Canceling a listing

Asked by Alice, Tulsa, OK Mon May 12, 2008

We recently signed a listing agreement on our house. Now I am having second thoughts. Got thehouse all fixed up and I realize I want to stay. Is it possible to cancel the listing agreement? I beleive there was a $300 fee for the agent and I would be more than happy to pay that. Any thoughts on this?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Lisa Manley-…, Agent, Bixby, OK
Sun May 25, 2008
Thanks Dan, I appreciate the back up--God Bless you and yours. Lisa
1 vote
Lisa Manley-…, Agent, Bixby, OK
Mon May 12, 2008
I have had this situation occur before--she should release you from the contract. People do occasionally decide they want to stay in their home. There is a document for you to sign stating your desire to be released and she should send or give it to you, and then submit it to her office. Lisa
1 vote
John Peterson, , 95003
Mon May 12, 2008
First of all, assuming you don't have a contract in place with a buyer, no one can make you sell your house if you've changed your mind. Just tell your agent you have changed your mind and are not selling at this time. There is probably a form in Oklahoma RE procedures to memorialize the change. If your agent has a problem with this he/she is very short sighted. Real Estate is a people business and building ill will is not a good long term strategy.
1 vote
Ken Rutherfo…, Agent, Tulsa, OK
Mon May 12, 2008
Alice, The final determination of your ability to cancel the listing probably rests not with the associate, but with the Brokerage and specifically the managing Broker of the office where your listing asociate's license is placed.
Check with the manager of the listing office. However, your associate should be familar with the proceedures for cancelling or withdrawing a listing.
1 vote
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Sat Jul 5, 2008

Discuss your situation with your agent and ask him to take it to his broker for consideration. If they are unwilling to cooperate tell them you need to ask a considerably higher price for the property. This should get their attention....

Good luck,
The "Eckelr Team"
0 votes
Joe Blow, , 66667
Thu May 22, 2008
Lisa Manley-Jeffers gave the answer I would have. If the agent balks, ask to speak to the Broker. If you re-assure the Broker that you're not taking the listing elsewhere, they will almost always release the listing. If the Broker balks (rarely if ever happens), the local Realtor association is the next stop, then the Oklahoma Real Estate Commission. As for any agent fee, you'll need to read your listing agreement. I know at my office, an agent attempting to charge a listing cancellation fee would be a breach of contract with our Broker, but every office is independently owned and operated, so the office you selected may charge one.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more