How can I compare the different commissions each Realty receives for selling a home? Thank you.

Asked by Peaches, 08527 Sat Jun 2, 2012

Answers

20
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Sat Jun 2, 2012
I think it would be a mistake to compare the COMMISSIONS;
I think you should compare the SERVICE that they will provide!

Think about it.

Good luck and may God bless
Mike Opyd, Agent, Chicago, IL
Mon Nov 4, 2013
You just have to ask each one. More or less the commission agreement is between you and the listing agent on what you both can agree too.
John Sefton, Agent, Long Beach, CA
Sun Nov 3, 2013
Most charge a simple percentage of the sales price, so it is very easy to compare. Choosing an agent, however, based on the fee charged is usually a big mistake.
Joan Congilo…, Agent, Freehold, NJ
Wed Jun 27, 2012
All commissions are negotiable. You should consider interviewing a few different real estate companies and compare what they charge and what services are included with their fees and look at their track record for sales in your area before selecting a realtor just by commissions..
Susanne Brown, Agent, Howell, NJ
Mon Jun 4, 2012
Good morning Peaches!

As almost everyone has said, real estate commissions are negotiable. There is no "set" commission fee. The seller and the agent have to agree to the terms of their contact.

The best way to determine what is best for you is to invite a few different agents in to your home to meet with you and to see and tour the property you wish to sell. An agent that gives you a flat fee over the phone without ever seeing the property is an agent who seems to be cutting corners.

Every property is unique and there are many different reasons that people choose to sell. I do not know how an agent can determine a commssion fee without sitting down with the owner and listening to them to understand their motivations and goals.

Every company has something to offer you in the way they promote your property. The question you should ask is how does the AGENT work and is that agent someone you feel comfortable with. You will be working with this person for the entire time it takes to list the property, promote the property, obtain offers, negotiate price, and then manage the transaction through attorney review, inspections, the walk through and then the closing.

Ask how the agent is going to promote your property. Ask if the agent can make the decisions of how best to represent you, or do they have to ask permission from company managment.

In the end you determine if what the agent will charge makes sense to you. You choose who you think will best represent you with the terms that you are comfortable with.

Best of luck to you! If you have any additional questions, please fee free to contact me.

Susanne Brown
Broker-Sales Associate
RE/MAX Realty 9
4043 US Highway 9
Howell, NJ 07731
Cell" 732-598-2306
Office: 732=364-0300, ex 115
, ,
Mon Jun 4, 2012
I personally believe it is more important to choose the right realtor as opposed to seeking the lowest commission, assuming you aren’t seeking the highest of course. It is easier to compare numbers than it is experience, but it is possible to compare the latter. If a point difference in commission is stopping you from moving it may be time to step back and look at the big picture. If you mess around with a less experienced agent and drag out the marketing time, interest rates and property values on the next deal might increase a lot more than you save on this one.

Jim Simms
NMLS # 6395
JSimms@cmcloans.com
Financing Kentucky One Home at a Time
, ,
Mon Jun 4, 2012
Comparing commissions to me should be the least of your concirns. Most agencys are at 5 % commission. You get what you pay for and with this said, Brand name is everything. Most sellers interview with a couple of agents and make their decision based on representation. You should consider an agent that does Real Estate full time. An easy way to tell if they are successful is to Google their name and see what comes up on the screen. Rember that commissions are meaning less if you keep doing price reductions. Price it right,sell it now and everyone is happy.
John Sefton, Agent, Long Beach, CA
Sat Jun 2, 2012
Commissions are negotiable, but the most common rates are 5 to 6 percent of the sales price, split between the offices. There are usually two agents involved, Sellers' and Buyers' agents, so each office gets half, or 2.5 to 3 percent.

There are a few discount offices that will offer lower commissions, but keep in mind that when a Buyers' agent is selecting homes to show and/or recommend to their Clients, they may shy away from listings with discounted commissions, which means less marketing exposure.
Annette Law…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Sat Jun 2, 2012
Yes, the compensation is fully negotiable.
And of course, Peaches, I know you are savvy enough to look at more than the compensation line.

Before you can do an apples-to-apples comparison, you will find it extremely beneficial to truly understand what YOU are willing to do in selling your home and what you are not willing to do.

You should also consider any preparation costs involved in achieving your sale objectives.

Now, you need to get a little information about the real estate market in your community and city. NO, the data you see on aggregate websites is for entertainment purposes only and has no relationship to real data. The step in preparation will serve you well. Especially if you attended the Open House of a home recently sold similar to your and you know the price for which it sold. (a clue)

Finally, you and the agent with whom you are speak need to be transparent and frank. Any dancing around the bush by either party portends disappointment later.

If we all derived the same satisfaction from any product their would only be one car model and one type of bread. Clearly, we are a county of individuals with incredibly diversified needs. Truly understanding your needs is the first step in getting the right match of compensation and service.

In conclusion, you spread those net sheets on the kitchen table and you've got what you wanted, the knowledge, expectation and goals from which a good decision can be made.

best of success in attaining your selling goals.
Annette
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Sat Jun 2, 2012
You should not just look at what someone charges but what you will get for what you pay. Discount broker can equal discount services. You want someone to guide you through each step of the selling process and provide ample and professional marketing and advertising to sell your home.
Web Reference:  http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
Diana Brunner, Agent, Jackson, NJ
Sat Jun 2, 2012
Hi Peaches,

I agree with most of what my colleagues said below. Yes commissions are 100% negotaible.

You definitely need to interview multiple agents, but it's not just about how much the commissions are, it is however definitely all about the service you will be receiving.

Those services are not just fancy flyers either, you really need to pay attention to an agent's negotiation skills. If they are quick to cut or discount their commissions, how hard will they negotiate for you when it comes time that a buyer makes you an offer?

You also need to bond with and "like" your agent. You will be working very closely with them for a while and it's important that you trust them and have a good relationship too with lots of open communication.

I would be happy to meet with you any time you are available. I am a top producing, award winning broker right here in Jackson. You may have even seen my ads on the back of JTown magazine, or in various other places around town.

Feel free to drop me a line or give me a call anytime. I can be reached ANYTIME at (732) 904-8403. Or via e-mail at Diana@DianaBrunner.com.

Thanks for your inquiry, it was a great question!

Diana Brunner
Broker/Associate
ABR, SFR, ePRO, GREEN
Office: (732) 942-5280 ext.216
NJAR Circle of Excellence Sales Award 2009, 2010, 2011
Wayne Odenbr…, Agent, Mountain Lakes, NJ
Sat Jun 2, 2012
The commissions and services can vary greatly. The best way to find out is to interview several Agencies. That way, the Agent will see you home as well as get a good understanding of your expectations.

And let me reinforcce what others have said....in NJ...commissions are negotiable
Robert D'Amb…, Agent, Morganville, NJ
Sat Jun 2, 2012
The answers are Correct, commissions are negotiable. I am local in Jackson 08527 if you would like to get a local agent to discuss our commission and services please call or email me. Thanks Bob

Robert "Bob" D'Ambrosia
Cell 609-947-3311
Office 732-992-5280
bdambrosia@gmail.com
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Sat Jun 2, 2012
I like what Ron said!

You should be as/more focussed on what you will get for your money, as what amount you will pay!

Also make sure you are listing with an agent, experienced in your area, whose company and marketing plan is comprehensive and offers a successful track record.

UpNest, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Tue Feb 21, 2017
Good question. http://www.UpNest.com is your best bet. It's a free platform. You can consult with realtors in the local area and compare realtor commission fees until you find the best fit for your situation. Plus, you can search anonymously and ask questions about their services, as well as advice on location. All for no cost!
Ben Stern, Home Buyer, Jackson, NJ
Thu Feb 9, 2017
Its annoying, they dont give you any useful information you go to their profile and its a whole blog of BS I dont need to know. Give me a price tag. If one realtor was honest and upfront and proved he was better then the competition as far as costs and what youre getting he would get my business.

Worse than drug dealers, at least they tell you how much youre paying upfront.
Ben Stern, Home Buyer, Jackson, NJ
Thu Feb 9, 2017
Its annoying, they don't give you any useful information you go to their profile and its a whole blog of BS I don't need to know. Give me a price tag. If one realtor was honest and upfront and proved he was better then the competition as far as costs and what you're getting he would get my business.

Worse than drug dealers, at least they tell you how much you're paying upfront.
Pete Maimone, Agent, North Brunswick, NJ
Sun Nov 3, 2013
As many others have stated here DON'T choose your agent based on commission.... I can write a book on this subject.. as well as the dangerous pitfall of going with the agent that suggests the highest listing price. and especially the one who suggests the highest listing price and is willing to work for the lowest commission (99% of the time is the most desperate of agents).... Here's some things to think about..... where have all the 2% & 3% discount commission agencies gone? Out of business...because it doesn't work... next ask for full closing detail sheets when reviewing comparable sales for pricing your home with an agent.... you and maybe your agent will be surprised to find that the highest or closest list price to final sales price ratios are the ones with 6% or even 7% commissions on them. while the 3 & 4% commissions or below the norm co-broke commissions have wider splits between the two and often fill the unsold/expired listing sheets..... lots of reasons for that which a good agent can elaborate on. Any agent can list your home..... but not nearly as many can actually sell it for the highest price possible in the market. Do you want to list your home? Or do you want to sell your home? Think about it :)
Web Reference:  http://www.petemaimone.com
Francesca Pa…, Agent, Manasquan, NJ
Sun Jun 3, 2012
Bottom line is this, Inteveiw 3 area agents and DO NOT let the highest price pursudae you, but rather what the agent has to offer AbOvE AND BEYOND what the AGENCY AS TO OFFER.

Today all agencies offer beaup coup internet coverage, but they they have little clue how to amke ti worki!

As a former computer engineer, I have been able to offer above and beyond that which my my longterm countgerparets.

Francesca Patrizio, Broker Sales Assoicatie, ePro SRES
Francesca@PatrizioRE.com
732.606.2931 (24.7)
Have you ever heard of spell check? Or grammar check? LOL...... Or maybe try a browser that does it for you?
Flag Sun Nov 3, 2013
Edith Karoli…, Agent, Winnetka, IL
Sat Jun 2, 2012
simplest answer YOU cannot....

There is no standard commission, there is no information about what various Realty Companies charge, commissions are NEGOTIABLE

Like everything in life, you usually get what you pay for, so to speak.

Various brokerages provide various services, and depending on their marketing efforts, advertising,
and the individual services of the Realtor and price and location of the home, the ease or difficult of showings and marketing the home all could influence what each brokerage will charge as a commission rate, which as you know includes a shared % amount to the brokerage that brings in
the buyer with their agent.

Just ask the Realtor you want to work with, what the company charges in your case and then let
them explain to you what the services include in detail, then decide who you want to work with....

Good luck to you...
EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com
@Properties North Shore, 30 Green Bay Rd, Winnetka, Il. 60093
covering the city of Chicago, all N and NW suburbs and the fine homes of the North Shore
Edith always works in the very BEST interest of her clients, Buyers, Sellers and Investors alike and she certainly goes the x-tra Mile with a Smile for all her clients with experience and market expertise

Have a wonderful Day!