Does anyone know a Real Estate agent who does staging? I've looked at different profiles, but so far I

Asked by M, Bellevue, WA Tue Jun 3, 2008

have found only one. She stages homes and also uses a professional photographer. I really like that. Her listing pictures and marketing remarks are very good. I contacted her via her website on Friday and still haven't heard back from her. It's frustrating to say the least.

Since I don't know any agents in the area, I'm looking at different agents' online profiles. Frankly I'm surprised at the poor quality of some of the pictures on their listings. It's almost as if the listing agents didn't care.

Answers

41
S, , 98072
Wed Jun 4, 2008
Truth be told, I'd actually choose an agent who DOESN'T do the staging and DOESN'T take the photographs. I hire a professional stager and a professional photographer for my listings (except in a recent case where the client said "no" to both!).

Seriously, should an agent be an expert at the contracts, negotiating, marketing, staging, photographing, etc., etc.? It is a unique agent who is truly competent in all areas and an even more unique person to admit that they are, in fact, not expert in all areas and, therefore, hire other professionals.

Go with the agent who says: 'I focus on marketing, contracts, negotiating and honing my pricing skills and hire people who make staging and photography their livelihood."
Ardell Della…, Agent, Kirkland, WA
Tue Jun 3, 2008
Having read the comments, I should have noted that I am an Accredited Staging Professional Agent. But I find that while the course and training was great, if you don't have an eye for it, the class likely wouldn't have helped you much.

I rarely hire a profoessional photographer, and when I do I won't let them take wide angle shots unless absolutely necessary. They may look good, but often the prospective buyer feels "duped" into thinking the place is bigger than it is. That can backfire when it comes to an offer, even if it does get you more showings.

For me, the integrity of the photos looking more like reality is important. Exception for me as to professional photographer is a view property. Getting the view to appear in the window is not an easy process due to the dramatic light changes between inside and outside. If view is a key selling feature; a professional photographer is a must.
Mary Sunde, Agent, Bellevue, WA
Tue Jun 3, 2008
I used to do my own staging but found that I needed the expertise of a professional. I am happy
to give you the name of the stager that I use. For my listings the cost is paid for by me but that
is my personal marketing program. Maybe the agent you contacted did not get the e-mail from
her website. My e-mail is msunde@windermere.com or cell 206-227-1915 for the name of
the stager I use and I think she is great.
Mary
Zhengzheng W…, Home Buyer, Fort Mill, SC
Mon Aug 8, 2016
I am an agent in Charlotte, NC who stages all my clients' listings before I put them on the market. I also hire professional photographers to take the best photos possible to make my listings stand out from competition. I am a firm believer that we only get one chance to make the first impression! Staging is so critical for maximizing my seller's return on investment even though it's time and money consuming to me. Are you still looking for an agent in your area? If so, please let me know. I will be happy to point you to the right direction. If you can email me some pictures of your house, I can give you some suggestions on staging. Contact me at: zwiley@kw.com or 704.412.3059.
Pure Real Es…, Agent, Bellevue, WA
Thu Sep 11, 2014
I am happy to get your home staged and assist with whatever contacts you might need.

Sorry for your frustration.
Bobby Wright, Agent, Kirkland, WA
Mon Sep 8, 2014
I work with an amazing stager. Let me know if you need her contact info.
Leslie Gould…, Agent, Kirkland, WA
Mon Jul 14, 2014
Hello! I actually have a professional stager, landscaper and photographer I have worked with for years. It makes all the difference when preparing to sell you home. Call me -happy to help! 425-503-8862
Kathy Day, Home Buyer, Bellevue, WA
Tue May 6, 2014
Amy Dedoyard at Windemere is a staging genius. She has sold several houses for me over the years and I have bought through her also. I feel she is the best of the best on the east side.

Kathy Day
Caroline York, Agent, St Petersburg, FL
Fri Aug 3, 2012
That was a 100% effort. Sorry
Caroline York, Agent, St Petersburg, FL
Fri Aug 3, 2012
You may want to consider a home stager that is not a Realtor. They have many resources available and it is a 199% effort just as being a realtor requires 100% effort to do our job. You will get better results and often the realtor and home stager can work together to save. Money.
Realtymarket…, , Vista, CA
Fri Aug 3, 2012
I know a real estate Broker who offers free Home Staging
Debbie Avey with Staged Homes Real Estate
http://www.StagedHomesRealEstate.com
Their before and afters are amazing! Check it out: http://www.stagedhomesrealestate.com/-remodeled-c20029.html
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Thu Oct 15, 2009
By now, most residential real estate agents who specialize in marketing to homeowners utilize professional stagers. A few agents have their own staging companies, many more are "Accredited Staging Professionals," a designation requiring a course in residential staging.
The reason you may not be finding this in the profiles is that agents offering staging services has become so common as to not be remarkable.
Mary Sunde, Agent, Bellevue, WA
Tue Oct 13, 2009
M
I have a professional stager stage all of my listings and a professional photographer take the photos. I also provide many of the staging items to showcase my listings including pillows, throws, books, original artwork and kitchen/dining room items. I would be happy to dicusss my listing program with you.
Mary 206-227-1915, msunde@windermere.com
Cheryl Nitzs…, , Bellevue, WA
Tue Oct 13, 2009
Please go to http://vignettesstaging.web.officelive.com.
Both Dianne Griffith and I have over 25 years each sucessfully listing and selling homes and have been recognized as top producing agents. Several years ago other agents started asking us if we would stage their listings since they were impressed with how great our listings looked and how quickly they sold. We then established Vignettes, The Staging Company. With our experience as sucessful listing agents we stage homes to help facilitate the sale and to make the showing agents job easier. Please contact us and we would be delighted to help you get your home sold.
Barbara Mcma…, , Seattle, WA
Thu Aug 28, 2008
You may wish to contact a local furniture rental company-you can do it yourself. Often, agents do not pay for staging, they just hire the person or company that does the work. Best to find an agent that you like-qualified to sell homes in your area. Then, figure out how you are going to do the staging. It is all part of the marketing plan with your agent.
Alicia Reid, Agent, Redmond, WA
Wed Aug 27, 2008
Hi M,

Your comment that you were attempting to contact the agent through her website to no avail was haunting. If she is a Coldwell Banker Bain agent, please be patient with her. Our website is being "upgraded" this week and there have been many bugs to work out.

I had a call Monday from a buyer for one of my listings who indicated that she had trouble emailing me through the site. We agents have been forwarding our issues to the tech department and they are making headway. You might try calling the agent instead of just relying on the web.

It's not really excusable in my opinion, but it may not be the agent's fault that her site is not forwarding email because it may be her company that runs the site. Just a thought.

I do offer professional staging from a stager that I have used for years for all of my listings. She stages using principals of Feng Shui. My photos are all shot by professional architectural photographers. Every home gets the full benefit of my expertise as an Accredited Luxury Home Specialist. You may view my current and sold listings on my site below, and I will enjoy assisting you in any way that I may!

Alicia
Web Reference:  http://www.aliciareid.com/
Vera Brodsky, Agent, Bellevue, WA
Wed Aug 27, 2008
please see my listing at http://www.12505NE3rdPl.com. I stage every listing and use professional photographer.
If you would like more info about my services, please email me.
Thank you.
Web Reference:  http://www.12505NE3rdPl.com
Judith Brick…, Agent, Danville, CA
Wed Aug 27, 2008
Hi M,
First of all it is summer and she could be on vacation and not have e-mail etc. accessible. Second, I am a Realtor who has completed a staging program and am a ASP. However, I never stage my listings. I have been working with a stager for over six years and always use her. I also use a professional photographer for all my listings, even though I have a digital camera and take great photos. But I am a professional and you are hiring a professional. That is what sets our listings apart. I agree that there are very poor quality photos on line and that is why I spend the money for a pro. My sellers really appreciate this. I'm sure that there are other agents who use stagers in your area.

Your home is one of your biggest financial investments. Choose wisely who you are going to have market it. Try contacting her again, or call her office and find out why you are not getting a response.

J R, , New York, NY
Wed Aug 27, 2008
I have a stager I work with if necessary, but with a cooperative seller I can do well myself. Sometimes sellers get their backs up just when I mention simply decluttering.
Patrick Beri…, Agent, Seattle, WA
Wed Aug 27, 2008
While I appreciate that you are looking for a good stager--I would suggest it's more important to find someone who can sell your house. Make sure you take a look at the recent transaction history of any agent you're considering.
Vera Brodsky, Agent, Bellevue, WA
Mon Jun 30, 2008
M
I am not a professional stager, but I use one for my listings. I also reimburse my clients at the end of the transaction for all or portion of the staging cost (depending on the situation). I also use a professional photographer for free. And I have many unique marketing skills.
Let me know if you would like more info.
Vera

206 412 7792
Web Reference:  http://www.verabrodsky.com
Alicia Reid, Agent, Redmond, WA
Fri Jun 27, 2008
Hi there,
I stage every listing, as much as sellers will allow. And I engage the services of an architectural photographer for all of my listings. Please visit my website and see if you like how I present these properties. It also shows a list of my recently sold properties!
Thank you!
Alicia Reid
Coldwell Banker Bain
425-466-0203
Web Reference:  http://www.AReasonToMove.com
Julianna Hind, , Maple Valley, WA
Thu Jun 26, 2008
There are a few agents who also stage. I believe there will be more and more, in fact, I am a stager, who recently became a licensed Real Estate Agent, because there were so many people selling their homes, who apparently were not offerred stagin services, and it shows in the online marketing of their home.

Because over 85% of people beging their search online, it is crucial to have the home looking perfect, and the pictures looking amazing.

As far as finding a good stager, it is a matter of portfolio. I have redone ASP stagings that were not done right. I have been amazed at the beauty of others. There are other credentials for staging, IRIS, CSP, RESA... but it all comes down to portfolio and references in the end.
Web Reference:  http://www.juliannahind.com
Hal and Jeff…, Agent, Seattle, WA
Tue Jun 10, 2008
We do provide the staging, do the work to stage an unstage once sold absolutely complimentary as part of our full service listing package. On top of that, we hire a professional photographer once stage to take the photos for the listing which makes an incredible difference. Some seller's go out and hire a staging company which can run in the thousands of dollars. If you are selling a multimillion dollar home, this makes sense I guess. Staging and professionally done photographs are probably two of the most critical aspects of marketing your property and making it stand out in this market where listings do not just sell effortlessly. Jeff & Hal
Lydia Treadw…, Agent, San Rafael, CA
Tue Jun 10, 2008
Home Staging is very important in this area of Northern California. I have a good background in this having studied Design and Art and accomplished Interior Design projects. I use a professional Home Staging group in Marin County and work closely with them in all aspects of the arrangement of furniture and accessories to give the home an open and bright feeling. It is really fun to see a home become very attractive with just a few changes. A home I have recently listed is a good case in point. The owners decided to move to their summer home permanently and moved all their belongings. This left a bare stage for us to work with and we began by painting all rooms with carefully chosen colors and refinishing the floors. New decks were built. The Stagers came with me on a tour of the home and we selected the "look" we thought would be best this style of home including art pieces. Of course this is on a budget and the Seller made the final selections. Homes are not moving quickly and so it is expected that three months may be our time frame for the Staging contract with an option to continue.
We have had lots of favorable comments on the Staging from Buyers and Agents. It will certainly help sell this beautiful home at a good price. Come and visit us in San Rafael, CA. This home has five bedrooms and 3.5 baths, a large family room, formal dining room vaulted ceilings, views of the Bay and a large level lower yard. Price $1,399,000. A good bargain for this neighborhood. Take a look at the photos on our website http://www.HomesMarin.com and also view photos of other interiors.
I do hope you will find a Real Estate Consultant with design experience or at least the good sense to refer you to a professional Stager with a good catalog of successful projects to display. I wish you the best on your home sale!
Lydia Treadway, M.F.A.
Real Estate Consultant, Pacific Union Real Estate Group
Marin County California
Web Reference:  http://www.HomesMarin.com/
barbara mcma…, Agent, Everett, WA
Tue Jun 10, 2008
Some of us have become Accredited Home Staging Professionals. This is an additional service we offer to our clients to help sell their homes for more $$ and more quickly. With respect to the quality of the pictures, Realtors all run their own businesses. Some have more $$ to spend on a listing than others. some Realtors take their own pictures-and are not good photographers. i would probably not recommend someone that hasn't returned a call by now - a call should be returned very quickly - at least in 24 hours. Also, if your Realtor doesn't work weekend you may have a difficult time selling your home. The internet is a good place to look; however you should interview 3 professionals and ask they questions about their marketing plans, staging abilities, money that they will spend on your listing, landscaping plans, etc.

Barbara McMahon, AHS
Associate Broker
John L. Scott
425 218 0707
Patrick Beri…, Agent, Seattle, WA
Sat Jun 7, 2008
That's a really good question--But I'd start by writing off this agent. She might be a great stager but ignored you for at least 4 days? What if you listed your house with her and the call she ignored came from a buyer?

Staging and photography can be integral to presenting a home in a good light, but they are only 2 components involved in the process. Make sure you work with someone who's experienced in marketing and negotiation--And who returns calls.
Karen Richmo…, Agent, Centreville, VA
Wed Jun 4, 2008
Go to StagedHomes.com to find an Accredited Home Stager. Here you can find a stager who stages as a professional in your area. Also listed on the website are real estate agents that have staging certificates and offer the service to their clients free of charge.
Web Reference:  http://www.stagedhomes.com
Rhona Feldman, Agent, seattle, WA
Tue Jun 3, 2008
I am a real estate agent in Seattle and I do staging. I do what I call "light staging" with my client's furnishings, if possible, mixed with some of my own touches. I have a listing on Trulia at 6840 44th Ave NE in View Ridge that has my staging in it. You won't find heavy furniture, but a few carefully placed items to make the home look inviting.

You can contact me at rfeldman@windermere.com if you have any questions. I will respond to your email.
Don Dutton, Agent, Puyallup, WA
Tue Jun 3, 2008
An absolute master is Wendy Lister, Coldwell Banker Bain/Bellevue office. She also happens to be the top agent in the company. If you'd like a lower profile agent, contact Vicky Warnock who is at their Kent location. She is also exceptional and offers this service aside from a listing agreement. You can get their contact info at http://www.cbbain.com. Good luck
Kirsten Mohan, , Bellevue, WA
Tue Jun 3, 2008
M,
If staging and photography are what's important to you, please visit my website below. I provide staging services to all of my clients, regardless of the price range. Whether it's bringing in a few floral arrangements, helping to clear away clutter, and slipcovering existing furniture; or bringing in pieces of my own to fill a vacant home, I do whatever is necessary to make a home look its best on the market.
I then bring in one of Seattle's premiere architectural photographers to take the photos. He uses a full lighting setup, and has the skills and the experience to get wide-angle shots that realistically and beautifully showcase the home. My fliers are professionally designed, and my print media is always top quality.
Marketing is so important in this market more than ever. I truly believe that if you're paying a full-fee, your agent should truly be "full service," and give you all the best marketing possible to give your home the greatest competitive advantage in the market.

I'd love to send you my portfolio if you're interested in knowing more.

Kirsten Mohan
Real Estate Marketing Specialist
John L. Scott Real Estate
3801 150th Ave SE
Bellevue WA 98006

206.714.9955
Web Reference:  http://www.kirstenmohan.com
Ardell Della…, Agent, Kirkland, WA
Tue Jun 3, 2008
We often read that staging helps to sell a property more quickly. Sometimes I think the monthly rental cost helps the seller price well and make changes to price as needed. When they get that monthly staging rental bill, they think harder about why they are not getting an offer, and weigh the costs of carrying the property on market vs. getting real about pricing.

Getting staging for "free" from the agent doesn't offer the same incentive since the seller doesn't have to pay for staging at all. Might that reduce its effectiveness?
Anni Zilz, Agent, Mercer Island, WA
Tue Jun 3, 2008
A good full service agent will either do the staging or hire a professional stager depending on the list price of the home and the budget. I do both and I always use a professional photographer regardless of the list price. Let me know if you want specific information and we can establish a plan for your listing.
Web Reference:  http://www.annizilz.com
Mark Despain, Agent, Seattle, WA
Tue Jun 3, 2008
Some great responses here. In my experience there are very few agents that are as competent as the professionals at either staging or photography. But there are exceptions and I'm sure that some of my colleagues here are among them.

Also, some of the most competent agents I know work by referral and are not necessarily well-represented by their online presence.

That said, one agent that I know that is an excellent advocate for his clients and at doing his own staging is Hal Rappaport, 206-986-2657, his website, http://www.halandjeffhomes.com/

Best of luck M.
Web Reference:  http://www.homehounds.com
Chuck Sparks, Agent, Bellevue, WA
Tue Jun 3, 2008
Dear M,
Staging your home can make a huge difference to the impression you give buyers. As with curb appeal, staging maximizes your home qualities and adds charm. However much can be done with what is already available within the home with just a few suggestions from an objective, critical eye. Many realtors have developed a "trained eye" due to the vast number of homes they have previewed with clients. Also many agents rely on the help of a professional stager and photographer who supplies everything needed for a price.
From what you have said in your question it appears that you have already made up your mind that these are services you want. So when contacting agents ask them directly how they deal with photography and staging. If you like what you hear ask for examples of their work for comparison.

Keller Williams Rlty Bellevue
505 106th Ave NE Ste 210
Bellevue, WA 98004
Primary: 206-719-5061 Secondary: 425-454-0911
chucksparks@kw.com
Web Reference:  http://csparksforhomes.com
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Tue Jun 3, 2008
A good real estate agent will acknowledge his/her shortcomings or weaknesses, and find professionals to assist them where necessary. That's true of both staging and photography. Yes, some agents may be good at staging. And you certainly can be an excellent stager without being "accredited," though you do need the knowledge and experience. Similarly with photography, some agents understand photography. Many don't. What you want is a skilled real estate agent who either (1) is highly proficient at staging and photography (finding all three is possibly, but rare), or (2) knows and works with professional stagers and photographers.

So, rather than looking for all three in one person, look for all three in one package. Check online listings, for instance. Are the rooms nicely staged (and are there before and after shots?), and are the photographs professionally done? (One tip, though: Some organizations that accredit stagers have some stock photos that any of their accredited stagers may use, so you might see the same "before and after" shots on multiple websites. So be sure to ask the agent and stager whether the photos are of their actual, personal clients.)

Web Reference:  http://www.vahomestaging.com
Keith Zeiler, , Issaquah, WA
Tue Jun 3, 2008
We provide staging as one of the services that we provide as an agent. This is no extra cost to you. We have a garage full of staging furniture that we use to stage homes. It is very important to have a well presented home and we feel that if it is staged correctly and you have professional photos. That will get more people out to look at the property in return it sells quicker.

You can check out our website at http://www.tk2homes.com. The listing that we have in Redmond is one of the homes that we currently just put on the market that we staged. Here is the virtual tour of that home.
http://www.tk2homes.com/frame.shtml?http://www.go2virtual.co…

Again the staging is part of our service and is no extra charge to our clients.

Cheers.
Keith Zeiler
206-354-7394
Web Reference:  http://www.tk2homes.com
Courtney Coo…, Agent, Seattle, WA
Tue Jun 3, 2008
Like ARDELL below, I do light spot Staging, but I am not accredited as a Staging professional. I do know an agent who is an Accredited Staging Professional and also brings in a professional photographer complete with external flashes and all. I can hire these things out, but do not have the ASP designation. Please let me know if you would like her contact info.

Bryan R. Lov…, , Lynnwood, WA
Tue Jun 3, 2008
You ask a very critical question that I fear often times is overlooked. Both staging and photos are very critical to the success of getting showings into a home. While I would never claim to be a professional stager, I can certainly claim a level of professional photography. When I am working with a client that needs staging, I will almost always refer that task out to a professional that knows how to do it right. Most agents, who have been in the business for a time, will at least know of someone who does this type of service.

As for photography, I have been asked by many agents to take photographs and design fliers for their listings. As with most agents you will find their true value is far beyond just being able to stage a home and take photos. Take into account their knowledge, their network with other agents, timeliness, accuracy, and response. In our industry, I believe agents usually lack the greatest in communication. If someone doesn’t respond in the first day they are likely going to be the same way through the entire process.

When you get to a point of really wanting an agent, contact those you are comfortable with and interview them. When interviewing, how timely are they, do they do what they say? Are they prepared when they come? Do they place a price before they know the house?

Weather you call on me or some other agent, make sure you are comfortable with them. You will likely work with this agent for a minimum of 3 months. There is so much to take into account when doing your search; I hope this has helped in some way.

Best Wishes,
Bryan Lovell
James Hsu, Agent, Bothell, WA
Tue Jun 3, 2008
Online photos are..in my opinion..the most crucial aspect of marketing real estate in this age of technology. Photos are now the first impression someone will get of the house so they HAVE to be awesome. I've referenced one of my listings here and I'd love your opinion on the photos.

Staging....I personally don't know many agents that can legitimately claim they are professional stagers. Staging is needed on a case by case scenario and how much staging is also a case by case. Vacant homes could use a lot more than an occupied home. I've got a few cards of some stagers I've worked with if you're interested.
Ardell Della…, Agent, Kirkland, WA
Tue Jun 3, 2008
I do Staging, but it's not the same as getting a professional stager, and I can do it better if the home is occupied and furnished and I can "redo" their furnishings by moving and adding things.

When I stage a vacant I do "vignettes" or light staging.

Condos and townhomes are pretty easy. Furnished homes don't take long. Sometimes the owner can rent a few things from Cort Furniture in Redmond, if they need to and we can work with that. I include the staging in my listing price.

Don't be afraid to try it yourself. A one hour trip to Cost Plus World Market, Pier 1 and Aaron Brothers goes a long way, but don't be surprised if you have 70% of what you need right in your home. Sometimes the best stuff is hiding in your closets and cabinets.

Here's a before and after shot of a room where I brought nothing in and simply rearranged what was already there.

http://www.activerain.com/blogsview/230000/Staging-a-Townhome-for