Do you have to be licensed to negotiate a Short Sale in Texas?

Asked by , Tue Apr 2, 2013

I am a real estate agent who would like to hire an assistant to negotiate with the bank on short sales, does she need to be licensed?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Al Geffon’s answer
Al Geffon, Agent, Houston, TX
Tue Apr 2, 2013
Any negotiations, be they short sales, foreclosures or conventional purchases must be conducted by licensed agents. I would check with all sources listed by the others who've responded ... but I can guarantee that a non-licensed assistant cannot be an active participant in the sales process.
1 vote
Don Groff, Agent, Austin, TX
Tue Apr 2, 2013
Any negotiation of price has to be done by a licensed real estate agent. You will want to address these questions with your broker or TREC yourself to get more detailed information on what a non-licensed assistant can and cannot do on your behalf.

Don Groff | REALTOR® & Mortgage Broker
Austin Real Estate Pros & 360 Lending Group
o 512.669.5599 | m 512.633.4157 |
websites: |
1 vote
Asad Shaikh, Agent, Austin, TX
Tue Apr 2, 2013
Everything in Real Estate is pretty much regulated by Trec. Please visit their website for confirmation.
0 votes
Mark McNitt, Agent, Houston, TX
Tue Apr 2, 2013

You might want to call the TAR hotline

Legal hotline - 800/873-9155

Mark McNitt
m 832-567-4357
Bernstein Realty, Inc.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more