Hello, I own a home, but would like to relocate before fixing it up and putting it on the market.

Asked by Christyv, Big Pine, CA Tue Jan 19, 2010

Hello, I own a home, (completely paid for) but would like to relocate before fixing it up and putting it on the market. I Currently reside in the home I wish to sell with my two small children, two dogs, and three cats. It's pretty difficult to keep it clean and fix it up while we're actually living there, and I'm sure I would get a much better price if we could relocate before selling. I have very limited resources, no credit, and really would like to buy something a little smaller and better suited for us. How should I go about it? Is it even possible?

Answers

2
Linda, , Berwyn, PA
Wed Jan 20, 2010
I can appreciate the challenge of having a house with children and pets on the market. However, it can be more difficult to sell a vacant property. Empty houses often feel cold and un-inviting. It is also difficult for buyers to imagine how their own furniture will fit and in some cases what the purpose of a given room would be. That being said, pet odors, fur and litter boxes can be a real turn off for some buyers. If your furniture is in good condition, consider leaving some behind in the house if that is practical for your situation. Thoroughly clean the house and remove any evidence of pets. Make sure the house appears well maintained. You may need to consider re-painting some rooms once things have been removed from the house. Best of luck.
Brian Pakulla, Agent, Ellicott City, MD
Tue Jan 19, 2010
You can work on staging your home and have an experienced agent schedule appointments for showings of your home in advance. If that is not possible, do you have any family or friends that would take you in while you are selling? Or possible the pets?