How can my realtor target the market of families with small children?

Asked by Freddie, 19311 Fri Feb 12, 2010

My home sits on an interior lot which backs up to the backyards of neighbors with small children. There are 3 wooden play sets visable from my back deck offering a park-like atmosphere, very safe and comes with palymates. There isn't any privacy so I can't imagine singles, families with teens or empty nesters seeing this as a plus. There are also restrictions for building fences and plantings that would create privacy.

Answers

6
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Fri Feb 12, 2010
So, there is such a thing as the Fair Housing Act, and I'm thinking it's a fine fine line between targeting families with kids and cherry-picking them on a mailing list. Posting flyers at schools, places where parents & kids congregate, probably not a problem. But skipping neighboring households because of familial status . . . you couldn't get me to do it, that's for sure.
D. Derderian, Agent, West Chester, PA
Thu Mar 25, 2010
Freddie,

Based on the description seems that a realtor can just highlight some of your points right on the MLS. If you would like to take advantage of my Spring Special I am offering please call within the next 24 hours and I may be able to save you thousands.
Tameka Golds…, Agent, West Chester, PA
Fri Feb 12, 2010
Hi Freddie,

Another suggestion would be, if your agent is willing, is to buy a mailing list from a list broker of families with children that live within the surrounding zip code/town and generate a "Just Listed" mailing (i.e., postcard) highlighting the features of your property. I do this all the time as a means to target specific audiences for each of my listings (and I can segment the list by: income, # of people in household, age, zip code, years at current residence, etc.). If you wish to pass on the info, have your agent email/call me, I'm happy to share the info on the list brokers. Wishing you a speedy sale!

-Tameka
Tameka@theSOLDshoppe.com
Web Reference:  http://www.theSOLDshoppe.com
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Fri Feb 12, 2010
Freddie you need to tell your listing agent your feelings and thoughts. By all means they can write the ads in a way that attract famkilies as well as place flyers in local spots where families congregate. Mailers to neighbors announcing your house is for sale is always a plus as they may know someone who wants to be their neighbor. goo dluck with your sale.
Web Reference:  http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
Don Jacks, Agent, La Mirada, CA
Fri Feb 12, 2010
Freddie,
Two thoughts. First, have your realtor speak with all of the neighbors in the area in person. There are probably many famlies in the area that have friends/family with kids that would love to know about your home.
Second, have your agents take flyers to the local schools. Last I checked, it's where the kids are and there are always parents coming in and out of the office, and there are a ton of personal conversations about life including who's moving going on in the office.
Best of luck to you.
Web Reference:  http://www.donjacks.com
, ,
Fri Feb 12, 2010
Ask some of those neighbors if there are any local newspapers or magazines that are left near pre-schools, gymboree locations, or at pediatricians offices, places like that. If there is a children's clothing store near you, they may have them as well. Advertising the house in that as well could be the avenue you are looking for.