Home Selling in Naples>Question Details

bluevet12, Home Buyer in Naples, FL

Can you sue a realtor if your husband signed without you knowing?

Asked by bluevet12, Naples, FL Tue Jan 8, 2013

Answers

17
A better question would be: "Have I violated the NAR standard of use for the term "Realtor", since we don't know if s/he is a member of the Association?"

Sorry, I figured as long as we were asking non-sensical questions, I'd throw my hat in the ring...
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 8, 2013
Blue,
There are three BIG FLASHING RED LIGHT OPTIONS available to you that you should peruse first.
#1. Chat with husband. You would be surprised how well that works....unless you are suing him already.
-
#2. Chat with the agent.
-
#3. Chat with the agents broker.

Without your co-operation, the home CAN NOT BE SOLD! No one wants to waste their time and resources.

But your first thought was find someone to sue. There is not an attorney in the state of Florida who would not welcome your money. What you expect the outcome to be, however, is a mystery.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 8, 2013
this is your second question asking whether you can sue your Realtor... when it appears that the party at fault is anybody but your Realtor.

Your husband is presumably an adult... and he knew that he was signing without your knowledge... your issue should be with him.

Can you sue? Of course you can.... but whether you will win is entirely up to the facts of the case, and my guess (yes, it's a guess... I'm not a lawyer and this is not legal advice) is that the judge is going to side with the Realtor....

if you have a problem with this contract... the party to talk to is your husband. If he forged your signature, or signed a contract that binds you as well.... he should be sleeping on the couch for a while... but unless you have some facts that truly implicate the Realtor... stop trying to drag him/her through the muck.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 8, 2013
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL
If your husband signed your name without your knowledge I highly recommend you consult with a real estate attorney immediately!!!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 8, 2013
When it comes to any necessary legal advice it's always best to consult with an attorney...
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 8, 2013
If it were me, I'd focus on the divorce rather than a lawsuit against the Realtor... fraud is usually not viewed in a positive light by judges. Make sure you can prove your allegations! Oh, and also, I hope you never gave your husband power of attorney, which would make this whole thing mute.
P. Brandon Perkins, Esq.
The Powell Law Firm
15550 McGregor Blvd. Ste. 101
Fort Myers, FL 33908
(239) 288-4974
pbrandon@powellappeals.com
Question for an attorney....wrong venue here. http://www.naplesrealestateguys.com/
An attorney will be very happy to listen to you.

Why blame the Relator for what the Husband did? Maybe he said he ws single....Realtors are not investigators.
For legal advice you need to ask an attorney, REALTORS® are prohibited from giving legal advice.
Definitely consult an attorney on this one, agents can not give legal advice.
Consult an attorney.

jessemcgreevy@gmail.com
239-898-5329
http://www.Domain-RealtyGroup.com
This is the second legal question you have asked a forum of real estate professionals about suing someone. No one here can give you any legal advice. If you wish to sue someone the only option is to contact an attorney to discuss your situation and potential options.

Best of luck.
Not enough information. Did your husband buy a property in his name alone? Did he forge your signature with the realtors knowledge? More details are needed to answer your question.
Anyone can sue anyone if they have enough money, time and desire. As to whether you have a true legal reason to sue an agent, your neighbor or the President, can not be answered by agents. Legal counsel should be consulted when wanting an answer to a legal question.
What would you sue the Realtor for? I know many real estate agents are often part time relationship counselors, but it's between you and your husband whether he shares things with you.
Web Reference: http://www.archershomes.com
If you want to SUE your Husband,
go right ahead!

But I think the Realtor may be innocent.