Home Selling in Shelocta>Question Details

Patti Scrips, Real Estate Pro in Indiana, PA

Does a mortgage become null and void after so many years?

Asked by Patti Scrips, Indiana, PA Tue Oct 11, 2011

I filed bankruptcy in 2004 and was told that a mortgage I had for 16,000 was included. I was able to get a new mortgage in 2007 with no problem. I now sold my property and it was sols with a free clear title 6 weeks ago. They had contacted me 4 days before closing to say that a lein for the old mortgage was showing up at the courthouse. I sent them all my bankruptcy papers and they said everything was fine and gave a clear title. I now got a call from the settlement company saying that this lein was still active and want me to pay this amount. I feel that they made a huge mistake giving a clear title without verifying. What are my rights?

Answers

4
I will be the 4th person to say you speak with your bankruptcy attorney to find out if this lien is even valid - if it was included in BK and it was discharged then I am not sure how a lien would have been filed, and even if it was, I think the BK would have wiped it out. If it was me I would really explore that avenue first before messing with the title company any further at this point.
Do you have an attorney? You should call him or her right away.
You really should discuss such an issue with your attorney, he/she can better advise as to any rights....
I think you should contact your bankruptcy attorney and ask them. There are a lot of variables and only an attorney will be able to answer the question.