Did you know that commissions in NY State are negotiable?

Asked by Linda Pratt, Gates-North Gates, NY Tue Mar 22, 2011

Answers

8
Michael Emery, , Minneapolis, MN
Tue Mar 22, 2011
Commissions in all 50 states are negotiable. Set commissions would be considered collusion and a violation of Federal Anti Trust laws.

Your posting is as relevant as a posting that states 'Did you know that the air we breathe is free?'
Cathy Barton, Agent, Fairport, NY
Wed Aug 1, 2012
Most of the time, you get for what you pay for ... yes commissions have always been negotiable however some firms will not negotiate commissions. Those firms that hold strong on commissions are probably the best to get the highest price in the quickest time.
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Wed Mar 23, 2011
Yes.

I knew that.

Does that mean that I can compete on Jeopardy!?
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Wed Mar 23, 2011
Do I note a hint of "self-promotion?"
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Tue Mar 22, 2011
At last! New York brokers can finally ask for - and receive - 15%, just like the auction houses!
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Tue Mar 22, 2011
Maybe we should ask if YOU know that all commissions are negotiable?

try a blog - this isn't really a question that requires an answer
Roy Ingle, Agent, Columbia, SC
Tue Mar 22, 2011
Commissions in any state are / should be negotiable. Otherwise, you operate in a fixed price market which is illegal. That does not mean that you will gain a concession from a broker....any broker. Asking is not getting, but collusion between brokers in a conspritorial effort to fix commission rates will not be tolerated by the DOJ / FTC once it is uncovered. Check out FTC litigation in MIchigan, Kansas, and South Carolina for starters. There may be more to come if brokers don't heed the signals. Fixing commission rates is not in the public interest now matter how you couch the presentation and, at least where I do business, that is the image we have always tried to project.
Dan Tabit, Agent, Issaquah, WA
Tue Mar 22, 2011
Linda,
This would be a better subject for a blog post than a question.