How can I make my realtor to include sq ft of my house in websites. In searching by sq ft house never appears in Trulia and shows 0 in other sites.

Asked by Peachtreefan, 30269 Wed Dec 22, 2010

Answers

10
Kristina Ste…, Agent, Newnan, GA
Wed Dec 22, 2010
Hello Peachtree fan,
Until recently there wasn't even an input area in the Georgia MLS system where square footage could be entered. It may be that your agent isn't aware that field has been added to the Georgia MLS system or he/she may be hesitant to include it because for so long we could not enter it nor quote it. The system does have an input place for it now and also a place to enter where the information came from (floor plans, tax records, etc.)

One of the responses below mentions the FMLS system; however the FMLS system is not used that much in Fayette County and Fayette is not one of their (FMLS) required areas. Having the listing in both MLS systems would give you the most exposure.

Hope this helps!
Kristina Stephens
Keller Williams Realty Atlanta Partners
770-252-2266
Tom Sommers, Agent, Lakeville, MN
Tue Jan 4, 2011
It is simple, ask your agent to do that for you. Most sites you search when loking at homes take the information from your local MLS. There are many your agent can add additional information to but square footage is a must.

Tom
Hank Miller, Agent, Alpharetta, GA
Tue Jan 4, 2011
Last I checked, the agent works for you. If you want the living area posted then instruct the agent to do that.

The square footage debate continues to rage. Even though agents now have the SF option for listings, most just defer to tax records which are notoriously inaccurate. Issues with square footage are not unique to GA and variations in measuring will lead to differences.

You might find this link useful – it’s a NC guideline for measuring a home – http://www.hrmiller.com/find-square-footage.asp

Note as well that even appraisers have differences of opinion on things. In short, everything should be taken with a grain of salt.
Jen and Mark…, Agent, Holmes Beach, FL
Wed Dec 29, 2010
In Georgia, square footage is a mess. Only some sites allow us to include square footage in the listings. If we include square footage on the sidebar of a virtual tour in FMLS, FMLS removes the tour for "non compliance", which means we included square footage. It's ridiculous and I feel your frustration. Your agent may need to go into some of the sites separately to add the square footage, but it could be coming from a syndicated feed which we have a lot less control with. The square footage is one of our quirks in GA.. Most of us would like to see square footage as a standardized part of our listings. It really would help with marketing. Ask your agent to make sure it's included in FMLS. There's one box where it can go. GA MLS has recently added the option to include it too. Best Wishes with the sale of your home.

Jen Bowman, Broker Associate
Keller Williams Realty Atlanta Partners
404-456-5024
Web Reference:  http://www.JenBowman.com
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Thu Dec 23, 2010
Have you contacted your agent about your concern(s). Most agents will comply with majority of seller request(s) YES sq. ft. should be included in any posting

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
Dave Core, , Peachtree City, GA
Thu Dec 23, 2010
I can feel your frustration as a buyer in not being able to know the size of rooms when you are viewing listings. However, while many states show sq. footage in their listings Georgia is not one of them. Interior Sq. Ft. is not used as a marketing tool because the actual information is not readily available to agents. Appraisers do not measure interior footage for lender appraisals, only exterior, for both new and re-sell homes. Tax records tent to reflect this information, which may be inaccurate, depending on the appraiser doing the measurement. Usually an accurate sq.ft. measurement is only conducted for "cost" appraisals, which are required by insurers for replacement building.

New home builders may show a total sq.ft estimate for a home, (i.e. 2400 sq.ft) but as I said it is not a requirement for marketing their homes. As a couple of agents have mentioned, the listing services just recently added this area on the listing forms but I would suggest that this info can only be approximate. If you find a home that you would like to make an offer on you can always request your agent to visit the home and get specific measurements of rooms for your review during the due diligence period of your contract or offer.

Please feel free to contact me with any further questions. I would be more than happy to help.
Dave Core
404-597-2249
Robin Mann, , Tyrone, GA
Wed Dec 22, 2010
Your agent may be hesitant to include it because agents have been sued in the past for listing the square footage, then when the buyer/new owner decides to refinance and the new appraiser measures and doesn’t get the same square footage. To avoid any issues, your agent can say that it is approximately xyz square footage, in addition they can reference where they got their information, i.e. tax record, etc.
Ken Cook, , Atlanta, GA
Wed Dec 22, 2010
Can't wait to see the answer from some Georgia agents. Been fighting this for years even when I owned the real estate company - nobody could give me an acceptable answer.
Web Reference:  http://kennycook.com
Michael Hamm…, Agent, Suwanee, GA
Wed Dec 22, 2010
Most listing data sheets on FMLS' client gateway include square footage from the tax records. Be aware that this info is highly suspect as far as an accurate assessment of what is actually there. Best to find what you like the most and measure it (them) yourself to be sure. Good Luck!

Michael Hammond
SellsRealty@gmail.com
404-538-5499

http://www.SellsRealty.org
Mike Malvey, Agent, Fort Collins, CO
Wed Dec 22, 2010
You can ask your realtor if he/she is including the square footage in the marketing...it might simply be that the websites you are searching do not update info on a timely basis.