Hi, I recently sold my home,happily for above asking and within a week of listing...about a day or so after we costed a neighbor who was partFaceboow

Asked by Steven, Northborough, MA Sat Dec 17, 2011

Sorry typing error....my question is isn't it unethical and against the code of conduct for a realtor to engage in a negative conversation on Facebook listing info about the purchase and sale of my home.?

Answers

16
Dan Tabit, Agent, Issaquah, WA
Sat Dec 17, 2011
Steven,
It was unprofessional to say the least; unethical depends as Mack said if they are a Realtor. Not all agents are Realtors and even those that are sometimes break our code of ethics.
Not knowing more about what was said, it's difficult to judge. Have you discussed it with your agent? They would be in the best position to register a complaint as it may reflect poorly on them too.
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Sat Dec 17, 2011
Presuming this isn't YOUR agent . . . if they're not a Realtor®, they're just a real estate agent and not bound by our Code of Ethics. I think it is a fine line - can a real estate licensee tell their husband their negative thoughts about a listing? Their children? Their friends? Where does the circle of conversation end?

I don't know the answer to this, and I don't really think that anybody in business looks good trashing the competition - I don't know why Steven's house sold when my listing down the street is twice as good for half the price - but real estate agents are people, too.

So I suppose there's a part of me that is wondering, "So what?" Now, if this is YOUR agent, or the agent representing the buyer, then this may be actionable behavior.

Anyway, congratulations! ! !
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Sat Dec 17, 2011
We are expected to maintain a period of confidentiality during the Escrow:
Basically, that cloud is lifted after the Escrow Closes, because 30 days later, almost everything is there for anyone to read thanks to the County Recorder's Office.
You might complain to that Agent's Broker, because that would be a little indescreet, but not illegal.

We often have people ask us what someone owes on a house that is in foreclosure: THAT is personal and nobody's business. But almost everything else is in the public record.

Good luck and may God bless
Fales, , Westborough, MA
Sun Feb 26, 2012
False post.

I just checked, no sale in NB in the past year has been above the original asking price.
Margaret Has…, Agent, Tampa, FL
Sat Jan 28, 2012
What was the negative thing that was said? The sale price is public record...
Web Reference:  http://tampahouse1.com
Territory.c…, Agent, MA,
Thu Jan 5, 2012
I can't seem to figure out what would be negative about closing over asking price but regardless do what Heath suggests and print out the comment and approach the agent and the broker at his/her firm. You can also involve your attorney but I guess it depends on what was said and if you want / need o spend them money.

http://territory.com/
Web Reference:  http://territory.com/
On the Fence, , Westborough, MA
Tue Dec 27, 2011
Was the sale in Chatford Notch?
Heath Coker, Agent, Falmouth, MA
Wed Dec 21, 2011
I would find the comment, and I would print it out, and then I would ask a lawyer or provide it to the board where the agent is a member.
Christine Mo…, Agent, Wilbraham, MA
Sun Dec 18, 2011
Most agents use facebook as an advertising platform. What you need to figure out is what was said. If it was asking price and sale price.....that is public record. If they said the home owner was rude or something like that you can complain. You need to have the info.
Amy Mullen, Agent, Shrewsbury, MA
Sat Dec 17, 2011
Steven,

I'm not sure understand because I don't know what was said. If your home sold for above asking within a week of listing - what could possibly be negative about that?

Amy
Nina Rogoff, Agent, Medfield, MA
Sat Dec 17, 2011
Hi, Steven,

Since you heard about this from someone else, you may want to confirm that it was, in fact, your real estate agent, and not the buyer or someone else who wrote about the transaction. You also might want to verify that whatever was written was really negative and not just something your former neighbor misunderstood.

I don't know if it's against the Code of Conduct. It would certainly be unprofessional to speak negatively in a public forum about anything that was related to a client or a transaction...particularly if the person or property can be easily identified by others from what was written.

If that real estate agent is speaking publicly about one client, it might be a caution to others that the same thing could happen to them if they work with this agent. A Realtor hears and sees many things. Confidentiality and integrity are two of the most important qualities we can offer our clients.

Congratulations on selling your home so quickly and above asking price! I hope you're enjoying your new home. Best wishes,

Nina Rogoff, RE/MAX Executive Realty
http://www.ninarogoff.com
Web Reference:  http://www.livesharon.com
Shawn Kriewa…, Agent, Madison, WI
Sat Dec 17, 2011
Steven,
First of all Congratulations on your sale!

Depending on the information posted it seems to be either bad judgement or unethical...
You may wish to contact the person posting directly or the supervising broker. If you do not receive a satisfactory outcome and the offending poster is a REALTOR, consider contacting the local association of Realtors or your state licensing agency.

Louis Wolfs…, Agent, Needham, MA
Sat Dec 17, 2011
Anyone can file a complaint with the State Real Estate board. Complaints are taken very seriously.
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Sat Dec 17, 2011
Steven,

There are periods of confidentiality in real estate that must be recognized as well as being a sensitive and caring individual. It may or may not be illegal or unethical or a violation of any thing but hanging out dirty laundry after any duration simply is not a good business practice.

My recommendation is to confront the agent directly and ask them to take steps to remove the undesirable post.

John Juarez, Agent, Fremont, CA
Sat Dec 17, 2011
Steven,

It is hard to speculate on what might be a breach of ethics without more detailed information. Agents are entitled to opinions as much as anyone else. Expressing an opinion on a social networking site may show a lack of good judgment. On the other hand, it could be that you simply disagree with what was said. Given the information at hand, there is no way we can say.
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Sat Dec 17, 2011
Steven there are some variables, if it is your agent than there is a problem, if it is an agent involved it could be a problem, if they are not involved it depends what they said... anyway you look at it it is not professional, could be unethical and depending ion who and what if it is against RE commission law.
Web Reference:  http://www.ScottSellsNH.com