Home Selling in Charlotte>Question Details

Trulia Charl…, Other/Just Looking in Charlotte, NC

Do staged homes really sell better than empty homes?

Asked by Trulia Charlotte, Charlotte, NC Tue Apr 30, 2013

Answers

13
National stats from professional staging organizations show that staged homes sell faster and for more money than empty homes. It makes sense; when we take pictures on formal occasions, we often dress up. When people see a dressed up home, it does hold more appeal. We are seeing evidence of this in the real estate owned by banks and governmental entities which is being freshly painted and re-carpeted prior to marketing - with a higher price. The amount of staging should be in keeping with the type and price of home. If you appreciate an answer, please give thumbs up. For the most helpful answer, please say thanks with a best answer click.
Thanks Trulia for the question. Think about it in this way, a seller gets about 3-5 seconds to make an outstanding impression of their home via the Internet (97% of buyers locate homes here). Most agents are not professional photographers or stagers...HUGE difference. I know my strengths and weaknesses and I leave this very important tasks to the professionals.

When a seller puts their trust in you to represent their home on the open market and sell one of the biggest assets they may own, do the right thing and give them well above average services. This is what clients want and deserve in exchange for their trust and business. Thanks!
Absolutely! A staged home gives buyers a better perspective on how their home can be situated. It has a warmer feel to it verses an empty home where you have to imagine it all.
Web Reference: http://www.blancadover.com
Yes. They do because you will get more buyers to walk through and the potential with more buyers is more offers and better offers with more activity.
Hello Charlotte,

I see many buyers falling in love before they even see the house - by looking at good pictures of a staged property on line. In fact, those properties attract more attention/traffic, get shown more (buyers call their agents to show those staged properties), and they definitely sell for more and faster than un-staged properties.

The reason is that most buyers can not see beyond what they see walking in.
Rarely somebody sees potential. No one likes the clutter (which makes the house look smaller and distracts the buyers attention from the property towards "stuff").
You should hear what we get to hear as agents!

Another issue with un-staged property is that the buyers have hard time imagining it being theirs.
That's why personal pictures etc. should be removed (and magnets/notes on the refrigerator).
If the property is vacant and there is no furniture, even though it was freshly painted and remodeled,
even then - many buyers struggle with where they would put their furniture etc.

In fact, the importance of staging is especially noticeable when the staged items and furniture are removed prior to the walk through. The house just does not look the same, and the buyers are often a little blue about the loss of "charm" that existed due to staging.

Hope this helps,

Irina Karan
Beachfront Realty, Inc.
IrinaKaran@gmail.com
That is a big yes, not only does it make the house feel like a model home but it also helps the buyer with seeing how the home could look with stuff in it. It will also allow them to visualize where things can fit and how the home would look. But be careful, if the home is poorly staged it may backfire. Always use the advise of a staging professional.
Absolutely, It helps the buyers envision what the house will look like with their belongings in it. It helps the house feel like a home.
Yes, a staged home does sell better than a vacant home! There are so many people who can not visualize how furniture would work in an empty space. They look at an empty room and it looks smaller rather than bigger and just can't picture how it would all work.

Besides furniture, paint colors are very important. You are trying to appeal to 90% of the buyers 90% of the time. A thorough cleaning of every surface is a must and declutter everything. Look at a room and take 40% of everything out and pack it away. Just think of it as getting a head start to packing up for your next home!

Getting your home ready to market is not easy, but if you do it right, you won't have to worry about keeping it in perfect condition for very long before you get an offer!

Tracy Clay
Wilkinson & Associates
tracyclayhomes@gmail.com
Definitely...A staged home allows the home buyer to perceive the home for the actual size it is. An empty house leaves a lot to the imagination as to whether or not their furniture will fit or not.

I have found that going into staged homes has helped my buyers see the home for what it si and what it can be...But staging has to go beyond the furniture and take into account the paint on the walls and other decorating items.

I have recommended to buyers that they put a fresh coat fo paint on the walls and have the carpets professionally cleaned. In addition to having cabinets repainted or refinished and some brighter bulbs in the sockets help enhance the warm feelign a house has.

Homes that are staged sell faster and for more money than ones that are not....

Dave diCecco
Realtor/Broker
Coldwell Banker United
Cell:704-519-7895
ddicecco@cbunited.com
http://www.davedicecco.com
Staged homes sell faster!
Absolutely! See me to stage your home minimally or to recommend a stager who will fully stage your home. A staged home will cut the days on market dramatically if the house is priced appropriately. People buy what they see and feel good about. :)
In one word - absolutely! Buyers have difficulty "seeing" how furniture can best be placed in a vacant home. Counter-intuitively, vacant homes also look smaller than homes with furniture in them. Take two identical houses, one staged and one vacant. The staged house will always sell first. I also use a stager to consult with my owner occupants to help them de-clutter, de-personalize, choose neutral paint colors, as well as recommend any repairs or updating prior to listing.

Stagers help sellers present their homes in the very best light, so that a buyer can readily see themselves living in the home!
Absolutely! I am also a real estate investor and I have flipped several homes. Back in 2007 when the market was just beginnng to slow down, I was trying to sell one of my flips. A buyer's agent suggested I stage it with furniture as her buyer could not see past the empty house and made an offer on an inferior home down the street. As soon as the furniture was delivered, an agent showed the house and made an offer on it and I sold the house. The master bedroom looked so much larger with the furniture. The living and kitchen looked great too. I did add a couple of pictures, etc. but the staging was definitely worth the money I spent.