Does a person with multiple designations mean they are more qualified than a person who is a licensed sales rep?

Asked by Cliff C, Syosset, NY Thu Aug 16, 2012

If they are designated as a sellers / buyers broker, etc

Answers

19
Sally Grenier, Agent, Boulder, CO
Thu Aug 16, 2012
Personally, I don't think so. But I'm sure you'll get responses from agents with tons of designations saying how much more qualified they are than agents without those designations. More designations just means they spent more time and $$ in a classroom (or online) getting those designations. It also costs more money from year to year to keep those designations. Does it translate to more real world experience? Hard to say.

Do I wish I had more designations behind my name? Certainly! But I'm so busy working, I don't have the time! ;-)
Annette Law…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Wed Aug 22, 2012
Sally and Jeanne have provided great responses to your question.
It would be worth adding that if I had spent $25,000 in order to append a train of letters after my name I MUST defend my choice or admit to being foolish.
-
Such designations, or instance CDPE, allow an real estate professional to market themselves as certified distressed property specialists. "I'm a specialists 'cause I paid for these here letters." And every year the agent gets to pay a little more to keep the letters sparking and bright.
-
The reality is, if you want a distressed property specialist, you need to find an agent who has successfully executed contracts and negotiations for buyers and sellers. As Jeanne suggested, the proof is in the results. PERIOD.
-
To suggest there is any validity in the alphabet train, one must confront the many redundant designations. Now which is better, CDPD or SFR? The alphabet train, for the most part, is a successful marketing ploy to separate agents from their money and feeds the egos of real estate people. The money is made by these organizations. Egos and guilt are very expensive travel companions.
-
Please don't confuse my comments and think the alphabet train is necessarily detrimental. It just isn't beneficial, in any way, to a home buyer or home seller.
-
Ask, 'What deals have you closed the last six months?" Then follow the bread crumbs.

Best of success to you,

Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax Realtec Group, Palm Harbor, FL
727. 420. 4041
http://RealEstateMadeEZ.us
Said the realtor with no designations. I find it strange that you would think that extra education and specialization "It just isn't beneficial, in any way, to a home buyer or home seller." That's a pretty broad statement. I guess you'll be burning books next as education in general is useless, it's only doing that counts. Interesting perspective.
Flag Wed Aug 22, 2012
Joseph Asaro, Agent, SEAFORD, NY
Mon Aug 20, 2012
As a general answer i would say YES, they are.

If nothing else these agents have shown the willingness to spend their hard earned monies and invested additional educational time, then it would normally be required, in order to render a more professional service to Buyer/Sellers.

Yes, additional education resulting in obtaining multiple designations can only be a good thing.

To put it in a more practical term, I would ask anyone, would you be inclined to use a General MD, or someone who is specialized, indeed he is a Certfied Surgeon for your heart operation ?

Cliff, hire whomever you feel confortable working with, and in the end with all things being equal I suggest that you select the agent with the multiple designations.
Judi Monday,…, Agent, Green Valley, AZ
Thu Aug 16, 2012
What the designations mean is that an agent has taken training over and above what's required to hold and maintain their license. No, it doesn't necessarily make them more qualified than the agent without the designations but it certainly shows a dedication to their chosen profession to go beyond what's required and in my mind, that is something I would definitely take into consideration when hiring any professional, be it a real estate agent or otherwise.
Robbie Vaughn, Agent, Mineola, NY
Thu Aug 16, 2012
Not at all, but I do agree with Mr. May.
Web Reference:  http://www.bverealty.com
Shanna Rogers, Agent, Murrieta, CA
Thu Aug 16, 2012
Hi Cliff,

I am a Broker and have a few designations. Does that mean I'm more qualified than someone who doesn't have them and isn't a Broker? Not necessarily. It just means I've spent some extra time being educated than some others. The extra education doesn't hurt. What matters is if it's applied and not everyone who has designations applies their knowledge.

Shanna Rogers
SR Realty
http://www.RealtyBySR.com
Nirmala Cara…, Agent, Bronx, NY
Thu Aug 16, 2012
Great response Sally, Thumbs up.
Boris Bast, Agent, Smithtown, NY
Wed Aug 22, 2012
Hi Cliff,

I think Jessica Ballas answered the question correctly below. We live in a society where intelligence is measured by how many certificates/designations you have earned for completion of courses. My advice is to interview a few Agents prior to making a decision. Find out there experience in the area and in Real Estate,Finance & etc. There is more to a good Agent that just designations that you will need to base your decision on.

You will be able to determine after interviewing several Agents which will be the right one for you.

Good Luck,
The Roskelly…, Agent, Gambrills, MD
Wed Aug 22, 2012
Hi Cliff,

In general I would say yes. The person with multiple designations has taken the time to attend specialized classes and in many cases continuing education to maintain their accreditation status. However, I've seen cases where such agents have little to no experience so my best answer is that a combination of provden experience AND accreditations would make for a better informed agent.
Travis Jacks…, Agent, Floral Park, NY
Wed Aug 22, 2012
A Realtor with designations means that they have taken additional training in that area in order to better serve there customer. As it was stated previously, all realtors take mandatory 22.5 hours of continuing education every 2 years. As a person hiring a Realtor, you should interview the Realtor to see if they are the best fit for what you are trying to do in your real estate transaction. Designations are good for the Realtor, but at the end of the day, its about who you feel comfortable working with.
Dorene Slavi…, Agent, Torrance, CA
Mon Aug 20, 2012
Dear Cliff,

In my opinion it shows a person who is dedicated to their profession and willing to take the time to further their education in their field. It's no different then any other professional person, who goes the extra mile, to gain additional skills or training.
Some designations are harder to obtain then others. A Commercial Realtor with a CCIM designation represents the very elite in the Commercial Real Estate Field.
Janet Nation,…, Agent, Baldwin, NY
Mon Aug 20, 2012
Not necessarily, in my opinion, it depends what they do with it/them. I'm a CBR (Certified Buyer Representative) for example and I really work that designation. I see other agents with the same designation and totally clueless on how to operate as a buyer's agent.
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Fri Aug 17, 2012
I don't know if "qualified" is the right word.

Certainly, in order to get a "certification," you have to "qualify." So those people are qualified for the requirements of that certification.

As a practical matter, only a very small percentage of agents will work only with buyers or only with sellers. You can check into the designation to find out what the requirements are.

I can tell you that very few of us have ever done a transaction with another agent and thought, "Gee, I bet that agent has (such and such) designation!" So perhaps the benefits aren't immediately apparent.

On the other hand, education is a valuable thing, so maybe it does make for a better agent.

Jennifer Fiv…, Agent, Red Hook, NY
Thu Aug 16, 2012
There are many agents who have gone through the course of study for the designations but opt out of paying the yearly fee to use the designation. With this in mind interview agents to see who would be a good match for you, more than designation should be factored into your decision to hire an agent.
Thomas Brady, Agent, Plainview, NY
Thu Aug 16, 2012
In certain areas it can. Each designation certifies extra study and specialization in an area. SFR= Short Sale Foreclosure Resource, SRES= Seniors Real Estate Specialist and so forth. Any agent can be a seller's agent, buyer's agent or broker's agent depending on their point of representation on that specific deal. I've known agents with numerous designations after their name that I wouldn't let represent me if I was buying a gumball, and other's with no designations that I would entrust my life with. Interview a few agents, you'll get a sense of who is just smoke and mirrors and who has substance to them.
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Thu Aug 16, 2012
Generally no, therefore choose the agent you like best and who has the most to offer; choose your agent with care and not by designations alone...
Gail Gladsto…, Agent, 11743, NY
Thu Aug 16, 2012
Not all education results in a designation. Realtors in NY are required to have 22.5 hours of continuing education every 2 years. It is up to the individual Realtor if they wish to incur the extra costs involved with these designations, or just continue to get further education.

Perception is everything and those little alphabets after someone's name can be impressive and certainly can be an indication they are very serious about what they do.

In hiring a Realtor, most buyers and sellers first have to like the person. It is a long road with a lot of bumps and there has to be trust that you know your Realtor can handle the driving.

All Realtors can transact as seller brokers or buyer brokers; that indicates whom you represent.

If you are interviewing a Realtor to sell your house, interview more than one. I would like to know that they provide you with a written Marketing Plan (marketing is what home sales is all about) and show you on paper the recent sales for comparable properties in your area.

There are a lot of other items to look for in interviewing and selecting a Realtor. Feel free to give me a call at 631-425-6150 and I will be happy to discuss the various aspects.

This is about you and your comfort level; selling or purchasing a home is a big step.

gail@GladstoneGroupRealty.com
Alan May, Agent, Evanston, IL
Thu Aug 16, 2012
Not necessarily. That appears to be the consensus.

What those multiple designations do indicate is a dedication to learning more and more about their chosen career path. And personally, I think that's a good thing.
Jeanne Feeni…, Agent, Basking Ridge, NJ
Thu Aug 16, 2012
NO, not necessarily. Though I have my share, I have learned most of what I know from "doing" not qualifying for designations. Look for experience, at least a few years in the business, 3+ is my advice....that's when it starts to click for those of us that make it. Also production - ask for the proof of what the agent has done, individually, not the brokerage or office, the agent. Each of us has a unique identifier under which we book our business in the MLS. There is no spinning the facts, ask for them.

There is a lot of smoke and mirrors in this business - do not fall prey to it!

Good luck and best,
Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service, Unsurpassed Results