Do I have the right to be at my property during a final walk through?

Asked by llkhmeraznfoo, Los Angeles, CA Fri Jun 7, 2013

I just wanted to know if I have the right to be at my property during a final walk through if I request it to my listing agent?

Answers

20
Ron Escobar -…, Agent, Beverly Hills, CA
Fri Jun 7, 2013
yes you do.. but why would y0o want to... the agents should be able t take care of it... is like hiring a painter to paint your house and then wanting to grab the brush and paint for them...
Dorene Slavi…, Agent, Torrance, CA
Wed Feb 24, 2016
Yes of course you can be there if you wish, it's still your property and you are still the owner until escrow closes.
Gail Mercedes…, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Sat Jun 8, 2013
You have the right to be present. Generally, it is best that the seller is not present and buyer has the freedom to have "Final Inspection" without the seller present. If any demands occur about the condition of property buyers agent will notify the seller in writing ASAP. If you are adamant about being present you have that right.

Gail Mercedes Cole
EXP Realty
310.853.9933
carlos parra…, Other Pro, Monrovia, CA
Sat Jun 8, 2013
Of course you do! Its your property until the close of Escrow.
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Sat Jun 8, 2013
The best person to ask for this advice would be your RE agent. They will be familiar with the circumstances of the transaction and have a good feel for whether or not being present could be "counter productive."

Understand that a "final walk through" has an expressed purpose. That is to make sure it's broom swept, there's no personal items left behind, it's in the same condition as it was when you went to contract, and whether or not all requested repairs have been made.

It's our experience that sellers often are present for initial structural inspections but when it comes to the final walk through it almost never happens......Do you have the right? I suppose so but I would rely on the advice of my agent on this one.......

Best wishes,

Kathleen Bec…, Agent, Santa Monica, CA
Fri Jun 7, 2013
There is no rule that says you are not to be present. It is better if both you and your agent are present with the other agent and the Buyer...that way...everything is verified by all parties and anything that needs to be corrected can be noted.
Kawain Payne, Agent, Seal Beach, CA
Fri Jun 7, 2013
Of course you have the right to be present at the final walk thru, and you should. The buyer may have questions or concerns you can address.

Until the deal closes, the home is STILL yours.

Kawain Payne, Realtor
Milton Marti…, Agent, Chicago, IL
Fri Jun 7, 2013
Yes you have the right to be at your home inspection. I would strongly recommend
James Sanchez, Agent, Burbank, CA
Fri Jun 7, 2013
You could be at your home during any and all inspections, appraisals....whatever it may be BUT you don't have to be in the same room as them or in a place where they know you are listening. Final walk thru means yhese are the last days. Be happy.

James
Muriel Levin, Agent, Beverly Hills, CA
Fri Jun 7, 2013
It's your house until it is sold. But be cooperative, it is in your interest if yo want to make the sale. . M Levin
Felipe Gutie…, Agent, Redondo Beach, CA
Fri Jun 7, 2013
Yes you do, you are the seller and you have the right to do anything. You can agree with a buyer to not be present at final walk through, thus, is your decision, thank you!!
Felipe Gutie…, Agent, Redondo Beach, CA
Fri Jun 7, 2013
You always have the right to do what ever you want on your property on the inception of escrow or at COE.. I wish you a smooth Escrow, thank you!!!
J Mario Preza, Agent, Burlingame, CA
Fri Jun 7, 2013
llkhmeraznfoo, you bring up a valid question about protocol and/or "customary" practices. However, you'll get varying opinions about this, as you can see from some of the responses. I agree with some of the responders that you have "a right" to be in your house as long as you want to be, but if an agent is doing their best to keep one party away from another it may be to avoid any awkward or unforeseen types of issues or questions that often times surface (that could potentially affect the very sale you're expecting to close!).

If there is no other reason to be at a house other than to insure that all goes well, stay away and it'll probably go no worse or better had you been there. On the other hand, if you don't trust what the agent is saying or doing, hmmm, it may be a little late to change anything that person may or may not have done. Again, it'll probably go no worse or better had you been there... If all goes according to plan, schedule and contract, you ought to be getting a check, and the buyer the keys to the house.
Margaret Ama…, Agent, Sarasota, FL
Fri Jun 7, 2013
It still is your property and therefor you certainly have the right to be there. it's not always the best idea but if you are just a bystander and don't get involved I don't see any reason why you can't.

Buyers just want to know that there are no changes to the property since they saw it last e.g holes in the wall, garbage etc. The general expectation is to leave the premises in a broom swept condition. It's a pain to clear out somebody else's things.
llkhmeraznfoo, Home Seller, Los Angeles, CA
Fri Jun 7, 2013
The only reason why I ask is because escrow closes Monday so the funds should be going through today (Friday) for escrow to be closed on Monday? (If I'm wron please correct me). My listing agent is not cooperating with me and seems as if she is representing the buyer. I just want to be there to make sure that no one will damage my property if escrow doesn't close. There's been many problems with this transaction and I just want to ensure everything would be okay during the walk through.
Felipe Gutie…, Agent, Redondo Beach, CA
Fri Jun 7, 2013
Yes you do, In most cases the the seller is not present at the final walk through, but once again... you have your right, thank you!!!
Mitchell Lub…, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, SHERMAN OAKS, CA
Fri Jun 7, 2013
No, you don't, but it is possible. It depends on your purchase agreement - you must have a copy of it. As per standard in industry the final walk through takes a place usually 5 days before closing and the property should be vacant 5 days before closing. But in a lot of cases it is not happening. Speak to your agent, you might have a good reason for it.
Tim Moore, Agent, Kitty Hawk, NC
Fri Jun 7, 2013
It is your home so you have the right to be there anytime you like, but the question is should you be there. No, it would be best that you are not there.
Shaukatali K…, Agent, Katy, TX
Fri Jun 7, 2013
It is stongly suggested that your emotional ties to your house ended once you
listed it for SELL.

If you happen to be at the final walk which if the time for the buyer,
it can sometimes have an awkward feeling to the buyer.

Just show up at closing and pick up your check.
PollyAnna Sn…, Agent, Bozeman, MT
Fri Jun 7, 2013
HI there....technically, yes, you could be at the final walk through. It is customary in most areas of the country to reserve this time of the Buyer though - that means it'd be nice to request to be there versus just showing up or being there. This is usually a good and emotional time for the Buyer as well - they start to "mentally move-in" and if you are there, they have a tendency to suppress animation re: what is going to be "theirs", feeling as if the soon-to-be-former-owner is still nesting there. Anyhow, while you could be there, it is usually a better idea to not be and let the process take its course, re: your moving out and someone else calling it their new "home". Hope this helps. Cheers!