Do I need to activate my R.E. license before I bid on a house in order to receive the sales fee?

Asked by Adela Azcuy, Kendall, FL Sun Oct 3, 2010

Or can I activate my license if the bid is accepted (notifications would be made at initial contact)?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Monir Mamoun, Agent, Denville, NJ
Sun Oct 3, 2010
Yes and fully disclose it. Also make it clear that as a condition of the offer you are looking for a discount, not a commission. This way you can keep the whole split as savings and don't have to declare income (double check with an accountant and real estate lawyer on that).
0 votes
Derek Eyring, Agent, Lake Tapps, WA
Sun Oct 3, 2010
If that's your sole motivation for having a license, please don't activate it.
2 votes
Jeremy Weinb…, Agent, Longwood, FL
Wed Sep 18, 2013
Yes, your license would need to be active in order to earn real estate commission on either your own purchase or for any other prospects purchase. The license would need to be active on or before the actual contract date.

In FL your license has to be active in order to earn a fee. A real estate referral company is a great option to those who have a Florida Real Estate license but are not able to sell full-time, but can still earn a real estate referral fee. Go to for a company that pays back 90% of the referral fee.
0 votes
Luis Iglesias, Agent, Coral Gables, FL
Wed Oct 3, 2012
You absolutely need to have an active license in order to receive a commission. For further informaion, contact your local real estate board.

Luis Iglesias
D & I International Realty
Principal Broker
(786) 395-0341
0 votes
Ana Valladar…, Agent, Miami, FL
Sat Feb 18, 2012
You definitely need to have a real estate license to earn a commission from a sale. It will be better if you negotiate it as a buyer's discount or credit though. Good luck!
0 votes
Brian Halste…, Agent, Miami, FL
Fri Oct 8, 2010
If what you mean by sales fee you mean a commission, you can get in big trouble collecting one without a license. My advice to you Adela is to reactivate your license before you practice any activity involving real estate where you are paid a fee, there are some exception to this rule but even some investors I know go the extreme and get there real estate license better safe than sorry.
Web Reference:
0 votes
Desari Jabbar, Agent, Stone Mountain, GA
Sun Oct 3, 2010
Commissions cannot be given to unlicensed personnel. You need a license to practice real estate and your license is in inactive status. If you want to purchase the house and receive a commission, then you'll have to activate your license. For further information, you should contact your local real estate commission.
Web Reference:
0 votes
Lila Lopez, Agent, South Miami, FL
Sun Oct 3, 2010
Hi Adela,

I do agree with Alma as it relates to some banks if it is a bank owned property will not pay a comission to a buyer that is a licensed realtor.

You do not specify if you are a sales associate or a broker. If you are a broker, you would not need to "hang" your license with an office, just activate it. If as has been suggested here, you do not have access to the MLS then it will become more difficult to get the most up to date listings on the market.

If I may suggest, you can activate your license, and as you clearly are not a full time agent, if you are a sales associate "hang" your license, and then find a realtor that you feel can meet your needs. This realtor can act as your realtor and then provide you with a referral fee. If you will need the commision to complete your transacation , then your circumstances are quite different.

But as all agree here, you will need to activate your license in order to collect a comission.

Good luck in your hom search.
0 votes
Alma Kee, Agent, Tampa, FL
Sun Oct 3, 2010
Dear Adele,

Some bank owned will not pay any commission to realtors buying for themselves. Not all but I've seen a few listed like that.

I would think you must be a licensed and "active" Florida Realtor on the date you sign an offer in order to receive the commission.

Don't forget to pay the extra fees for an electronic lockbox key if you are looking at re-sale properties as most listing agents will not waste their time showing you the listing if you do not have a lockbox key. You cannot "borrow" one from your broker, that's against the rules.someone else.

Also make sure to join a Realtor board so you can pay for MLS access, too. That way you can search complete details and be able to set up appointments to see properties.

Good luck in your search.
0 votes
Debra B Albe…, Agent, Port St Lucie, FL
Sun Oct 3, 2010
Yes, Only a licensee can get a sales commission.

Debra Albert, PA
Coldwell Banker Residential
Web Reference:
0 votes
Clark Riel, Agent, Reno, NV
Sun Oct 3, 2010
i would say undoubtable yes!!!
0 votes
Antonio Vega…, Agent, Saint Cloud, FL
Sun Oct 3, 2010
Commissions cannot be paid to unlicensed people. Plus, i'm sure if this bid does not get accepted that you will go after another home.

Like Marcos said below, if buying for yourself ask the commission be used as a credit or seller contribution towards the sell. Or if buying for yourself but want the cash, then activate your license with a 100% brokerage, so that you will only pay a small flat fee out of your commission.

Tony Vega
Charles Rutenberg
0 votes
Jeanne Feeni…, Agent, Basking Ridge, NJ
Sun Oct 3, 2010
I'd be careful and talk to a local broker so you get it right and don't trip yourself up. Your license must be current and hung with a broker in order to be paid commission.

Good luck to you,
Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference:
0 votes
Marcos Mendi…, Agent, Coral Gables, FL
Sun Oct 3, 2010
You should activate your license and ask them to give the 3% as a credit. This was you don't have to share your commission with your broker and more importantly you won't have to pay taxes on that money. If you got paid a commission you would have to pay taxes on the money made. Marcos Mendiola Keller Williams realty
0 votes
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Sun Oct 3, 2010
I don't know for sure. But I suspect--and certainly to be on the safe side--it should be activated before you bid on the house. Check with a broker in your area.
0 votes
Mott Marvin…, Agent, Sunny Isles Beach, FL
Sun Oct 3, 2010

Web Reference:
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more