Helena, Other/Just Looking in 60605

Fireplace: keep or remove? I live at 910 S. Michigan (Michigan Ave Lofts) in their typical, smaller, one bedroom (875sf). If you know this

Asked by Helena, 60605 Fri Sep 18, 2009

building, you know that the gas fireplace is located in the walls that separates the living room from bedroom, and that the fireplace sticks out from the wall at an angle. I never use it, and it is dated-looking (black and scary from the late 1990's when the condo first opened). Plus, if I remove the fireplace, I have more square footage in both the living room and bedroom. Would it be a good idea to remove the fireplace?

Answers

5
Hi Helena,

Fireplaces add value to your condo. If you plan on selling, then save yourself the money of tearing it out. I agree with Patrick, if you want the extra space and plan on staying there then go for it! Hope this helps.

Cherrie Catama
cherrie@newmanrealtyillinois.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 22, 2009
Hi Michigan Ave,

I would highly recommend that you keep the gas fireplace. It will add value to the property if you update it.

Consider over time, and as the budget allows, to re-tile the fireplace facade. In addition, add a mantal and perhaps a mirror to increase the feeling of the size of the space.

There are also new and better looking "faux wood" these days which will also update the fireplace and make it look better.

I would suggest just getting an "Estimate" so you have something to think about it.

Dana
A fireplace is desirable feature for most people. An ugly one is not. Giving it a facelift that deletes the scary black which you dislike could actually transform the whole look of both rooms to something you would personalize and enhance the look of your condo. Go for neutral with texture that blends rather than stands out from the adjacent walls. Removing a fireplace safely can be expensive and would negatively impact the resale value should you decide to sell in the future. Note: Some people have invented aesthetically interesting ways to decorate the firebox/ hearth area when not in use - an arrangement such as flowers, plants, a sculpture, basket, etc.
Hi Helena,

Cherrie Catama
cherrie@newmanrealtyillinois.com
it's a matter of preference. Are you thinking about selling and trying to make more space to make it more attractive to the buyer or are you just trying to make more space for yourself?

If it's for yourself and you don't want it and it will give you more room, then go ahead and remove it. It could always be put back in later.

If you are looking to sell keep in mind that a lot of the units in that building have fireplaces. You would have to adjust your price accordingly without the fireplace.