Home Selling in Carson Park>Question Details

Lisa, Both Buyer and Seller in Long Beach, CA

Hello, we are selling our house and it just went into escrow.

Asked by Lisa, Long Beach, CA Wed Jun 4, 2008

We received the very large packet of escrow papers in the mail from the escrow company. Enclosed was a letter asking us to complete all the forms and return them to the company. Is this typically something the seller completes on their own. The packet is quite overwhelming and we feel someone should be assisting us. Is this the responsibility of our realtor or the escrow company or someone else? Furthermore, there are some forms that need to be notarized - is this our responsibility as well or should this be provided to us? Any suggestions to make this an easier process will be very helpful.

Help the community by answering this question:


Great Question..... Some clients prefer to do the paperwork on thier own time. But by all means you can sit with your realtor and go over the escrow instructions. That is on a by person preference.... and / or call your escrow officer and make an appointment to sit with her/him and go over all the escrow papers and she or he will notorize it for you. Either way you should feel open to call your agent and escrow for help and they should be more than happy to assist you. Escrow will notorize your documents and your bank will which ever is more convenient for you. Our job in this industry is to make your transation as smooth as possible. Hopefully your escrow office is close enough to you and you can just drive over and sit with the escrow officer and hand over all the paperwork that is needed for the contract. Good Luck on your closing. Congratulations!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 11, 2008
I'm sure the packet full of papers to fill out is overwheming. There should be 2 sets, one for you to sign and return and a copy for your records. There should be Supplemental Escrow Instructions, Statements of Information, Loan Information, Preliminary Title Report Approval, Hazard Report, etc. Since you're hesitant to complete all the paperwork on your own you can call the Escrow Officer named on the Escrow Instructions to set up an appt. to have someone assist you with the completion of these papers. They are usually happy to help and you can have your Grant Deed notorized while you're in their office. Be sure to fill out what you can at home because you'll need your existing loan information if their are any loans against the property. This will give your Escrow Officer the info she needs to order your payoff statement from your lender. Good Luck and Happy Closing...
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 5, 2008
It sounds to me that you need some advice. Advice normally provided by your Realtor. So, are you using an MLS entry only broker? That is why there is a difference between limited /entry only and full service. The problem is that WE cannot help you. You need help. You need to perhaps pay an attorney (they're cheap, only $300-$400 per hour).

Good luck.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 5, 2008
300-400 an hour is not cheap!!!!!
Flag Sat Aug 27, 2016
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
Although this packet may seem overwhelming, it is for your protection. The Privacy Act changed the way that real estate professionals helped with the closing process and changed the way escrow companies worked as well. I'm sure that most of the questions are going to aid your escrow company in closing the transaction for you and has it who your current mortgage is to and how much the payoff will be on the day of closing as well as a per diem amount (this means interest per day on your mortgage). Also, your federal tax ID number/SS#'s, driver's license #'s things of that nature. Some of that packet may be a copy of the title comitment, meaning that the escrow company is going to provide title insurance on your property, should you have questions you should check with your agent, who also should have a copy, they will be able to answer or find out the answer. The rest depends on how much personal financial information you want to share. Keep in mind it is for your protection and necessary to close your transaction.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 5, 2008

Talk to your Realtor, they will help you with the paperwork or they will get the Escrow Agent to help out.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 5, 2008
Hi Lisa,
In my past experience, myself and/or my clients make an appointment with the title company and go over the paperwork together. They usually go over every single page, explain everything to you to make sure you understand everything you are signing and initialling. I'd call your Realtor and the title company and set up an appt.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 5, 2008
Your Realtor she defintely being helping you with the paperwork - that's our job!
Web Reference: http://www.cindihagley.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 4, 2008
The Hagley G…, Real Estate Pro in Pleasanton, CA
call your agent! they should have sat with you through all these documents unless you aren't giving us the whole scenario.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed May 27, 2009
it might be best to contact the escrow or mortgage company, where the papers came from and ask them what exactly they want you to do with that papers. Half of the package might be your copy.
Charita King 562-276-8681
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 25, 2008

I hope you are working with a Realtor. I usually sit down with my clients to help them complete the paperwork, especially the first time buyers. Some of the questions are very confusing.

Most banks provide notaries.

Ask your Realtor to help with the paperwork.

Karen Miller
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 4, 2008
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer