Eminent Domain. We are meeting with the county without representation. We know the amounts agreed on for two neighbors and want to up ours some. Adv

Asked by Homes4u, Goldenrod, FL Wed Jan 18, 2012

Answers

4
John Juarez, Agent, Fremont, CA
Wed Jan 18, 2012
Home4u,

I find it puzzling that you would go to the county (professionals) without professional representation but you free safe in asking for free advice from those who are unqualified to provide it.

Have you ever heard of the expression “penny wise and pound foolish”?
Ann Ryan, Agent, Doral, FL
Wed Jan 18, 2012
Homes, how does your home compare to your neighbors IN THE TAX RECORD? Do you have more square feet? More bedrooms? Can you take pictures to demonstrate a better property? Do it before you go to the meeting, just to help bolster your argument.

That said, unless the difference in $ is less than $1000, I'd probably bring a lawyer along... there's a lot of money at stake, and it's probably worth the expense.
Roland Vinya…, Agent, Sprakers, NY
Wed Jan 18, 2012
I think meeting without representation may make some sense as you can later claim that you need representation. Work out your agreement and if you are delighted, sign, but with an attorney approval clause. If you are less than delighted but think you should accept, say you will take it to your attorney before signing. That way you retain some options but do not incur needless attorney fees.
Mott Marvin…, Agent, Sunny Isles Beach, FL
Wed Jan 18, 2012
Going without representation is in my opinion - not the best idea. Lawyers that specialize in Eminent Domain have experience and "tricks up their sleeve" that the general public and Realtors® just don't have the experience and know how in.

If you are thinking about a counter-offer to the County- it may or may not work. IF you have the documentation as to your reasoning- bring it with you.