Do you as a seller open to depersonalizing your home?

Asked by Kim Benedict, Overland Park, KS Fri Feb 28, 2014

If you are please share, and if your against it, why?

Answers

1
John Juarez, Agent, Fremont, CA
Fri Feb 28, 2014
I am not a seller, Kim, but I think we all know that it is mostly agents who answer these questions on Trulia.com.

By “depersonalizing” I suspect that you mean doing things like putting away the family photos, removing excess decorations and furniture, storing personal collections and generally turning the home into a commodity that is for sale and not a place where you spend your life. We encourage our clients to do just that. We offer free staging or a staging consultation to help our clients. It may be wrenching in some cases but sellers need to embrace the realization that their house is “for sale” and must be made to appeal to a wide range of buyers in order to achieve the best sale results. That is the goal, isn’t it?

The extreme opposite of what we try to achieve was displayed in a home that I toured recently. The owner’s collection of Smurf figures was proudly displayed on shelves that covered an entire wall in the family room! I don’t know how a potential buyer could walk out after touring that home without that image obscuring any other image of the home.
Yes John, it was a question geared to sellers... not to agents.

Yes that is what I mean as you know as an agent is really important for buyers to come in an feel like they can live there. like a model home would... yes a collection like that makes them think only of the Smurf collection NOT the home they are looking at. This is the purpose of this question.

Thank you.
Flag Fri Feb 28, 2014