Does the home seller pay a commission to both their listing agent and to the buyer's agent?

Asked by k.sand, Flower Mound, TX Wed Apr 24, 2013

In our low inventory area, seller's agents are coming down to 5%, but do we also pay 6% to the buyer's agent? Total fee to sell 11%?

Answers

4
Tim Moore, Agent, Kitty Hawk, NC
Wed Apr 24, 2013
The listing company has an agreement with a seller for a certain amount of total commission to be paid to the listing company if, and only if, the house sells. That listing company then enters the listing into the local MLS system and offers a set commission to any company that brings a buyer. Normally it is 1/2 of the total commission they get from the seller, but it does not have to be. It can be more or less than 1/2. When the homes sells and closes the commission is subtracted from the proceeds the seller gets and goes to the listing company and the selling company based on the split agreed to in the MLS listing. Each of those companies now splits their received commission with the agent that works for them with some agreed amount from half up to 90% or more.
Tommy Burris, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Baton Rouge, LA
Wed Apr 24, 2013
Tim answered this question very well.
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Wed Apr 24, 2013
I learned yesterday, that the Buyer's Agent is not paid by the Seller in some areas.
I want to learn these things; one reason I'm on Trulia.
I try to be careful what I tell people.
I heard also that Texas does not do Lease/Option.
It gets interestinger and interestinger.
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Wed Apr 24, 2013
Typically, the seller pays the total commission involved in the transaction, including the buyer's and seller's. The standard fee for professional services is negotiable to the seller and usually is found in a range of from 5-7% of the sale price of the property total.

Hope this helps,