For some years I was told from my husbands family that he and I were needing to sign over our names due to an

Asked by Shelle, North Carolina Wed Aug 13, 2008

inheritance from his late grandfather.....his grandfather requested that some land be split up among his children once he passed away. Unfortunately my husband father passed away so the inheritance would have to be divided among his children. So he and I due to being marriage were required to sign documents if we didn't want to have anything to do with the land. I saw as of today it was recorded in the local county register of deeds : my husband name and my name to another family member and their spouse a lot of a subdivision then it said quitclaim...I am confused due to the fact I have not signed anything. Please help me to understand what is going on. Thank you

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


The Tingen T…, Agent, Greenville, NC
Thu Aug 14, 2008
Lynn is should immediately consult a real estate attorney. There may or may not have been a Realtor involved...not enough information given. But in the overal scheme of things, I'd be more concerned with the way it was accomplished.

It would appear that a quitclaim document has been executed with a forged signature, if neither you nor your husband have signed one or given a specific power of attorney enabling someone to sign on your behalf. Laws in diifferent states vary, but that would be the logical conclusion if it had taken place in my home town, Greenville, NC. The quitclaim would also have to be properly notarized here to be enforceable. See an attorney and it shouldn't take much time at all for him to follow the trail at the courthouse. It should all be recorded and on file, unless your state is radically different from mine.

Basically a quitclaim deed in Greenville, NC signs over any interests or ownership a person has, or may have, in a property. A real estate attorney will be able to advise you concerning your situation. Best of luck. Pistol Tingen
0 votes
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Wed Aug 13, 2008
You need confer with a real estate attorney present all the documents for their review. Any statements made without review of documents could hold a realtor liable of incorrect information.
Web Reference:
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Home Selling in Greenville Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more