Electrical Issue noted at Inspection...

Asked by Ana, New Jersey Tue Apr 1, 2008

I live in a condominium that i just sold. I had an inspection and they found that my electrical wiring was undersized for my amp breaker. I lived here for three years and the prior owners about six. That was never noted on their reports. I guess my question is - according to the property manager I'm responsible - how much I should take off the sales price. BTW, because of the market, I already dropped the price almost 10%.

Answers

5
Florida Home…, , Saint Augustine, FL
Tue Mar 31, 2009
Ana
Im Sorry to hear this. The problem was that the issue has past several inspections and never caught even when built. You have several ways you can handle it. The best is th keep the price the same. Do Nont lower since you already did once. The repair should not cost that much to be completed. Best is find a few estimates from contractors (Electrical). I hope that is all the major issues your inspector found.
Good Luck
Inspector Ge…, , Chicago, IL
Fri Apr 11, 2008
This was likely noted when the inspector opened the box and saw a 14guage wire on a 20 amp breaker. This is very common. If this was the case, you could simply change the breaker to a 15 amp breaker and viola! problem solved. This really should be checked out by an electrician. I cannot imagine this would cost more than a 100-200 bucks. Save your receipts.

Its too bad your original inspector did not catch this potential fire hazard. This is really a common problem and should have been found.
Web Reference:  http://www.inspexpro.com/
Emily Erekuff, Home Owner, Menifee, CA
Thu Apr 3, 2008
Hi Everyone,

This thread was duplicated and I'm going to close the other thread but I wanted to let you all know that an additional answer can be found at the link below.

Best Wishes,

Emily Gibson
Customer Service Representative
Rick & Pat R…, Agent, Kirkland, WA
Wed Apr 2, 2008
If it were my home, I would have a licensed electrician evaluate the potential problem. ASk your realtor for a referral to a good electrician (one you can trust and whose charges are reasonable)
Sometimes inspectors know what they are talking about, and sometimes they do not. If there is a problem, you would be better off getting it fixed. That is likely to cost you less than offering buyers a discount. Buyers always assume a problem will cost more to fix than it usually does .
Matthew Bunt…, , Killeen, TX
Tue Apr 1, 2008
Building Electrical Codes are changing constantly. You need to find out the costs necessary to bring the wiring up the code specification, then decide if you want to drop the sales price. There may not have been a wiring code violation on the amp breaker when the previous owners occupied the property. You didn't say whether you were selling your property as-is or as repaired. In most areas Building codes faults and violations are the home owners responsibility. Unless being sold as-is or all parties involved in the sale can come to an agreement as to who will pay for the repairs.