Home Selling in Belmont>Question Details

Ann, Home Seller in Belmont, MA

Do I need to delead a 2-family before selling? It has never been tested so I assume it contains lead paint.

Asked by Ann, Belmont, MA Sat May 31, 2008

Answers

2
No, you do not need to delead before selling. I am assuming that your home was built before 1978, the year lead paint was outlawed. If after 1978, you can assume there is no lead paint. When you list your home with an agency, you must complete the Property Transfer Notification Certification form. If there has ever been a lead test and/or if you have any documentation of lead status, you must disclose that on the form and provide the potential buyer with any documentation. On the form, you disclose your understanding of the lead status. If you are not sure, you indicate that. If you know, you must disclose that. The potential buyer reviews this form PRIOR to making an offer and decides whether they want to make an offer or not. You, as the seller, simply disclose truthfully. The buyer decides whether they want to buy. You do not have to delead the home before selling it (unless you have one or more children under the age of six and know it has lead; then you had 90 days after buying it to dealead or get it under "interim compliance.")
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 31, 2008
There is a lead based paint Addendum that is part of the Real Estate Contract for homes built before 1978. This Addendum is required by federal law.
Removing the lead based paint is a costly & time intensive endeavor rarely required.