Manny, Home Seller in Seatac, WA

Home seller/Can I sign 3 months contract?

Asked by Manny, Seatac, WA Fri Jan 14, 2011

Hi,I want to sell my house but would love to sign only 3 months contract to the realtor(usually 6 months)after that
might be considering month to month until sell or withdraw without words or court involve.I need your advices.
Thanks.Frank

Answers

7
Some realtors may accept that. Make sure to ask when you interview agents. Depending on the activity in the area or what type of marketing the agent will need to do on your behalf can depend on how long a time they have for a listing contract.
Manny,
The best Realtors in your area will only list a home if the seller is serious about selling. To you putting your home on the market might be an experiment or a test to see what price you can get.

For Realtors selling homes is how we earn a living. I only will take a listing I know will sell.

That being said, I am certain you can find a Realtor that would be willing to put your home on the market to see if you can get your price.

Why would they do that?
I don't know, maybe they hope they can find buyers to work with to buy another home?

Look at the statistics page link below. Your market is declining at 11% per year. The only way I would list your home is if you have to sell. If you don't have to sell stay put, just know it looks as though this may be a long time (3-5 years minimum).
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
Manny,

Good Evening.

Didn't want to go in-depth on the answer as everyone that did answer you, pretty much said word for word
the same thing, which I as a full time agent agree with.

I only wanted to add, that when interviewing agents, have a list of questions, take notes and always feel free
to ask/tell what your goals are. That way everyone is on the same page and the task at hand has realistic
time frames, guidlelines and price structure.

Best of luck.

-Shawn, REALTOR
HI Manny,
Yes you can list for three month's with your Realtor,however, you would do better to list for a longer period. As far as month-to-month is concerned, I doubt you will find a professional Realtor willing to work on that basis. It simply takes too much time and expense to list a property for a monthly agreement to be worthwhile.
Why should we get tied up with an agent for 6 months when they do nothing after the first 30 days? Now our hands would be tied......
Flag Thu Jul 2, 2015
You can negotiate the listing agreement however you want to list it, but a good agent will not take a month to month because they know what it takes to sell a home. Most agents if they do a month to month listing agreement they may try to price it so low just to get into contract before you take it away from them.

If you are selling as a short sales six months might be too little of a listing arrangement three months is definitely too short. If you are selling it at a reasonable price with know encumbrances then 3 months might be just right.

You have to remember Realtors work for free until we sell the home and for an agent to take a short listing time and incur expenses advertising your property is just not fair to the agent.

Samantha James-Tharp
Remax Midway Realty
772-528-4134
Manny,
Mariah is correct; the term for listing agreements is negotiable. If you were to approach me with your request, I would ask about your reasoning and motivation. As a listing agent, there are a lot of front loaded costs we incur when putting a home on the market, so naturally we want to ensure we have a reasonable timeframe to work with.
If you are realistic about price, the home is market ready and you intend to cooperate readily with showings, a good agent may consider what you request. If you are overpriced, in rough condition and/or you don't intend to make it available for showings with 1 hour notice, the agents you'll attract collect listings but don't sell them.
Selling is a cooperative process, you and your agent need to be on the same page if you want the best outcome for the most money in the least amount of time. Best wishes for a quick sale.
A listing agreement can be for any amount of time; the policy is really set by the listing agency. I wouldn't recommend a short term listing in a market like this. Interview your agent carefully and give them at least 6 months to get the job done for you. It doesn't do you any good to change agents/companies. Give the agent a reasonable amount of time and ask them to give you quantitative feedback as to what they are doing to market your home. A short term listing gives the agent little comfort to invest money into the marketing of the home.