Home selling, where to find real estate agent?

Asked by Chris, Wed May 11, 2011

looking to sell my home. Worth about 480-500k. What should I expect from agent and how much should I expect to be spending?

Answers

7
Ton Dang, Agent, Burlingame, CA
Fri May 27, 2011
Hi Chris,
If you are looking to sell your house, I’d be glad to sit down with you and share my specific marketing plan for your home. You can expect to get the maximum exposure for the best possible price. My fees are in-line with market commission rates; but my goal is to have you close your escrow with great satisfaction with my services.
Web Reference:  http://www.tdrealestate.com/
Donna Black, , San Mateo, CA
Thu May 12, 2011
Good Morning: you have had some terrific agents giving you some wonderful advice. With all these
excellent answers you should have the information that will guide you to selecting the agent that will
work for you. Best of Luck. Donna Black, Broker Associate, Coldwell Banker San Mateo.
juliette Naj…, Agent, San Mateo, CA
Wed May 11, 2011
Hi chris,
Congratulations of knowing the value of your home, but a professional can help you with his competitive market analysis.
The best agent is the one with whom you feel comfortable, who feeds you with information about the sales which occured in your neighborhood during the past three months and particularly with those in the market who represent your competition, who help you prepare your home and show its best features.
As for your expenses, beside some expenses needed to clean the house (paint, repairs, landscaping, etc) the charges of the Title company are minimal.
If you like to invite me to your home (without commitment on your part), I will be glad to help, just call me at (650) 291-9792 and have a nice day.
David Tapper, Agent, Burlingame, CA
Wed May 11, 2011
Hi Chis,

You should expect your agent to sell your home for the highest and best price and to work and communicate with you so you know what to expect every step of the way. It's very important to have great communication with your agent.

Do not hire the agent who promises you an unrealistic price without a clear cut plan on how to achieve that price. Hire the agent that has the best marketing plan and is a good negotiator, someone who has the backbone to fight for you. Your agent is someone who should look out for your best interest, not their own. If they do a great job for you, then you can refer them. That's a win-win.

Hire an agent that is experienced. The difference between a good agent and a great agent is their knowledge. Your agent should know the area well and have the stats to back it up.

Check out my new listing, it's not going on the MLS until Friday. It's located at 1200 Santa Lucia. the border of Millbrae and San Bruno in the Parkview/ El Crystal area of San Bruno. http://www.Obeo.com/664922

I work and live in San Bruno and have sold 40 to 50 homes there. If you would like to contact my past clients, I am more than happy to arrange that for you. I can also show you the homes that I have sold along with my marketing and business plan.

Best of luck.

Tap
Coldwell Banker
http://www.DavidTapper.com
http://www.TeamTapper.com
650-403-6252 Direct
415-370-7195 Cell
The Medford…, Agent, Fremont, CA
Wed May 11, 2011
You are going to be inundated with Realtors saying, “PICK ME!” Trulia’s guidelines prevent Realtors from soliciting clients through the Q&A Forum – be cautious of agents who do it anyway.

In my opinion, selling a home quickly is about 3 fundamental things (The 3 “P”s) – find a Realtor who understands these the key items:

(1) Preparation:

A good agent will work with you to thoroughly maximize your home for the market. They’ll help you set goals. They’ll show you the other comparable homes in your market. They will walk you through any repairs and/or upgrades they feel you need to make to your home that will get you the maximum bang for your buck. They’ll provide resources to help you accomplish everything required to get your property ready for the market. Lastly, they will stage your home (in my opinion, it should be extensive, comprehensive staging and should make your home “sizzle” in comparison to the other units.).

(2) Promotion:

Evaluate agents by how many homes they’ve sold in the past year in your specific market. Marketing homes effectively in this current economy (to ensure that you get maximum exposure and consequently the highest possible price and best terms) is NOT an inexpensive proposition. REALTORS® who sell a limited number of homes simply do not have the resources to provide professional photographers, custom dedicated websites, real panoramic virtual tours (not just moving still galleries), showcase listings on Realtor.com and other such websites … and on and on. Nor do they have the experience to know how to target your listing in the midst of REOs and short sales. When you meet with prospective REALTORS®, they need to be able to show you an extensive written marketing plan, and take you web links that show how existing and previous listings actually show up online. You need a guarantee that you are getting the absolute best marketing available. An agent who simply parks a sign out front, prints standard cookie cutter brochures and holds open houses every weekend is NOT what you need in the current market.

(3) Pricing:

Here is where the integrity of your agent is going to be critical. Because sellers want to get the highest price possible, some agents will promise you the moon to get your listing – they will allow you to put your property on the market for a few weeks at a ridiculously high price. After a couple of weeks, they’ll come back and ask for a price change. This does damage to your listing and you will usually end up with LESS in your pocket than if you’d listed at the correct market price right from the beginning. You need an agent who knows the various Castro Valley neighborhoods, the differences between them, current market trends and who has the ability to crunch all of the data for you and produce a realistic and accurate CMA (Comparative Market Analysis). You want an agent who will tell you the truth about listing price even if it means they might not get your business. Ask for their “Listing Price to Sales Price ratio.” And remember, the market sets the price, not the seller. Agents who sell a lot of homes know the market and can help you get the price right the first time.

Testing The Market NOT A Good Idea: Top 4 Reasons Explained
http://www.trulia.com/blog/carl_medford/2009/11/testing_the_…

Top 15 Things A Listing Agent Won’t Tell Sellers … (But REALLY Should …)
http://www.trulia.com/blog/carl_medford/2009/05/top_15_thing…

How Does Your Listing Compare With a Banana?
http://www.trulia.com/blog/carl_medford/2009/03/how_does_you…

In addition to the above 3 “P”s – there is a fourth “P” when choosing an agent:

(4) Personality

You want someone that will mesh with you – someone you are comfortable with and can trust. They need to be able to frequently communicate with you in the manner you prefer and must be amicable, genuine and competent. They have to have a track record with written testimonials and references upon request. You want a coach, mentor, guide, facilitator – not a pushy sales person. In reality, you are looking for someone who will help you sell your home now BUT, if you stay in the area, be a continued resource for many years to come. Best of all, you might even end up with … a friend!

As for how to actually FIND one?

Ask your friends. Ask your accountant and attorney. Drive around and note who has the most listings in the area. Look online with companies such as HomeGain.com and their Agent Evaluator program. Interview REALTORS® who have the savvy to be here on Trulia and who answer your questions.

As to how much should you pay for commission and selling costs? Don’t scrimp on commission – you’ll be sorry you did. And any Realtor you interview will be able to provide you with a comprehensive net sheet explaining all costs.

.
The Laugesen…, Agent, Burlingame, CA
Wed May 11, 2011
Dear Chris...
You should expect excitement from your agent, someone that believes in your property and knows how to market..Someone who is experienced and showcases your home to your audience...someone who knows your audience...Interview 3 real estate agents...look at their references from their past clients...contact the clients..
I would like to apply for the position of your agent...Go to my website http://Www.deniselaugesenteam.com..look at the testimonials from my past clients..I can provide an additional list of clients I have represented in the last 3 months...
Commission is an important factor in doing business...but not the most important factor...if an agent can get your home dressed up for your market of buyers...and have your property shine...and in today's market it needs to shine...inside and out...that agent may be able to execute a sales price that supercedes the additional money you may pay in commission. If someone can get you top dollar because of his or her marketing...why would you question whether you pay 5 or 6 percent commission.. if someone cannot negotiate his or her own commission, why would you want that person negotiated a 500,000 sales price..
How a home is ready for your market and how it is priced...is the most important factor to getting your home sold..that agent needs to believe in your home...market it to the appropriate audience that will buy the property...if she is seasoned...she or he will know what to do...Good Luck to you...Feel free to contact me for an interview...I never over-promise and under-deliver...my motto...under promise and always over deliver..
Call me for an interview..

Denise Laugesen
Top 1% Internationally
Coldwell Banker
650-465-5742
denise.laugesen@cbnorcal.com
Karin Cunnin…, Agent, San Bruno, CA
Wed May 11, 2011
Hi Chris!

An agent should work hard to promote your home through various internet sites, open houses, flyer canvassing to renters, and emails to other offices and people throughout the community! An average commission is between 5-6% of the puchase price. It's a tough market and the key is to be priced right! I would love to be considered for an interview! I am a full time Realtor and an active member of the community.

I will be a hostess at St. Robert's this Friday night 5-8 for a pasta fundraiser dinner for a 6 yr old boy from Allen School who has cancer. This event is open to the public so if you want, swing on by and join us! I would love to meet you.
Thanks!

Karin Cunningham
Prudential California Realty
180 El Camino Real
San Bruno< Ca. 94066
650-438-3504
For San Bruno events and activities http://www.Facebook.com/SanBrunoLife
Search for homes: http://www.KarinCunningham.com