Do cosmetic details do much to help sell a house?

Asked by Jason, 30097 Thu May 29, 2008

I have a 15 year old home I would like to sell...when I purchased four years ago it had all the standard gold & silver colored builder grade fixtures. I've updated most of the light fixtures, plumbing fixtures & door hardware to reflect more recent styles (rubbed bronze, nickle, etc...). Would it likely be worth the time & small expense of updating the thermostats & wall plates to white ones rather than sticking with the beige that's been there for 15 years? I feel that it would be worth it since we've updated everything else, but if it's something buyers won't even notice I don't want to waste my time. Thanks

Answers

2
Bay Jackson, , Shreveport, LA
Thu May 29, 2008
Jason, I agree with Keith on the "musts" - new wall plates are very inexpensive and buyers will be looking. I assume you don't have a Realtor or you wouldn't be asking this question in this forum. There are many helpful ideas online, http://www.frontdoor.com, http://www.realtor.com, etc. You should have someone that can give you an objective opinion come in and look at your house through a buyer's eyes. After 15 years, you have gotten comfortable in your home and might over look some very minor, but very important details.
Keith Sorem, Agent, Glendale, CA
Thu May 29, 2008
Jason
Great post!
The truth is that buyers, ideally, want to buy a perfect home. So, the better your home is, the fewer challenges you will have.: Higher offers, shorter listing period, fewer requests for repairs, less negotiating.

Now, the reason that people value Realtors is exactly your question. What do I have to do to max my profit, what is optional, and what is not worth my time or money? The only truthful way to answer that question is to gave a Realtor meet and discuss three things:
1. Your personal situation
2. Your current home
3. The current market situation.

Then they can answer your questions. They know what type of home you would be competing with and buyer's tastes in your price point.

Speaking just from my experience, musts are:
Declutter, depersonalize
Clean, clean, clean,
Light and bright ( higher wattage bulbs, for example).
New paint in and out
I woulld change switch plates if it were me and the current plates are 15 years old....unless your home has a vintage feel.