Do you need to keep the original agreement of sale or will a photocopy suffice? I am the seller

Asked by Sam, 06484 Tue Jun 21, 2011

Answers

4
David Rogoff…, , Brooklyn, NY
Tue Jun 21, 2011
Dear Sam:

Always keep originals in a safe deposit box or fireproof vault. Electronic copies can be kept on a secure server for easy access. Consult with your attorney for the specific state/fed regulations covering this transaction.

Bonnie Chernin and David Rogoff
Fillmore Real Estate Branch #19
2926 Avenue J
Brooklyn NY 11210
917-593-4068 – David mobile
646-318-5031 – Bonnie mobile
davidrogoff@fillmore.com – E-mail
Charles Bald…, Agent, Philadelphia, PA
Tue Jun 21, 2011
Keep the original documents, all addenda, and the HUD-1 settlement documents together. While copies and digital copies are considered legal documents, the strongest source of legal reference are the originals as they preserve the integrity of an unalterable condition.

Charles Balducci 215.531.2000
Andrew Brown, Agent, Philadelphia, PA
Tue Jun 21, 2011
I would personally want to keep the original documents. Photocopies are considered a legal document, but if you ever need to defend it in a court of law, I would feel more comfortable with original signatures. A copy can be manipulated by someone that knows what they are doing.
Janet Ames,…, Agent, Bryn Mawr, PA
Tue Jun 21, 2011
Photo and fax copies are considered legal documents in this electronic age. The important thing is to have all pages of the documents and to be sure that they are all signed and initialed wherever required (with any changes initialed and dated.)