Does any realtor have any unique marketing strategies?

Asked by Juliatrulia, 78749 Tue Nov 23, 2010

They all seem to be the same - postcards, websites, newspaper ads. Anyone do something different? And don't tell me price - a low price is not marketing. How else do I make my house more attractive to buyers?

Answers

72
Dp2’s answer
Dp2, , Virginia
Tue Nov 23, 2010
No amount of the marketing polish will overcome ridiculous or stratospheric pricing. Stated another way, trying to market one's property with a price that's too high is like sending one's batter to the plate in a pair of skis with a golf club: although that spectacle might be entertaining to watch, s/he probably won't score any points that way.

If your goal is to do more marketing simply to do more stuff, then knock yourself out. However, if your goal is to sell your property, then you might want to consider some other options.
This response wasn't thoughtful, helpful, nor germane to the question which specifically asked about marketing strategies aside from pricing. Ironic coming from someone who is using an Apple logo as their icon. With that thinking, Apple (and other market leaders) should just list their products for sale at incredibly low prices, scrap their extensive marketing budget, and simply let the market come to them. Great marketing works, as clearly evidenced in all forms of business including real estate.
Flag Sat Jul 29, 2017
Ed Barski, Agent, Cherry Hill, NJ
Tue Nov 30, 2010
Julia,

Old Stuff:
1. Open Houses (tough because most guests have followed a road sign and know nothing about the property, but are likely to turn into a lead for your agent)
2. Newspapers (what's that?, does anyone even read these anymore?)
3. Print mail ( expensive and consistently is returning less than half a percent return)
4. Post cards (same as print mail)
5. Glossy color mags (these are the worst, huge expense, minimal return and exposure)

The NEW way
1. Blogging - (writing and syndicating blogs about unique features of the house or the location/town it is in)
2. Social networking - (displaying listings to friends in a viral fashion)
3. YouTube - turning pictures into virtual tours, youtube is the next biggest search engine to google
4. SEO (creating a website for your house and optimizing so search engines pick it up for key word searches)
5. Google Adwords (this is my favorite $$$ spent, search for homes for sale 78749 and I pay the most your home shows up first
6. Neighbor calling (yeah, your agent has to pick up the phone, call the neighbors around your house and ask "Do you know of anyone thinking of moving to the neighborhood?"
7. Premium placement on Realtor.com/Trulia.com/Zillow.com (paying to be at the front of the search)

Let's face it, 100% of buyers start on the internet, so if your agent's marketing plan doesn't involve all aspects you are missing out. The old stuff is on it's way out!

-Ed
P.S. I'm not an agent in your area but with find yourself a new, young, tech savvy agent that can do all these things for you :)
Excellent response, unlike Dp2's below. I am guessing you sell (not just list) many homes!
Flag Sat Jul 29, 2017
That was a great reply to their question. Good job!
Flag Sat Jun 6, 2015
Phillip Baird, Agent, Austin, TX
Sat Dec 11, 2010
You are correct. Most of us agents have similar marketing strategies because they work. However, as a home seller there are many things you can do to make your house more attractive. Clean up the clutter. Rent a storage space and empty your house of everything that is not necessary for your daily living. Paint any walls ceilings that are worn and/or dingy with a fresh coat of white or a soft earth toned color. Clean the house thoroughly. Clean up the yard, maybe even plant a few new bushes or plants to enhance the landscape. Replace switch covers and outlet covers with brand new ones. These are very inexpensive and make a huge difference in the appearance of the house, especially if you paint the walls. Have the carpets cleaned. All of these ideas are very inexpensive and will make your house stand out from the average run of the mill home. Email me if you have any questions. I would love to come out and give you some ideas. No cost or strings attached. I promise I won't even ask you for the listing. Good luck.
Phillip
Beach Bum In…, Other Pro, St Petersburg, FL
Thu May 21, 2015
Increase your sales price by $6,000 and include a new car (3 year lease) as a bonus for buying. Team up with a local car dealership and do some joint marketing (just thinking out of the box)

How about the same scenario but with brand new furniture and team up with a local furniture store?

Free Lawn Service for 5 years?

Just some thoughts...
Rob Graham, Agent, Seattle, WA
Wed Dec 8, 2010
Pricing and a strong internet presence are the only two things that I see as a significant point of difference. 90+% of buyers start their search on line and everyone is looking for a bargain right now. Without those two elements you are sunk.

There are a lot of kitchy marketing things that some agents do to dazzle sellers. Nearly all of them don't work. They just impress sellers so that the agents get the listing.

Price and Internet. The only two that matter.
Joan Braunsc…, , Morris County, NJ
Wed Nov 24, 2010
You know that expression: you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink?

All the marketing in the world won't do a darn thing to sell your property, even if it brings them to your door. Its pricing and how well your property presents itself, especially in relation to the comparables that entices buyers to want to buy.
Hmmm, yet again another response that didn't answer the question. Good agents don't simply list a home (anyone can do that) and use pricing as their only strategy. Once an agent agrees to a listing price, their job is to develop a sales strategy and SELL the property, which absolutely incorporates marketing strategies. Interestingly in your neck of the woods, top agents employ creative marketing strategies all the time. All agents should aspire to be Frederic on Million Dollar Listing New York. Those agents actually work to sell a property, which is likely why they are TOP agents.
Flag Sat Jul 29, 2017
Gregorio Den…, , San Diego, CA
Mon Aug 1, 2011
I personally like the post on Trulia 5000 times saying the same answer with 6 lines of signature strategy.

No names.
Dan Smith, , 73170
Sun Jan 23, 2011
I have been using Text message marketing for about 4 months now with great success. I get on average 20 to 50 new leads per month per house. If someone is in front of my listed home they will see the sign rider that says for price and pictures Text: The Keyword You Will Set To: 69302 and then it instantly sends that information back to their cell phone.

Whats even better I can set it to automatically send me a text message with that persons phone number and the house that the info was requested on. If I have an open house, I can go to my online account or from my phone and send a text message to anyone that requested the info for that particular home, so I get a big response on that.

If the price drops I can also send that info instantly. I no longer have to print and refill flyers its all digital for me now. I can put my keyword info in any print advertising I do for more leads
I recommended this to everyone

I Currently use http://www.textrock.com and it cost me 99 per month, with that I get 20 keywords and 500 free text messages per month and 10 free sign riders. This is the best deal I could find for that many keywords, everywhere else wanted 10 to 25 extra per keyword.
The service paid for its self 50 times over the first month.

I hope this helps you as it has me.

Dan Smith
Web Reference:  http://www.textrock.com
Kevin Olson,…, Agent, Colorado Springs, CO
Sun Nov 28, 2010
Julia,

This is where most sellers hit the wall when selling their home. There are things certain Realtors can do successfully (because we have college degrees and unique backgrounds that set us apart) that many others cannot. I know there are several who will disagree with me right away, and this is not mean as an insult.

One of the reasons the techniques we use make us so successful is because we brand them and do not share them. Yes, sellers for the most part are aware of what we do when we list a home, however the means to which we achieve the desired results is kept secret. It's similar to baking a pie, we'll give them the list of ingredients we use, but not the amount used or "added when" to achieve the desired result.

The flip side to this that most sellers don't realize that when you actually find a Realtor with these techniques that they are more than worth what the commission cost is. We can sit down with some of the most anti-commission people and within 25 minutes they completely see and understand the value we bring to the table as a Real Estate Team vs the others.

You as a seller must realize that in the current market you are in a price war and beauty contest. If you aren't willing to go to war nothing else matters because you will lose. All the marketing and unique techniques won't make a difference if your price isn't in line.

Are you willing to pay a higher price for a vehicle because it has been marketed better or in a unique way? No, you're not, because you will be educated on what the car is worth and you know what you are willing to pay. You are an educated buyer just like the buyers in the housing market today.

We do several things differently, but you have to pay for our services in order to get these techniques benefiting you. We paid to learn how to think outside the box, and we let clients both past and current speak for the results of our efforts.

This isn't an effort to gain you business, but an effort to shed light on some very important things that you need to consider. Realtors that have something unique are usually the ones who won't budge on their commission because they know what they are worth, and they often will not take overpriced listings because they know they are not miracle workers. Finding Realtors with these techniques is somewhat hard because they typically are busy enough to not have to work to generate business... it comes to them.
Interesting post, I would have loved to check our your website, but the link is bad.
Flag Sat Mar 26, 2016
Betina Forem…, Agent, Austin, TX
Wed Nov 24, 2010
Dear Julia Trulia,
I have to state the obvious. If a Realor has unique marketing strategies and they post them on the internet then everyone will start doing that and it is no longer unique.
Cheers,
Betina
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Wed Nov 24, 2010
Juliatrulia,

Let's not make this any more difficult than it needs to be......selling anything, is all about visibility. You could sell an Eskimo a bag of ice, if enough Eskimos knew about the opportunity the ice represented.

The best marketing strategy is the one that reaches the most people with the right message and creates interest. One thing is for certain...PRICE is the most important marketing feature and the very first aspect considered by buyers.
Dan Tabit, Agent, Issaquah, WA
Tue Nov 23, 2010
Julia,
Put yourself in buyer’s shoes. If you were a buyer would you be impressed with a post card, a 2 page double sided flyer, a unique website or a blog piece about the home? If you looked at two similar homes and one did virtual tours with beautiful music and dancers and the other was $25,000 less, which would you pick?
There are lots of tools we use to build interest in a home, but when a buyer looks at two similar homes and they both may be worth the price of the most expensive one but one is priced for less, most buyers will make an offer on the less expensive home.
Price is marketing, but not just pricing low, pricing in relation to sold comps to establish the value and in relation to active competition to get the buyers.
You need to be the best marketed, best staged, best looking home in the price range if you want to be successful. I hope things go well for you.
There are 4 P's in marketing, of which price is one, which relates to value. It's a noun and not active, whereas promotion and placement are active strategies, requiring action. A selling agent's job is to help find the right buyers with the right messaging, highlighting the home's features and value. Too many rely simply on listing and price, which is frankly a lazy strategy.
Flag Sat Jul 29, 2017
Grobconnolly, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Fri Sep 9, 2016
A great way to leverage your listings using a unique marketing strategy is http://www.Buzz4Agent.com

They connect you directly with people who are interested in your listings. You will be blown away by the response you get on your listings.
Michellesale…, Home Buyer, Austin, TX
Fri Aug 12, 2016
Have you tried Text Message Marketing. It's something you can include on all your ads, brochures and sign riders. Prospective buyers simply text the keyword for that property to your 5 digit code and instantly receive information about that property. You as the Realtor instantly receive a message alerting you that someone from this phone number has requested information on that property. Give them a call.

If you don't have the time to learn a new system and implement a new marketing strategy, try a company that offers managed text marketing services like conversionsms dot com

Text Marketing isn't only sending out info to prospective buyers, although that is a powerful feature. When used correctly it can be an impressive listing tool; it can integrate with your email and social media campaigns, help you gauge the effectiveness of your print and online marketing and so much more.
Michellesale…, Home Buyer, Austin, TX
Fri Aug 12, 2016

Jackiebyrd00, Home Buyer, Kennesaw, GA
Thu Jul 21, 2016
I am a buyer and I can tell you what has been important to me.
1. Great photos online. Online photos is an incredible, cheap, way to market anything. I can't believe the quality of lots of the photo (never take them with a cell phone!), out of focus, don't relate to the previous and next photo, too few, too dark, etc. Good photos will cut down on the Looky Lous and give you Serious Suzy because they'll understand the property better before requesting a walk-thru.
2. Don't ignore or try to hide the weak issues: trees leaning on house that needs to be cut down, a drainage issue in the yard, a blue tarp on the roof because there's a leak, moldy bathrooms, etc. No place is perfect, don't try to make like it is.
3. Try to curb all of the "sells speak", well, okay, at least try to curb most of it. "Move In Ready" when the whole thing needs new paint and carpet. "Motivated Seller" when an inspection report has not been obtained which shows numerous issues and the price doesn't reflex them.
4. Make sure the seller REALLY wants to sell, meaning she/he/they are ready to hear what the inspection report finds and is willing to do something about the issues found: lack of insulation in attic, A/C needs to be replaced, roof won't last another year.
5. Give clear, detailed descriptions of the property including square footage (I'm amazed at how many houses are listed without this critical piece of information). And post the annual property tax -- it helps when the buyer wants to run mortgage calculations. If there are tenants renting it, or if there's any sort of closing restrictions.
Don, Home Buyer, Austin, TX
Thu Mar 31, 2016
There are many things you can do to help sell your house in a down market.
(1) if you can, offer seller financing with a balloon payment.
(2) Assist the buyer with points credit at closing but get a price to offset the points. The buyer does not have to come up with so much to close.
(3) Lease purchase
(4) Making sure you get your house on first page Google for the address (easy one)
(5) spruce it up
(6) remove the clutter

There are many more but why should I give you free information? I am a very good realtor. You are entering a buyers market and you need help.
Moniel, Agent, Nashville, TN
Sat Mar 19, 2016
It's not a unique marketing strategy, but it's one that works: SEO for your website. Ranking in the top of google searches with your website WILL get you leads, and a LOT of them. More and more people, as the demographics get younger, are finding their agents online. If you're not pushing your online efforts, you're gonna get left behind: and fast.
CEO SmartGuy…, Other Pro, Encino, CA
Sat Mar 19, 2016
The answer is to include 800 and SMS technology into your listing marketing efforts (sign riders, flyers, newspaper/magazine ads, etc.) - Check out why most top agents use it - http://www.SmartGuy800.com

It is EASY to use it to convert FSBO's and Expired's into your own listings.
Alice Smith, , California City, CA
Fri Feb 26, 2016
Here is my marketing plan when I choose to take on a new listing.

1. Visit the website, talk with immediate neighbors
2. Prepare marketing materials
3. Add marketing materials on property sites
4. Call users and brokers who run in the size range
5. Visit neighboring properties in an expanding spiral
Lisa Kulback, Agent, Summit, NJ
Tue Jan 19, 2016
"Pretty Sells" Staging has become very important. The old phrase "buyers buy with their eyes" could not be more true! All buyers and sellers start their search on the internet. You first must clear the clutter and remember less is more. Your pictures need to want to make buyers get dressed and come see your home. I recently virtually staged 2 homes that had been on the market 4-6 months the next weeks open house had 16-18 visitors and several realtor showings. As for advertising, internet, social media, open houses and mailings. You only need 1 buyers and buyers come from all these sources.
Estradacorp, Home Buyer, Austin, TX
Wed Oct 21, 2015
Good Evening My name is Henry Estrada
i have a special way to market properties let me show you how
NEW WAYS ..

- ESTRADACORP@GMAIL.COM
OR CALL ME 516 204 2532
Mike Linkena…, Agent, Jacksonville, FL
Tue Jun 30, 2015
Rebates on new construction work great. When buying a new construction home, many agents give buyer rebates. If you do not use an agent, this money just goes to the builder and goes down the drain! Check out http://www.cashbackflorida.com. Get a 1% rebate on any new construction home in the state of Florida.
Lauren Cody, Agent, LaGrange, IL
Sun Mar 22, 2015
Put in simple terms - these are the most important factors in selling your home:

Condition - homes that show well, sell quicker and for more money than those that look tired, dirty etc - actually a no brainer. Staging is key.

Access - Let people in your house! I don't understand sellers that restrict showing times -no Sundays, not after 5:00 PM, and on and on. If you want to sell your home, people need to view it on their terms, not necessarily yours, and you will be inconvenienced.

Price - Most important factor. Take the sold comps used to determine price seriously, as they are set in reality. Buyers determine the value of the market, not sellers. I think overpricing is the #1 reason homes don't sell.

Exposure - Marketing, marketing, marketing and internet visibility is the most important.
Ryan Hunt, Home Buyer, Fort Irwin, CA
Sun Mar 8, 2015
Greetings all,

10th Mountain Group takes a caring, smart, and human approach to our social media strategy. We follow a deliberate approach to ensure that our client generate excitement for their pages and create synergistic opportunities with dynamic results. Dynamic results include increased traffic and sales driven by our clients social media.

Our clients succeed through a deliberate campaign plan: (1) we take a multifunctional approach to your social media strategy, (2) listen, compare, and establish a baseline for our clients, (3) we establish your social media objectives, (4) we create success metric driven by our client's needs, (5) we analyze our clients, (6) we define your "one thing", (7) engagement and humanization, and lastly, (8) we define your channel plan.

E-mail our Social Media Strategist at marketing http://@www.tenthmountaingroup.com.

Come Like us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/10thMTNproperties and http://www.tenthmountaingroup.com/social-media-and-marketing-solutions.
Jim Morelli, Agent, Austin, TX
Mon Dec 22, 2014
Buyers are on the web plain and simple. An agent that can't show and prove a comprehensive web presence isn't going to be able to hack it. Let me know if you are interested in seeing my cutting edge marketing plan.
A lot of agents claim to but can't produce the proof!
Tyrone Bryant, Agent, MD,
Sat Dec 20, 2014
Yes my 89 point marketing plan for selling your home
Betina Forem…, Agent, Austin, TX
Thu Dec 8, 2011
Dear JuliaTrulia,
You could ask your agent to blog about it. According to NAR 92% of buyers start looking online before they drive through neighborhoods.Paper marketing is passe in my opinion, killing trees is not the PC choice. Find a hard working Realtor to help you and the house will sell. I wish you the best of luck!
Cheers,
Betina
Web Reference:  http://www.BetinaForeman.com
Michelle Gra…, Agent, Rockwall, TX
Thu Dec 8, 2011
Offer owner financing. Even if you have a non-assumable mortgage on it now, you can legitimately wrap that mortgage into a seller finance package, require a good downpayment that will pay your commission and closing costs and net you money over and above your motgage every month. Contracts for Deed are a great tool that are gaining popularity in today's market. They open up a whole new pool of buyers. Of course, you still have to be realistic on your asking price. Buyer's are very cautious these days. But with so many not being able to obtain financing right now, they are willing to look at these options.

Shawn Ryan R…, Agent, Belleville, NJ
Tue Dec 6, 2011
many realtors don't even have a strategy. they list a home for sale and then wait for someone else to sell. a good realtor should tailor his marketing strategies to the specific segment of buyers that may be most interested in the home
Dan, Home Buyer, Alabama
Mon Aug 1, 2011
Unless you come to live in the real world then you are doomed.

Price contains all the information required to make a purchase decision. If you think that you can sell a home by way of staging then you will sit on the market for years.

Stop deceiving yourselves(including ya realtors) drop the price until it sells or strategically default.

I have no empathy for delusional sellers...neither do most other well heeled cash buyers. We will out wait you high price sellers then we will buy after you foreclose for pennies.
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Mon Aug 1, 2011
It's only a year and a half later; I hope you've sold your house by now!
Shanan Sheph…, Agent, Austin, TX
Mon Aug 1, 2011
Basics are: (1) keep your property clean at all times, (2) make sure it is properly staged (you can get help with this if you need it...I do it for every seller I have), (3) make sure it is priced competitively and make sure when an agent has a buyer wanting to see your property, you are ready to let them show it! I've had sellers complain that they weren't getting offers, yet when we would try to schedule showings, they "weren't ready"! (4) Internet marketing works....Sites like Trulia are VERY popular with buyers! It takes the right combination of all these things to sell a home....if you aren't getting offers, check these things and make adjustments where you need to. Have faith, it will happen!
Cindy Crawfo…, , Round Rock, TX
Sat May 14, 2011
Hi Juliatrulia!
We all probably have the same access to all of those marketing tools - it's how your agent utilizes them that sets your property apart from the others. Of course price and staging are hugely important in this competitive market. THE MOST IMPORTANT marketing piece (in my opinion) is your agents willingness to network with other agents to get your home sold - not to the public! Another REALTOR (not the listing agent) is most likely going to sell your home. Agents in this market must keep an eye on the comps, preview property, proactively pursue those agents who have clients that are looking for YOUR property! Best of luck!
Cindy
> Cindy Crawford, Realtor®, PSC
> Keller Williams Realty-Williamson County Market Center
> 101 Old Settlers Blvd #190
> Round Rock, TX 78664
> (512)217-8990
> cindycrawford@kw.com
> http://www.CindyCrawfordHomes.com
Betina Forem…, Agent, Austin, TX
Tue Mar 8, 2011
Hasn't this topic been exhausted yet? It has been brought up multiple times in the last 6 months.
Perry Hender…, Agent, Austin, TX
Tue Mar 1, 2011
I love video marketing. It works. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFTRlp6CScE
Susan J Penn,…, Agent, Weston, FL
Sun Jan 23, 2011
A home seller needs to look at their home, does it need painting, is it cluttered,is there enough landscaping, has it been updated, are the windows clean, does it have curb appeal? A home seller needs to look at their price. Price is marketing! No matter how nice a home may seem, an overpriced home in this market is a waste of time for the seller and the buyer. Buyers are not interested in an overpriced home. Buyers are very sophicated today and they do their own research on home prices. Hopefully you have sat with your agent and looked at comparable homes and actually visited a few to see how your home will compare.

Marketing is postcards, photographs, signs, newpapers, multiple listing, open houses, flyers, web sites, and many other sites on the internet. This is how the buyer finds your home

Susan Penn, PA,SFR
2000 Main Street
Weston, Fl 33326
954-557-5993
Doug Rush, , 43942
Sun Jan 23, 2011
If you REALLY want to make it more attractive, have your client offer owner financing if possible. The house will sell itself after that.
Web Reference:  http://www.tkfunding.com
Stephanie K, Agent, San Antonio, TX
Wed Dec 8, 2010
Hi Julia,

I guess they all seem to be the same because that is the marketing that you are seeing and what is working.

If you are doing this yourself, you can glean pieces of information from the many answers you have already received. The postcards, websites, ads, etc are all part of a marketing package that most agents that serously do this as a business have set up as a system for every home they list.

Just google "marketing strategies for selling your house" . You should come up with a full list of things to do. You could use the same strategies that grocery stores or automotive dealerships do to get people in the door. Balloons, Ads, Cook Something, A dude on the street with a pointy sign, directing people to your house. You can watch HGTV and get tons of ideas on how to stage your house properly and give it more curb appeal.

Some agents still walk houses, some do open houses, some do lunches in the home. Some hire professional photographers, some ARE great photographers. Some spend a great deal of money on slick handouts and some print them on home computers.

Most FSBO's can't and don't have an ability to capitalize on a network and data base of buyers and sellers,and even very good agents. Most agents will keep a data base of prosepects, past buyers and sellers and agents with whom they have had a good selling experience. Those networks and data bases have usually been built and nurtured for years and should be a huge part of any marketing campaign.

Every agent is different and unless they are incredibly locked into their systems, probaby have some creative marketing ideas for you. Marketing and selling houses is what we do - lots of times every year. The agent's intellectual capital and their tried and proven marketing systems are what makes them worth their commission.
Lori Jeltema, Agent, Suffolk, VA
Wed Dec 8, 2010
Print ads, and most marketing sells the AGENT, not the home. Most buyers find homes on the internet or via a buyer's agent. Even if a buyer finds your home first while searching the web, they are most likely going to compare other homes to yours and/or have an agent do that for them. Your home can get all the immediate attention but when it comes to decision time - well, you don't want to be told that price is not marketing so I won't. You may have great marketing and your home may look awesome but you still have to compare it against the other homes in your price category.
Mudar Humaim…, Agent, NY,
Wed Dec 8, 2010
I agree with Doug. I will add that lowering a price is necessary when your property might be located in a less desirable neighborhood or there is ample supply driving prices lower. Marketing is a separate category than pricing and depending on where your property is located there might be different ways to market it. The agent you hire should know this & come up with a plan to target that market. For example: which employers exist in your area, hospitals..etc an agent should create promotional material targeting employees who might want to consider purchasing your property. This one of the ways & there are others.
<a href=
Gita Bantwal, Agent, Jamison, PA
Wed Dec 8, 2010
The agent's job is to market the property so that buyers will find out about it and want to go in and see the home. Most buyers start their search on the internet. The other agents have given you good tips.Good pictures and the right price will make buyers want to preview the home. Once they come in it depends on if the home has all the features they are looking for and it depends on the competition.
If homes are not selling in your area at all, it might be the economy.
Doug Vogelsa…, Agent, Austin, TX
Thu Dec 2, 2010
I guess I may as well be Answer #38.

There are two repeating themes in the preceding 37 posts that I can see:

1) Competitive pricing is VITAL if you want to get your home sold quickly.
2) The home MUST show well. This means it has got to be cleaned up, cleaned out and staged for showing (by you or a professional). Allow the buyers to see THEIR house and not YOUR stuff.

As the Higher Living Team said, "you are in a price war and beauty contest."

But here's the rub. According to American Marketing Association, "Marketing is the activity, set of institutions, and processes for creating, communicating… and exchanging offerings that have value." I just don't think that slapping a low price on a house and then spiffing up the joint truly qualifies as "marketing."

As someone YOU employ, your real estate agent should work for you, advising you on how to best Create, Communicate and - most importantly - Exchange your house.

Creating: Every agent should advise you on pricing strategy as well as what should be cleaned and/or fixed to be more attractive to buyers.

Good agents will advise you on how to 'package' your home - using professional photographers is a must. Always choose an agent that uses a professional photographer.

The best agents will add a little extra to the product. They will get it staged or arranged nicely, arrange to have the house professionally cleaned for the buyers after you move out or use their own personal "trade secrets." Call me, and I will share mine. :-)

Communicating: All agents get your home on numerous web sites. Big whoop. Make sure that when it's out there, it looks good. (Take professional pictures!)

Virtual tours, YouTube videos, Facebook posts, blogging (about your home) and premium listings on realtor.com and the like are all practices of good agents. Make sure these get done.

Ed Barski is right. Newspaper ads are a waste of time and money, and mailers promote the agent more than your house. When was the last time an agent actually called on you to ask if you know anyone that wants to move to your neighborhood (specifically, into their client's house)? Can't remember? Not many great agents out there. Again, call me. I like to go for walks!

Exchanging: Getting it sold is the name of the game, but make sure you hire an agent who will dot the 'i's, cross the 't's and not disappear after the contract is signed only to reappear to collect his/her check at the closing table. Jen Butel had good advice as well - get ambivalent buyers off the fence by making THEM an offer.

If you want to sell your house via what I call "The Walmart Way" - price it as low as possible and hope it sells fast - there is nothing wrong with that. However, there is room in this world for "The Neiman Marcus Way," which is to create a premium product, show it to those who want to own it, and sell it for a premium price.

Good luck with everything, and I hope you got the answers you were looking for!

Peace in your home,

Doug Vogelsass, Realtor
Agents for Change

Cell: (512) 739-0457
eFax: (918) 513-5112
Email: doug@myagentsforchange.com

15% of our net agent fees at the closing of our client's property will be donated to a charitable organization of their choice. We do this with ALL clients. This is our way of expressing our appreciation to both our clients and the worthy causes dedicated to the betterment of our communities.

1801 South MOPAC
Suite 100
Austin, TX 78746
Each Keller Williams office is independently owned and operated.
Linda Lorenzo, Agent, McKinney, TX
Wed Dec 1, 2010
Have you had your home staged? You need someone, hopefully your Realtor to be brutally honest with you and give you advice on what your home needs to make it tip top to wow a buyer when they walk through the door (speaking of doors is it freshly painted?). It takes a buyer about 10 seconds to form an impression of your home so you need to have it look its best. We don't live in our homes the way we sell our homes. Walk through your home with a buyers eyes (literally go outside and walk back in) - what do you see? Do you need to do some pre-packing of knick knacks, etc. How are your carpets, paint colors, etc. Sometimes a small investments can do wonders. Good luck to you.
John R. McMa…, Agent, Rochester, NY
Wed Dec 1, 2010
yes i have many. You don't get them for free, however. I've been a top Realtor for over 25 years and I lerned long ago if you give it away, it has no value.

Good Luck - sounds like you need an agent you have confidence in, not marketing gimmicks.
Craig Barnes, , Austin, TX
Wed Dec 1, 2010
Here's the naked truth:

Realtors market to get new buyers and sellers. Doesn't matter if it's postcards or facebook. Their focus is on getting new clients, My advice, hire a Realtor that will tell you the truth (even if you don't want to hear it) and negotiate on your behalf like a wolverine. The money is made in the deal, not on the spiel!

The truth is 80% of the "marketing" you want someone else to do for you will still be your responsibility. Price your home competitively and make sure it sizzles for showings.
Web Reference:  http://www.AgentSnooper.com
Betina Forem…, Agent, Austin, TX
Tue Nov 30, 2010
I must agree with Tracy Lee. A tallented professional photographer is worth their weight in gold. Personally I love Allison Cartwright owner of TwistTours.com. She consistantly takes exceptional photos and is very timely on her turn around time, and is reasonably priced. I had one seller that was so impressed with how great his home looked he did not even recognize it as his own home!

Cheers,
Betina
Tracy Lee Ja…, , 15236
Tue Nov 30, 2010
Julia,

If you are a FSBO our company has a program to get you up and running. One of the most out of several unique things I do is hire a professional photographer to do my pictures as well as my virtual tours. You only have a few moments to capture their interest. To learn more of what else I do please contact me at :

Tracy Janov ABR, CRS
Prudential Preferred Realty
412-854-7200 x 233 or cell 412-759-0316

My website is: TracyJanov.com
Edith Karoli…, Agent, Winnetka, IL
Mon Nov 29, 2010
How to make your home more attractive to buyers!

In short:
Great very competitive pricing
Super well prepared home for showings (which may include some painting, moving of furniture, uncluttering if need be to show more space, professional staging depending on home and size of home)

Gorgeous photos of your home inside and out to be put on the various internet sites...

Are you selling by owner, or will you use a Realtor, a good Realtor will suggest and take care of all those
aspects, to prepare and price your home well....

Internet marketing on as many sites as possible seems to be more effective and marketing to the real estate community helps a lot as well (your Realtor will take care of all of that!)

Good luck to you!
Edith YourRealtor4Life and Chicago Connection
Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients
EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com
Web Reference:  http://tinyurl.com/MeetEdith
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Mon Nov 29, 2010
Are you a FSBO?

Unique strategies... yes majority do however I don't broadcast my trade secrets what works for me represent property owner or buyers agent.

Real estate same as marketing any consumer based product:
1) Advertising
2) Website (s)
3) Newspaper
4) Open house

You can still have prefect home in right location can sit on market years... have an ugly home where buyers are fighting over sales contract.

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
1 2