that you need to address these concerns with your present agent. Today's buyers are looking for a home that is well-maintained, updated and move-in ready. All the best to you in selling your house.
Bruce Lynn, Agent, Coppell, TX
Tue Jul 5, 2011
Something is wrong.
If you are $40K below listed and SOLD comps....there is something wrong.

Might be your marketing.

We need to look at your pictures and information.

If you are listed with a Realtor have them sit down with you and review.
Brenda Feria, Agent, Richmond, VA
Tue Jul 5, 2011
Meredith, One thing that I do when there are a lot of homes within close proximity to my listing, I offer the selling agent a bonus for an acceptable offer within a specific time period. This does 2 things: First, all agents showing property in your area will be motivated to show your property. Second, of all, the agent will be less likely to down play your house. (Realtors often will inject their own opinions of homes, rather than let the client make up their minds - This happens more frequently when there are several similar homes to choose from.) Another suggestion I have is to hire a professional stager to come in and stage your home for the best showing conditions. Make sure that your agent is also placing your listing on mulitple websites. Buyers typically find their homes online these days. The visit the to home is secondary.

Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Tue Jul 5, 2011
Shanna asks about your Realtor: valid question, because a Realtor will do more than a FSBO can.

What's the "curb appeal"; how many people have driven by and just kept on driving?

When you do an Open House; how many signs do you use to direct the people?

When you do an Open House; how does the house look; too much furniture? too much clutter? Lived in?

Does the house smell?

Is it shown on MLS? Doe you have a lot of pictures? do you have good flyers?

Have you had a Broker's Open House?

What else can you do to Market your house? You know it better than anyone.

Good luck and may God bless
Linda Lorenzo, Agent, McKinney, TX
Tue Jul 5, 2011
Meredith,
I see that your home is listed with an agent so you really need to be discussing this with them. It appears
there are many homes for sale in your neighborhood and so you have a lot of competition. Have you
viewed them with your agent? Have you had your home staged? What kind of advertising is being done?
Again you need to check in with your agent. Good luck to you.
Sergio Herna…, , Naples, FL
Tue Jul 5, 2011
Intensify and improve your marketing at all levels, as well as get very creative. If that doesn't bring the desired results, you'll need to adjust your asking price.
Web Reference:  http://www.golftobeach.com
Shanna Rogers, Agent, Murrieta, CA
Tue Jul 5, 2011
Hi Meredith,

Are you working with a Realtor? If not, then you should hire one. If you are working with a Realtor, have them do a current Comparative Market Analysis (CMA) using Sold comps within a 1 mile radius of your property (the closer, the better) that have Sold within the last 3 months. This will give you current market value - make sure to use Sold comps, not Pending or Active.

Shanna Rogers
SR Realty
http://www.RealtyBySR.com