lcd, Home Buyer in Santa Clarita, CA

Hello. I can afford to fix the interiors but just cant afford 15-20k to put in a backyard landscape. Would that be a big problem selling?Thanks.

Asked by lcd, Santa Clarita, CA Mon Apr 29, 2013

In this "sellers" market I think you will be ok with this situation. Honestly try to make it look "sellable" as much as possible and for as cheap as possible, something so the buyers can imagine themselves in the home. You will definitely have leverage if you’re going to list your home, extremely low inventory and tons of well qualified buyers...have fun picking and choosing which offer will suit you best!

Alex Meguerditchian
nice website by the way Alex!
Flag Mon May 13, 2013
so true!
Flag Mon May 13, 2013
good info!
Flag Fri May 3, 2013
Most buyer's have a hard time "imagining" what it would look like, even if you're offering the money for them to landscape, hardscape, etc.

My advice is to make it look as nice as possible for as little money as possible- keep in mind your ultimate goal, which for most sellers is to net as much from the sale as possible. Sod is a great idea, but don't forget the cost of the sprinklers. (Someone suggested a lawn sprinkler, not too sure about that....)

Also, before you fix the interior, be sure to contact a lender/appraiser to be sure you're fixing everything you need to in order to pass appraisal.

Dan Andrizzi
Why on Earth would you have to spend 15 to 20 k on landscaping your back yard. You said it was big. How big is big? You can buy Sod for about 100 bucks per pallet.

Lose the stepping stones and prep your entire yard for sod.

Example: Doing it yourself? 500 sq. feet per pallet of sod is typical I think. You'd need 10 pallets to cover ~5000 sq. ft. For example a pallet cost an average of $100. So you'd be looking at abut 1k plus shipping. If you don't want to do it yourself you could go down to the corner and pick up a couple of good hard trajabadores for $80 each plus lunch and they'll work their rear ends off. So now you're at about $1200+-.

Next throw in a few trees that do well in your area along with a few shrubs and flower beds around the perimeter of your home If you think irrigation will help you sell your house any better then you could get into some pretty serious $$$. But for simple staging purposes just to generate a little eyeball and know full well that the buyer may want to replace the Sod with a pool and some hardscape I don't think it would be a deal breaker. You'd just have to get a lawn sprinkler and do some hand watering around the flower beds, shrubs and trees.

If your backyard is a quarter acre (approx 11,000sf) or less you should be able to do the whole thing for around 5k. We've been doing rehabs for years and would never spend that much $$$ on landscaping. Put your focus on the interior i.e. appliances, flooring, countertops, fresh paint, etc. and throw in some staging and you should be good to go.

Here's some contact info on the sod:
Whether to make a home improvment to increase the value of your home for sale is dependant on a couple of factors, regardless of whether it is an interior or exterior improvement.

1) The cost of improvment relative to the increase in home value
2) The level of neutrality to the home improvment aka whether you chose materials that are appealing to the broadest number of buyers.

Before you do any work in your home, I would consult a realtor who can shed light on the benefit that is given to particular home improvements. I am happy to meet with you at a convenient time to share some resources I have obtained on the values for particular home improvements. These will help provide some clarity on how to spend your investment dollars, or whethe to spend those dollars.

Since the market is going up and will probably continue to do so as long as inventory and rates remain low, there is no rush to get this work done and list your property. Take a few moments to due proper due diligence and you will help maximize the return on investment for your family.

Thanks for your time and I look forward to your feedback.

Eddie Momeny
Realty Executives
Before you spend any serious money on your landscaping to make it look great in your opinion, consider that the buyer may have other ideas or plans for the yard. Maybe a pool or spa or an addition or fill in the want to make sure that there is a return on the money you are considering to spend. Your Realtor should have some ideas that could accomplish the best bang for your buck.
Hello Icd!

I have been involved in a lot of home sales in the last 34 years. Every home and every seller have their own unique situation or story to tell. I am a great listener and have the experience to be a very good problem solver. Buyers also have their own desires and needs when it comes to a home purchase. I can help you with your concerns as well as seeing up front what a buyer faces coming into a transaction. Understanding this will help you prepare for the sale ahead.

I would love to have a sit down with you sometime soon to go over the details and view your home!

Ron King "El Rey"
Unique Realty Corp.
"People are always first"!
(818) 262-6575
Good Evening Icd,

There are many options for you to try when selling your home. There are many different types of buyers that are currently looking for homes and depending on your home you may want to offer some type of credit for basic landscaping that could be payed through escrow, try and sell as is, or sometimes you might be able to have a preferred contractor provide an allowance and allow the buyer to design backyard the way they would like it to be. I would be more than happy to discuss options with you. Please feel free to contact me anytime.

Nancy Villasenor
Broker Associate
RE/MAX of Santa Clarita
Direct (661) 945-7200
Office (661) 284-5095
Broker License #01433438
Thanks, my back yard is pretty big. Right now half of it is laid with 12x12 stepping stones and half is just dirt. I can fill the dirt in with sod, but the stepping stones look a little bit on the cheap side. I'm just a tad concern.
This is a very good question and one that needs to be asked before spending a dime. You see, many people invest money into a home just to sell it. That doesn't make any sense unless the money being spent will allow you to sell faster and at a higher price. I always tell my clients not to spend any money that won't increase their net at the end of the sale. Allow me to stop my and see your home. I'll give my opinion on what needs to be done and what would be throwing your money away.

Tony Lewis * RE/MAX of Valencia Cell - 661-510-7975
Web Reference:
There are a few different options you could have regarding your backyard landscape, depending on your specific situation with your home.

First, it would be best that the yard be clean and free of weeds. A good starting point for a buyer is better than a garden of weeds.

If your situation allows, you have the option of crediting the buyer for closing costs to help them keep cash toward the expense of doing the landscape after closing. There are a few different ways this can be a benefit to you and the buyer.

The net sales price can be adjusted to accommodate a buyer purchasing the home without the backyard landscaping being up to par.

There are many options that can be available to you to maximize the sales potential of your home and net you the most possible in this market.

Would be happy to explore your options with you.

Michael Regilio