Home Selling in Hoboken>Question Details

NittanyLion, Home Owner in Hoboken, NJ

Hoboken buyer's agents - do you think turning an existing tub into a tiled shower in my condo would devalue it when it comes time to sell?

Asked by NittanyLion, Hoboken, NJ Tue Jan 1, 2013

I'm thinking of renovating my bathroom and turning the tub into a shower, but would not want to lose the condo's appeal to potential buyers with young children. It is a 2 bed, 1 bath in SW Hoboken. Several of the other tenants are young families with small children so it's likely that similar families/buyers may want to purchase my unit in the future. I would use this for at least 3-5 years. Thanks!

Answers

9
Jose Martinez’s answer
I would stick with the tub, most families like this. Maybe do some upgrades, but keep the tub.

Also check out my video on How Home Purchases are Made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe29-4VZxyU&feature=youtu.be

Jose Martinez
201-494-1973
Don't do it. I can't tell you how many times I've shown tub-less condo's where the buyer's say, "This is a great place, but the bathroom doesn't have a tub". I'll even ask them how often they use the tub and the answer is almost always "seldom". But, they still want that tub!
That is up to the buyer. Some people like a shower and others like a bath. Location, the price and how it shows at the time if the potential buyer likes. That is your home now and you should be happy doing what your going to enjoy.
I would never buy a place with 1 bathroom.

Try to put in a second bath.
baths and kitchens are the most expensive areas to rennovate. Most buyers I work with wouldnt consider a home that lacked a tub even if they always showered. (I have seen homes where when occupants travel, all the house plants go in the tub) There are some really great tub/ shower combinations out there that will add value over cosmetic fixes. Take your time and check out all the options.
Personally, a new beautiful walk-in tiled shower would open up the bathroom and many buyers are quite pleased with that renovation! However, it might limit your buyers that have a baby/young child, then I sugguest you re-glaze the tub, put in new fixtures, add glass door and re-tile if needed. I could only advise more specifically by seeing the property.

Janice Prefer
Liberty Realty
917-992-7990
I agree that not having a tub in your apartment will limit the appeal when you are ready to sell. I would not advise you to eliminate the tub.
When I read your question, my first thought was is your place a one bedroom or two bedroom. Since it is a two bedroom, one bath and other occupants in building are couples with kids, you need to leave the tub in place for best use and resale value. Otherwise you will lose a large segment of the market of future buyers. Your other option would be to change shower back to a tub before you sell, but that is cost prohibitive. Leave the tub and re tile around it if you want. Upgrading the shower head is worthwhile. Go to Standard Tile on Kennedy Blvd in the Heights and talk to them. They can offer some great options on tile.
There are some buyers that do not take baths they only take showers. When my children were young I found it easier to give them a shower than soaking them in the tub.
there will also be buyers on the other side that would need a tub for there children or themselves.
There is no way to put a value on it just that some buyers will appreciate the new shower and some will keep looking for a unit with a tub. Being in Hoboken I would say enjoy yourself and when you are ready to sell you will have to wait for the right buyer which may not be long in Hoboken anyway.

best wishes for the new year