Home Selling in Saint Louis>Question Details

Claired, Home Seller in Saint Louis, MO

Do my house title/deed and mortgage need to be changed to my married name before I sell it? My house is in my maiden name and we plan to sell soon.

Asked by Claired, Saint Louis, MO Sun Dec 18, 2011

did not make changes to the house title or mortgage but we plan to sell very soon.

Answers

12
You don't have to worry about it. The title company will take care of it for you.
Claire,

No it does not need to change.

Have a Merry Christmas and Great New Year.
Thank you very much for all of your responses. They were definitely helpful. I was hoping that as long as I showed my marriage license that we would be okay.
Everyone that has answered previously is correct. Your title company will make sure you get all necessary changes made prior to closing.

Best of luck,

Trevor
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 18, 2011
Recently, I was the buying agent for a home which this very situation applies. The female spouse purchased before marriage. They have been married several years, and the title company made sure title changed smoothly in this transaction.
The title company will take care of all of the specifics.

I would like to talk to you more about selling your home.
No, your new spouse automatically owns1/2 based on MO law, so he will need to sign the listing contract, any contract negotiations or acceptance and sign at closing or do a marital waiver
Web Reference: http://Www.yourstlhome.com
There are some documents your husband will have to sign. Don't worry about having to find out the details on your own. The title company will handle that for you. Your situation is common. I'd really like the opportunity to explain to you the sale process. Please feel free to give me a call at anytime and I will answer any questions that you may be concerned with. I can be reached at 314-504-7903. Have a great Sunday! Lisa
Web Reference: http://lisarozier.com
Judy is right. The title company will take care of it for you. If you would like to speak with someone from a title company directly call Sheri at Intergity Land Title - (314) 209-8100. She can explain exactly how it works. Please give me a call when you are ready to sell, we do a great job for people and I would love for the opportunity to speak to you about our services and how we can help you. My number is 314.571.9225
Claire,
You do not need to change the name in which your deed is recorded. Both you and your husband would sign all associated paperwork when selling the home. Title co. at closing will provide nedessary documents regarding your name. I hope this is helpful.

Mary Peck
Keller Williams
314-280-1868
Good question and it shows you are wanting to make sure you are ready for the things needed to sell your house. The short answer is "no". As Judy stated, the Title company can handle what you need at the time of closing. Focus on other things and good luck!
The Title Company can do that at the time of closing. In the state of Missouri a spouse has ownership unless there is a prenuptial agreement. Best wishes. Judy Bond, Star Performers Realtors. judy@judybond.com